D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,874 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ital-death.html

Kate nurse who took hoax call found dead
Duke, Duchess of Cambridge saddened by death of nurse who took call from Australia

CBC News Posted: Dec 7, 2012 10:44 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 7, 2012 2:33 PM ET  

The nurse who took a hoax call from two Australian broadcasters at the hospital treating the Duchess of Cambridge in London earlier this week has been found dead, King Edward VII's Hospital confirmed today.

The hospital said Jacintha Saldanha had been a victim of the call made by two Australian radio disc jockeys.

Saldhana was the first to answer the call Tuesday from two Australian broadcasters posing as Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles seeking information about the condition of the duchess.

Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, was admitted to hospital earlier this week with severe morning sickness early into her pregnancy. (Alastair Grant/Associated Press)Her first responses and those of a second nurse to whom she transferred the call were recorded and broadcast.

Kate had been admitted to the hospital on Monday, suffering from acute morning sickness.

"This is a tragic event," hospital chairman Lord Glenarthur said in a statement. "Jacintha was a first-class nurse who cared diligently for hundreds of patients during her time with us. She will be greatly missed."

The hospital added: "We can confirm that Jacintha was recently the victim of a hoax call to the hospital. The hospital had been supporting her throughout this difficult time."

Prince William and Kate issued a statement saying they were deeply saddened to learn of the death of Saldanha.

"Their Royal Highnesses were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII Hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha's family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time," the palace statement said.

In the call from Australia on Tuesday, a woman doing a less-than-perfect imitation of Queen Elizabeth asked about the duchess's health.

She was told by a second nurse who took the call from Saldanha that the duchess, the former Kate Middleton, "hasn't had any retching with me, and she's been sleeping on and off."

The nurse went on to tell the personalities that Kate had had an uneventful night. The phoney queen and prince talked about travelling to the hospital to check in on the patient.

The hospital said it supported Saldanha in the aftermath of the call and that its phone protocols were under review.

Scotland Yard said initially today that they were treating a woman's death as "unexplained."

Paramedics had been unable to revive her.

The Royal College of Nursing in the U.K. issued a statement that said, "It is deeply saddening that a simple human error due to a cruel hoax could lead to the death of a dedicated and caring member of the nursing profession."

In Australia, people quickly began to attack the perpetrators of the hoax call, 2DayFM personalities Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who had apologized for the prank.

"The best you deserve is to lose all of your listeners and be closed down," wrote one commenter. "Who is going to take responsibility for this??"

The station said Friday that Greig and Christian were "deeply saddened by the tragic news" of the nurse's death.

The statement announced that the pair have agreed not to comment on the "circumstances" and that they and the station "have decided that they will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy."

Although I feel bad for the nurse, is this really the fault of the DJ's? Not the fault of the insane media over in Britain? Not the fault of any of the hospital staff criticizing her for her mistake? Not potentially the fault of representatives of the Monarchy getting involved?

When I heard about this story, I thought it was humorous, and that was all. I didn't even care to look up the details. But I imagine the crazies in Britain were all over this story and the poor nurse.

Edited by D-Money, 07 December 2012 - 12:57 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Feel so bad for her :(
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#3 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Sad.

But it's not the radio DJ's fault really. It wasn't malicious in any way.

#4 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

People take life way too seriously.

#5 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

What did they say that would make her kill herself? I don't understand.

#6 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I actually feel bad for the radio show DJ's, they must feel awful. Who would have thought a simple little prank would lead to this. You have to wonder what went on after the call, if the women was disciplined by the hospital in a harsh way or recieved harsh words from co-workers. I can't imagine accepting the call alone would cause her to take such drastic action as taking her own life.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#7 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

In a word .. tragic ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#8 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,300 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

The nurse is the only person to blame for this. Suicide is easily the most selfish thing a person can do. I'm sure she has family and friends that are now deeply saddened, not to mention the will hang on the minds of the dj's likely forever. Suicide is the cowards way out, plain and simple.

#9 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

The nurse is the only person to blame for this.  Suicide is easily the most selfish thing a person can do. I'm sure she has family and friends that are now deeply saddened, not to mention the will hang on the minds of the dj's likely forever.  Suicide is the cowards way out, plain and simple.

