The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nurse who took prank call commits suicide

D-Money

personally, out of this whole thing, what amazes me most is the absolutly vomit inducing obsession some people have with celebrity lives...

british royals

bieber

obama

jolie/pitt

tom cruise

are just a few that immidiatly come to mind...

poor lady got caught up in all that. From the hoards of people wanting to see whats going on, to the hostile reaction she probably recieved afterwards...

personally, out of this whole thing, what amazes me most is the absolutly vomit inducing obsession some people have with celebrity lives...

british royals

bieber

obama

jolie/pitt

tom cruise

are just a few that immidiatly come to mind...

poor lady got caught up in all that. From the hoards of people wanting to see whats going on, to the hostile reaction she probably recieved afterwards...

I still really dont get it. The DJs made a prank call claiming to be British royals, saying that they were going to come to the hospital and visit Kate, the nurse commits suicide?

Please let me know if I missed something. I've been up all night so I might have.

I still really dont get it. The DJs made a prank call claiming to be British royals, saying that they were going to come to the hospital and visit Kate, the nurse commits suicide?

Please let me know if I missed something. I've been up all night so I might have.

I bet if you made a simple mistake that humiliated you internationally, lost you your job, and infuriated your government authority, you'd likely off yourself too.

I have two kids, so I certainly would not. Where would that leave them?

And VCR, above ^....I think you should know the entire story...from what they're saying, she was a nurse who wasn't on switchboard who simply answered/transferred the call. I don't believe she was the one giving the info.

My point in this is that "stability" comes into question. Public humiliation does not trump the health and well being of your children so, despite how horrible this prank turned out to be, people are well within their rights to question her decision in this to end her life.

Thing is, she likely should have taken the time to answer to the call properly (vs hastily) when deciding to answer it at all. That prank should have been shut down before the point of entry.

Radio stations do this ALL the time...do I agree with it? - no. But, generally, the people on the other end do their job thoroughly and do the required security type checks before divulging information to people over the phone.

I'm not pointing a finger at anyone or letting anyone off the hook but, in my mind, it's an unfortunate series of events. Who could foresee this outcome?

If anyone saw the elevator prank, that one went WAY too far and this whole idiot mentality with pranks is now coming full circle. There are repercussions when you fool people in order to get a laugh. It's at their expense but could come back to bite you in the behind if that toll is too great.

This shows how stupid you people are that don't understand how it'd mess someone up. What fricking 911 call are you yapping about? Wow, idiots....Would you like to be humliated infront of millions and millions of people. Esp when it concerned the "Royals" and your job all at the same time!? Quit being so ignorant to how she got fooled, and was talking about a patient to a couple tools, whom of which had no right t ANY of her(Kate's) information, AND to the happenings after the call.

I have two kids, so I certainly would not. Where would that leave them?

And VCR, above ^....I think you should know the entire story...from what they're saying, she was a nurse who wasn't on switchboard who simply answered/transferred the call. I don't believe she was the one giving the info.

My point in this is that "stability" comes into question. Public humiliation does not trump the health and well being of your children so, despite how horrible this prank turned out to be, people are well within their rights to question her decision in this to end her life.

Thing is, she likely should have taken the time to answer to the call properly (vs hastily) when deciding to answer it at all. That prank should have been shut down before the point of entry.

Radio stations do this ALL the time...do I agree with it? - no. But, generally, the people on the other end do their job thoroughly and do the required security typ

This shows how stupid you people are that don't understand how it'd mess someone up. What fricking 911 call are you yapping about? Wow, idiots....Would you like to be humliated infront of millions and millions of people. Esp when it concerned the "Royals" and your job all at the same time!? Quit being so ignorant to how she got fooled, and was talking about a patient to a couple tools, whom of which had no right t ANY of her(Kate's) information, AND to the happenings after the call.

It's not even the nurse that disclosed it. It's the one that answered and passed it off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Quang_Duc#Self-immolation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates#Trial_and_death

is virtually every case of assisted suicide a matter of irrationality and mental health deterioration? nope, nope, nope.

suicide isn't necessarily a "selfish act" (I mean, of course it is, in that all acts ARE selfish), but it's dismissive to talk about it like that.

it's also dismissive to say that all suicide cases are a matter of mental deterioration, desperation, irrationality, or because their lives are so painful they have no other choice.

sometimes suicide is just the right choice for a rational person to make.

The latest on the fall-out from the ill-considered prank.

It started out as a harmless joke, but ended in tragedy.

The sudden death of a nurse who unwittingly accepted a prank call to a London hospital about Prince William’s pregnant wife Kate has shocked Britain and Australia, and sparked an angry backlash Saturday from some who argue the DJs who carried out the hoax should be held responsible.

At first, the call by two irreverent Australian DJs posing as royals was picked up by news outlets around the world as an amusing anecdote about the royal pregnancy.

Some complained about the invasion of privacy, the hospital was embarrassed, and the radio presenters sheepishly apologized.

But the prank took a dark twist Friday with the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha, a 46-year-old mother of two, three days after she took the hoax call.

Police have not yet determined Saldanha’s cause of death, but people from London to Sydney have been making the assumption that she died because of stress from the call.

AUSSIE RADIO STATION CHASTISED

King Edward VII’s Hospital, where the former Kate Middleton was being treated for acute morning sickness this week, wrote a strongly worded letter to parent company Southern Cross Austereo, condemning the “truly appalling” hoax and urging it to take steps to ensure such an incident would never happen again.

