31 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

In practice, "equal" force seems to to mean if the threat one is defending themselves against is lethal or not, not closely equivalent.

However, Canadian laws pertaining to both guns and self defence seem to have been deliberately written so that they are vague and open to interpretation.

Also, a lot of times the legalist system in Canada will slap on "unsafe storage" and other charges so that the person who defended themselves will still have legal issues even if the primary charges are stayed or beaten.

Yep.

There's also a moral issue. Law or not, if someone wielded a knife and looked like they were attempting to use it on me, I'd risk manslaughter or unsafe storage and blast them.. if I owned a gun. I'd rather be living as a criminal than dead as a victim of ambiguous law.

This is also why I bypassed being an officer in both Canada and the US -- I feel the law is as useful as it saves lives. When the law would prevent you from defending yourself, the law becomes secondary. Obviously someone with that mindset should not be in the position of enforcing the law.

Edited by zaibatsu, 21 December 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#32 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yep.

There's also a moral issue. Law or not, if someone wielded a knife and looked like they were attempting to use it on me, I'd risk manslaughter or unsafe storage and blast them.. if I owned a gun. I'd rather be living as a criminal than dead as a victim of ambiguous law.

This is also why I bypassed being an officer in both Canada and the US -- I feel the law is as useful as it saves lives. When the law would prevent you from defending yourself, the law becomes secondary. Obviously someone with that mindset should not be in the position of enforcing the law.

Well said. I have a problem with "reasonable force". The only reasonable force a dangerous person understands is a gun in his face. It's why the cops have them don't cha know? The tazers are for ordinary citizens they don't like.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.