The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A "scab" league...

The way I understand it, without a Collective agreement in place, they are free to play wherever they want. That's why we've got guys signing in Europe and directly with AHL and ECHL teams. However, if they ever get it together and agree on a new CBA, then all existing contracts would still be in force based on the provisions of that CBA.

So by your own admission, without a CBA, the players can do what they want and play where ever they want. But the owners cannot hire whomever THEY want to play in the NHL since the union has no contract.

You cant have it 15 different ways. Guys are going around signing and playing wherever they want, but according to you the NHL has to deal only with them and cant hire anyone else.

I think your argument just fell apart.

I disagree. Show me the labor law where it states you have to deal with the same union forever , regardless if you hate their demands. I would really like to see this. Since you say it fits the perfect description of labor law, you should have no problem finding it in law.

Come bring it here. I think that is utter nonsense. So if you build a business, and your work force chooses to unionize, the owners NO LONGER have the right to FIRE their employees.

Is this what you are honestly trying to suggest? You MUST deal with that union forever? The union has rights over your own business.......even though they own none of the business.

Again, go get the law and show me.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all to believe that if the season is lost you are going to have franchises who are disillusioned with the NHL. I don't see it happening in the near future though.

It all depends on what is going on behind closed doors with the board of governors. If it is 7 teams holding the rest hostage based on the numbers needed to over-ride Bettman... then this is a distinct possibility. If they are largely on board with the league strategy then they will just wait for the players to crack.

So the NHL owns the league and the NHLPA owns the current group of players who play in the NHL. They have a union whereas they can decide not to play in the NHL. Fair enough.

Can you explain how this 'union' stops the NHL from getting AHL and otherwise European players to come play in the NHL . More importantly, how does the NHLPA stop the new players from being drafted into the NHL and forming a new union with the scab players?

Glad i came up with something a bit different to talk about and gave everyone some brain candy.

I can see reasons why actually using other players and scabbing the NHL wouldnt work, so yeah i suppose i did use the word "Scab" incorrectly.

I just believe that a league COULD form and turn a profit and make players happier all while the NHL doddles around. Everyone has a bad taste in their mouth right now, and eventually were all going to have to admit that this league is going to do this over and over again. Its a bad system, something is wrong. and a new CBA probably isnt going to fix ALL of the problems...

Jump overboard and make something better! Why go down with the ship?

Of course this is all just what-ifs, buts and becauses... but its different most of our usual topics. ha!

Archived