The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nurse who took prank call commits suicide

D-Money

When adults on live radio make prank calls what does it say to children? In some ways our society has made great improvements but in others it's been going down hill. Particularly in having respect for others.

These DJs should face some sort of lawsuit or criminal charge, mischief at the very least. Perhaps it's illegal to access other ppl's medical records. Not sure but I have a feeling prosecutors will do something or at least attempt to.

I saw this story on TV before the suicide and I couldn't believe it. I was upset at these 2 clowns for making this prank call. Now I'm just furious. This is unacceptable.

I disagree since the call precipated the suicide. If the call was NOT made, the nurse may be still alive. It was the trigger that caused the suicide.

On the same hand, let's say you're out driving and a child runs into the street. You don't see the kid because it just bolted out between 2 cars and you can't stop. You hit and kill the kid. If you weren't out driving, the kid would still be alive. But I would in no way blame you. These things just sadly happen.

Rolling my eyes at those of you wanting sanctions taken against the Aussie DJs who pulled off this prank call. Bro Jake & company at Rock 101 used to do it all the time, Larry & Willy were notorious for their prank calls, DJs all over the world do this sort of thing all the time.........and who knows what the fallout from some of those calls were? This one is big news only because of the family involved and the tragic outcome that is splattered all over media around the world.

It's sad that someone is dead, but we don't know all the circumstances in this woman's life. I do know that the pressure of being a nurse in a British hospital is very, very different than being a nurse here in Canada, and let's face it, there was a huge mistake made in the protocol of dealing with a high level patient in their hospital.

Rolling my eyes at those of you wanting sanctions taken against the Aussie DJs who pulled off this prank call. Larry and Willie at Rock 101 used to do it all the time, DJs all over the world do this sort of thing all the time.........and who knows what the fallout from some of those calls were? This one is big news only because of the family involved and the tragic outcome that is splattered all over media around the world.

It's sad that someone is dead, but we don't know all the circumstances in this woman's life. I do know that the pressure of being a nurse in a British hospital is very, very different than being a nurse here in Canada, and let's face it, there was a huge mistake made in the protocol of dealing with a high level patient in their hospital. One does not give out private information on a patient ....even in Canada......let alone private information on a member of the the Royal family.

I don't recall Larry and Willy working at 101.

this isn't an objective truth about suicide, so when you speak of it in generalities, or worse, when you speak of it as if your own experiences are the defining experience, your "logic" is even more twisted than his

you simply disagree with his opinion. you don't need to pad your silly response with "i thought i'd seen it all! this is so illogical!" or whatever

A lot of strange and suspicious "suicides" involving high profile controversial people happen in Britain, don't they? It's almost like somebody is sending a message out there, making it loud and clear that they have the police firmly in their grip.

What about the people who love you ?

You are welcome to your opinion , but it sounds to me like you have a very selfish , "it's all about ME" attitude.

a persons actions have consequences for their loved ones , have you ever had to organise a funeral for a loved one who took their life ? have you ever lowered the coffin of a loved one into their grave after they have taken their life ? I have , and these were some of the most painful experiences of my life

I reiterate taking your own life is a very selfish act.

Screw the idiotic British monarchy, screw the horrible British press, screw the morons who read their crap, screw obnoxious morning radio DJs everywhere, screw the morons who listen to their crap, screw the "entertainment news" sleazebags the world over, and screw the pathetic excuses for human beings who value anything they spew. Screw the jackasses in this thread who blame the victim too. I bet if you made a simple mistake that humiliated you internationally, lost you your job, and infuriated your government authority, you'd likely off yourself too.

Posted · Hidden by Captain Bob, December 8, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Captain Bob, December 8, 2012 - No reason given

That's what mental illness will do to you.

People who commit suicide are neither selfish, nor are they cowards, they simply may just not be in a stable enough mind to think about what may come afterwards, and are unable to convince themselves that things may get better.

Screw the idiotic British monarchy, screw the horrible British press, screw the morons who read their crap, screw obnoxious morning radio DJs everywhere, screw the morons who listen to their crap, screw the "entertainment news" sleazebags the world over, and screw the pathetic excuses for human beings who value anything they spew. Screw the jackasses in this thread who blame the victim too. I bet if you made a simple mistake that humiliated you internationally, lost you your job, and infuriated your government authority, you'd likely off yourself too.

That's what mental illness will do to you.

People who commit suicide are neither selfish, nor are they cowards, they simply may just not be in a stable enough mind to think about what may come afterwards, and are unable to convince themselves that things may get better.

The dj's should most definitely take some blame. They instigated a prank that would ultimately lead to negative consequences for the victim if the prank was a success. They had to of known that before they picked up the phone. Whether the nurse would be fired, or publicly ridiculed at the highest level, the repercussions were potentially huge for whoever fell for it.

This isn't like ordering some pizzas to your local mayors house.

Archived