No one's to blame. The nurse likely had other issues or a mental illness that she was dealing with and life became so dark for her she may not have seen any other way out. Do you blame Rypien or Belak for the path they sadly decided to take?
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#10 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Just stupid to be making prank calls like that in the first place. RIP to the nurse and I hope the DJs aren't DJs very long.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#11 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

While I agree that taking her life was a terrible thing for her to do, but what's the point in the "prank" anyway? It wasn't funny. Seems really dumb to me.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#12 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,660 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

What did they say that would make her kill herself? I don't understand.

Me either, totally don't understand. She got a hoax on a 911 call and killed herself? That's stupid.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#13 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Just leave them alone. William lost his mother to paparazzi, he does not need his wife to become depressed when she is pregnant.
Posted Image

#14 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,874 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I actually feel bad for the radio show DJ's, they must feel awful.  Who would have thought a simple little prank would lead to this.  You have to wonder what went on after the call, if the women was disciplined by the hospital in a harsh way or recieved harsh words from co-workers.  I can't imagine accepting the call alone would cause her to take such drastic action as taking her own life.

That's what I thought.

Of course, nobody wants to see their own actions as contributing to the problem. So they all point fingers at the seemingly innocent action that got the ball rolling.

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."
Voltaire
Posted Image

#15 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,300 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

No one's to blame. The nurse likely had other issues or a mental illness that she was dealing with and life became so dark for her she may not have seen any other way out. Do you blame Rypien or Belak for the path they sadly decided to take?

Yeah I do. I've battled through extreme bouts of depression in my life back in the day and no matter how bad it got I never thought of killing myself. I always thought about the people I would hurt by doing it. No matter how bad it gets, there are always ways to make it better.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 07 December 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#16 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

POPULAR

Just stupid to be making prank calls like that in the first place. RIP to the nurse and I hope the DJs aren't DJs very long.

Why? They're not to blame for the suicide. How should they know that a harmless prank call (and yes - it was harmless) would result in this? They probably feel terrible. But they should not lose their jobs.

Yeah I do, as stated, suicide is a cowards way out. I've battled through extreme bouts of depression in my life back in the day and no matter how bad it got I never thought of killing myself. I always thought about the people I would hurt by doing it. No matter how bad it gets, there are always ways to make it better.

Yeah, well. Not everybody is you. Some people can't handle depression as well. Calling her a coward is a horrible move as well. Stop being so narrow minded.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 07 December 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#17 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Exactly. Some people just need to take things with a pinch of salt and move on. So unnecessary...
Posted Image

#18 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Edited by RyanKeslord17, 07 December 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Posted Image

#19 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

The article says the DJs pretended to be royalty and they asked about the Dutchess' health, not sure why that is even part of the article.

Sounds to me like she must have committed suicide for another reason, too bad the article doesn't even attempt to explain why she did it, or even offer any guesses. I highly doubt she killed herself because she had to listen to someone asking how one of her patients was doing.
Posted Image

#20 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,006 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Just another reason to be rid of the royals.
Posted Image

#21 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,312 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Am I the only one who has a hard time believing that a prank call caused enough humiliation for this woman to kill herself?

Something tells me there's more to it...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#22 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

The article says the DJs pretended to be royalty and they asked about the Dutchess' health, not sure why that is even part of the article.

Sounds to me like she must have committed suicide for another reason, too bad the article doesn't even attempt to explain why she did it, or even offer any guesses. I highly doubt she killed herself because she had to listen to someone asking how one of her patients was doing.

My guess is that she was already fragile and the pressure that she was put under by her bosses and the horrible media in this country just tipped her over.

Won't know for sure until we find out more about her though.

#23 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Why? They're not to blame for the suicide. How should they know that a harmless prank call (and yes - it was harmless) would result in this? They probably feel terrible. But they should not lose their jobs.

Yeah, well. Not everybody is you. Some people can't handle depression as well. Calling her a coward is a horrible move as well. Stop being so narrow minded.

Nearly 30 years ago i lost 4 very close friends to suicide ,2 of them in horrific circumstances, and had one half arsed atttempt at it myself , and while i would not would not use the world cowardly , i will use the word selfish , Suicide is not painless when you leave everyone in pain .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#24 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

The majority of the people on this thread say the DJs are not to blame and pranks are harmless.

I disagree since the call precipated the suicide. If the call was NOT made, the nurse may be still alive. It was the trigger that caused the suicide.

Everyone has said that the nurse was depressed or suffered from mental illness. We don't know that for sure. Was there something else affecting her like family problems.

