Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[GDT] 12-07 Wolves hosting the Dysfunctional family @ 5:30 Pacific

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#91 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

On the up side, I would say the rose coloured glasses we have of our prospects are likely cancelled out by the terrible coaching. We really have some great players who are very underrated. It's just so frustrating when Arniel has no idea what any of the stuff in his toolkit is, and we get to watch 60 minutes of him trying to nail a screw into a plank with a wrench.

Well if that isn't the best damn saying I've heard all day....

#92 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

There's a reason why the Red Wings are such a successful organization. It's not a fluke.

Getting good players through drafting doesn't end after you make your selection. It has to be followed up with good player development. That means a strong farm team, with strong coaching, and strong systems that are identical to the parent team. That way the transition to the NHL is much easier.

For too long the Canucks have had no control over their farm teams, and since AV no coach has really gotten a whole lot out of our prospects.

If guys like Schroeder, Kassian, and Connauton come up to the NHL and try and play the way Arniel has them playing, they're going to be absolutely lost. And likely benched in no time.

We have talented prospects, but their talent is being wasted right now. If Canucks management doesn't step up and do something in the next couple years, we're not going to be developing much high end talent. I'm just glad Jensen is in the SEL right now, and not in the AHL.

Well said.

One could almost say that it's not Detroit's scouting that found gems like Zetterberg and Datsyuk in late rounds, but rather their development program that augmented their potential and gave them the best chance to succeed at the NHL level.

So many times tonight I watched Tanev make a textbook breakout pass only to have a clueless forward out of position struggle back for the puck resulting in a turnover and being hemmed in our own zone. He's making solid NHL level plays but I feel if he gets used to playing this style of undisciplined hockey I feel like it could do some serious damage to his development (even more so for our other prospects).

#93 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Well said.

One could almost say that it's not Detroit's scouting that found gems like Zetterberg and Datsyuk in late rounds, but rather their development program that augmented their potential and gave them the best chance to succeed at the NHL level.

So many times tonight I watched Tanev make a textbook breakout pass only to have a clueless forward out of position struggle back for the puck resulting in a turnover and being hemmed in our own zone. He's making solid NHL level plays but I feel if he gets used to playing this style of undisciplined hockey I feel like it could do some serious damage to his development (even more so for our other prospects).

So true. More than any other game, I saw Tanev just throw the puck out to centre ice tonight cause there was no one in position to pass to. It was brutal. No one was in position to receive, if they were - they fumbled the puck and it came back in the d-zone. If Chris Tanev can't find someone to pass to, I'm fairly certain it's a systems issue.

I honestly think he plays better in games like tonight where everyone else craps the bed. 'Last yrs' Tanev would make the safe play first. This yr he's more aggressive in tough games like tonight - jumping in the play and pinching more. Unfortunately, he's just 1 person, he can't save this sinking ship by himself.

#94 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

What a dumb descision that was, I thaught he was actually standing out at times, alot more than the other players in that role were IMO.

He's been right out of place..........as I said...........a million miles from the NHL
Kevin.jpg

#95 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

Anyone notice how much better the Griffins are at executing their systems?

Arniel has alot of work to do.

Good to have you aboard. I've been saying this for weeks. We also have no constructive passing in our build up. In fact half the time the pass is either garbage or the team mate acts like he had no idea it was coming to him.
We haven't a clue out there and our puck dumping is woeful.
Kevin.jpg

#96 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

The Wolves don't have a system. We have some vague instructions from Arniel. Chicago can't generate offense or play effective defense because Arniel has given them no idea of where to be and where to expect others to be.

Well said.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:32 PM
The Wolves need to learn to up their intensity levels. The trouble is I don't think they can because there are so many new faces.

Individually Tanev often looks lost, Connauton needs to use his size more, and as far as Lack goes I just feel he leaves too many holes due to his lanky build. The defence isn't helping.

Haydar is a shadow of the player he was last season and 2/3 of the the rest just don't look up to the job. I like bits of Longpre, Sterling and both Millar and Gordon look like they are trying to get stuck in.

The defence just doesn't seem to be together as a unit though and that is hurting the rest of the team.

Edited by Bodee, 09 December 2012 - 04:23 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#97 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

Wow. Climie needs to take a crap in his teammates skates. They've left him out to dry all night.

Climie is the best thing about this team............and the crap should be taken in their lids............Still he will have plenty in common with Lu now.
Kevin.jpg

#98 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:10 AM

Both are average coaches at best.

MacT was slightly better than Arniel though. He could at least motivate our prospects.

We've gone from Carlyle, to AV, to Arniel, to MacT, and back to Arniel The quality of our farm team's coaches has gotten worse and worse unfortunately. If the Canucks owned their farm team, they wouldn't have that problem.

With respect DN that is not how I saw it. MacT was useless but lucky to have some of the motivation of old heads and remnants of the earlier Wolves. Their system for what it was .......was more or less established in the team. Players like Haydar, Mancari, Reinprecht (latterly) Baumgartner, Parent, Roussel and Duco understood how to play the AHL game.

You have to smother and play tight and physical in defence and attack. This present team are far too loose, lay off and puck watch far too much. They waste too many opportunities and they still fail to realise the importance of screening the opposition goalie, not that many of their shots are on target anyway. They come off second best in the one on ones irrespective of their size.

Lastly, it has to be said.........again. We overestimate the talent of our prospects. We should grab someone like an up and coming Mark Morrison and let him develop them on the lines of the Canucks systems.
Kevin.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.