“The immediate consequence of these premeditated and ill-considered actions was the humiliation of two dedicated and caring nurses who were simply doing their job tending to their patients,” the letter read.

“The longer-term consequence has been reported around the world and is, frankly, tragic beyond words.”

DJs SILENCED

DJs Mel Grieg and Michael Christian, who apologized Tuesday for the prank, took down their Twitter accounts after they were bombarded by thousands of abusive comments.

Rhys Holleran, CEO of the 2DayFM radio station’s parent company, Southern Cross Austereo, said the pair have been offered counselling and were taken off the air indefinitely.

No one could have foreseen the tragic consequences of the prank, he stressed.

“I spoke to both presenters early this morning and it’s fair to say they’re completely shattered,” Holleran told reporters Saturday.

“These people aren’t machines — they’re human beings,” he said. “We’re all affected by this.”

‘FIRST-CLASS NURSE’

Details about Saldanha have been trickling out since the duty nurse’s body was found at apartments provided by the private hospital, which has treated a line of royals before, including Prince Philip, who was hospitalized there in June for a bladder infection.

The nurse, who was originally from India, had lived with her partner Benedict Barboza and a teenage son and daughter in Bristol, in southwestern England, for the past nine years.

The hospital praised her as a “first-class nurse” who was well respected and popular among colleagues during her four years working there.

Just before dawn Tuesday, Saldanha was looking after her patients when the phone rang. A woman pretending to be Queen Elizabeth asked to speak to the duchess, and, believing the caller, Saldanha transferred the call to a fellow nurse caring for the duchess, who spoke to the two DJs about Kate’s condition live on air.

During the call — which was put online and later broadcast on news channels worldwide — Grieg mimicked the Britain’s monarch’s voice and asked about the duchess’s health. She was told Kate “hasn’t had any retching with me and she’s been sleeping on and off.”

Grieg and Christian, who pretended to be Prince Charles, also discussed with the nurse when they could travel to the hospital to check in on Kate.

NURSE NOT REPRIMANDED

Three days later, officers responding to reports that a woman was found unconscious discovered Saldanha, who was pronounced dead at the scene. Police didn’t release a cause of death, but said they didn’t find anything suspicious. A coroner will make a determination on the cause.

In the aftermath of Saldanha’s death, some speculated about whether the nurse was subject to pressure to resign or about to be punished for the mistake.

Royal officials said Prince William and Kate were “deeply saddened” but insisted that the palace had not complained about the hoax. King Edward VII’s Hospital also maintained that it did not reprimand Saldanha.

“We did not discipline the nurse in question. There were no plans to discipline her,” a hospital spokesman said. He declined to provide further details and did not respond to questions about the second nurse’s condition.

AUSTRALIAN REGULATORS WEIGH IN

The Australian Communications and Media Authority, which regulates radio broadcasting, said it has received complaints about the prank and is discussing the matter with the Sydney-based station, which yanked its Facebook page after it received thousands of angry comments.

Holleran, the radio executive, would not say who came up with the idea for the call. He only said that “these things are often done collaboratively.”

The station, 2DayFM, will work with authorities, he said, but he was confident it hadn’t broken any laws, noting that prank calls in radio have been happening “for decades.”

The station has a history of controversy, including a series of Heartless Hotline shows in which disadvantage people were offered a prize that could be taken away from them by listeners.

Saldanha’s family asked for privacy in a brief statement issued through London police.

Flowers were left outside the hospital’s nurse’s apartments, with one note reading: “Dear Jacintha, our thoughts are with you and your family. From all your fellow nurses, we bless your soul. God bless.”

Officials from St. James’s Palace have said the duchess is not yet 12 weeks pregnant. The child would be the first for her and William.

http://www.theprovince.com/life/royals/Royal+hoax+nurse+death+spark+angry+backlash/7672025/story.html#ixzz2EUoUXdEN

So it is wrong to kill yourself, leaving others to live in pain for your own convenience, but it is perfectly okay to denounce suicide, and expect another to live in pain for your own convenience?

It is impossible to be selfish in this situation, because your life is yours and yours alone.

How hard is it to understand you are responsible for yourself. If you would feel sad if someone close to you dies, that is your problem, and is not their fault. It is like saying a girl has to marry you because you love her, and you would be sad if she rejected you. Too bad if you would be sad, she has every right to marry who she pleases. Same goes with living and dying, no one is required to live solely for your amusement, that is called slavery and we have moved past such despicable acts.

On the face of it, it seems selfish on her part, considering she has two kids to raise, but that's as far as I'm willing to go until there's more details. But that's just how I genuinely feel about this issue, which I should be entitled to feel immediately.

I should put a disclaimer on the following things I'm about to write. I am assuming some information based on what has been provided by the media which is most likely going to be biased and incorrect.

Regarding the above LostViking's post, it is very different if she is living alone with no dependents. The problem is that she has dependents and it looks like she chose to put her ego and what-not in front of the kids.

The kids now have to go through adoption which may or may not affect their development. She's a mother and she should know this better than anyone else. It seems she gave them up for herself. That or she was never a fit mother to begin with.

Would it matter if she abandoned her kids to live with another man? There's not that much of a difference.

Archived