Pranks are not always harmless. People sometimes die from so called pranks.

Whether the DJ should be fire or not is debateable but that is something that will be on their conscience for the rest of their lives.

#25 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

The prank call *may* have been harmless but it still resulted in death. And how old are these guys to be doing pranks like this. I got over that when I turned 19. It was a low life move to boost ratings in my opinion.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#26 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,504 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

By the sounds of it, the DJ's didn't really expect to be patched through to Kate's private nurse. They were extremely unconvincing in the roles of the Queen and Prince Charles and they didn't even know what to say when the nurse answered the phone. The whole gig was totally meant to be a joke. And once the info of the error was leaked, the Royal Family was actually pretty cool about it and didn't take issue with the hospital or its staff.

I'd say this was a bit of an overreaction on the nurse's part. And I don't think the DJ's should be blamed. Yes, there is such a thing as a joke being taken too far but, in this case, I don't think they intended for it to be taken that far. They probably expected to be met with resistance about 5 seconds into the phone call and that would have been the end of it. The fact that they got so far into the process is no fault of theirs.

It's sad that the nurse felt suicide was her only option. She made a mistake but, in the grand scheme of things, no harm was done and it could have just been used as a learning opportunity for everyone involved. Instead it's been turned into quite a tragic story. I just hope that all the hoopla and obsession surrounding the pregnancy doesn't add extra stress onto the shoulders of Kate. She seems like an impressive person and she and William deserve the best, especially after how things unfolded for Diana and Charles.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#27 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Yeah I do. I've battled through extreme bouts of depression in my life back in the day and no matter how bad it got I never thought of killing myself. I always thought about the people I would hurt by doing it. No matter how bad it gets, there are always ways to make it better.

This I completely agree with as I've had that go through my mind as well, I would say it is a completely rational viewpoint. Unfortunately you cannot expect everyone considering suicide to hold a rational state of mind, seeing as they're considering freaking suicide.

#28 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,874 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

The majority of the people on this thread say the DJs are not to blame and pranks are harmless.

I disagree since the call precipated the suicide.  If the call was NOT made, the nurse may be still alive.   It was the trigger that caused the suicide.

I think that's being overly simplistic. These sorts of fake radio calls go on all the time, and have been so for decades.

The call itself didn't do much of anything. Most people would just laugh it off. The main cause is likely the guilt and shame that was likely heaped on the poor lady from the media, the hospital, and possibly even the royal family.
Posted Image

#29 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

POPULAR

Nearly 30 years ago i lost 4 very close friends to suicide ,2 of them in horrific circumstances, and had one half arsed atttempt at it myself , and while i would not would not use the world cowardly , i will use the word selfish , Suicide is not painless when you leave everyone in pain .

So it is wrong to kill yourself, leaving others to live in pain for your own convenience, but it is perfectly okay to denounce suicide, and expect another to live in pain for your own convenience?

It is impossible to be selfish in this situation, because your life is yours and yours alone.

How hard is it to understand you are responsible for yourself. If you would feel sad if someone close to you dies, that is your problem, and is not their fault. It is like saying a girl has to marry you because you love her, and you would be sad if she rejected you. Too bad if you would be sad, she has every right to marry who she pleases. Same goes with living and dying, no one is required to live solely for your amusement, that is called slavery and we have moved past such despicable acts.
Posted Image

#30 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

POPULAR

So it is wrong to kill yourself, leaving others to live in pain for your own convenience, but it is perfectly okay to denounce suicide, and expect another to live in pain for your own convenience?

It is impossible to be selfish in this situation, because your life is yours and yours alone.

How hard is it to understand you are responsible for yourself. If you would feel sad if someone close to you dies, that is your problem, and is not their fault. It is like saying a girl has to marry you because you love her, and you would be sad if she rejected you. Too bad if you would be sad, she has every right to marry who she pleases. Same goes with living and dying, no one is required to live solely for your amusement, that is called slavery and we have moved past such despicable acts.

What about the people who love you ?

You are welcome to your opinion , but it sounds to me like you have a very selfish , "it's all about ME" attitude.
a persons actions have consequences for their loved ones , have you ever had to organise a funeral for a loved one who took their life ? have you ever lowered the coffin of a loved one into their grave after they have taken their life ? I have , and these were some of the most painful experiences of my life

I reiterate taking your own life is a very selfish act.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.