The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nurse who took prank call commits suicide

D-Money

I stand by my thinking that the hospital would have never been in a situation that "led to the humiliation" of people if calls were properly screened, as they should have been. The nurse did do something wrong if she answered a switchboard that was not part of her regular duties. And, to abruptly transfer a call without adequately verifying the caller's identity? It's a tragic series of events, but no one could have foreseen that it would lead to death. Embarrassment shouldn't - especially in regard to a mother and if she had pre-existing issues that deemed her fragile, why was she even on the job attending to others? The hospital likely dropped the ball on that one, too.

I think the hospital should be reviewing their policies on who they readily pass confidential information to and the process of identification (first).

One life was lost over this...I don't see the need to ruin 3. Things do happen and I think the hospital owns just as much - no, more - responsibility in the decisions of their employees while on the job. And in not recognizing that one nurse, in particular, may have been unstable?

Is there one single person who honestly thinks these DJ's would have done this knowing that someone would kill themselves in the end? I've heard many calls like this (CFox does it all the time)....but they are shut down as quickly as they're started and that should have been the case here. A bit of harmless fun that, unfortunately, went too far....but that's because the hospital receiving the call let it.

It's called humour. I've heard funny prank calls on radio before. It's not necessarily "immature or stupid" as you put it. The point of radio is to entertain and that's what they were trying to do. Hell, I found it quite amusing when I first read the story.

As I've posted already, there was absolutely no malice in their call and from the interview I've seen them in they are completely gutted. The people calling for them to be fired (or even worse) should be ashamed of themselves.

British police have reportedly launched an investigation and Australian police are cooperating.

British police say they have contacted Australian authorities about a possible investigation into an Australian radio station's hoax call to a U.K. hospital.

The callers impersonated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles and received confidential details about the former Kate Middleton's medical information. The call was recorded and broadcast.

The prank took an ugly twist Friday with the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha, a 46-year-old mother of two, three days after she took the hoax call.

Police have not yet determined Saldanha's cause of death, but people from London to Sydney have been making the assumption that she died because of stress from the call.

The disk jockeys involved have been suspended indefinitely.

Australian police Sunday confirmed they had been contacted by London police and said they would cooperate.

Absolutely right.

99.9% of prank calls, people think are funny. Now, when we have a situation where someone commits suicide (despite the abscence of a clear connection to the call) people are calling the act immature and unprofessional, or are calling for the firing of the callers.

I think  pranking a Hospital should be illegal in the same way pranking 911 is illegal.

Try pranking 911 and see how funny that turns out.

These people have serious and stressful jobs and should never need to worry about being the butt of some idiots prank.

RUP

Oh I don't expect anything to happen like that, more likely it is a crime in Canada and Australia to impersonate the Queen, but I do not care enough to look it up. Probably punishable by a week in stocks in the town square.

I think I heard the lady prankster crying on the radio this morning, and they may have been fired.

either way there is a reason I do not listen to the Q, Fox or Jack and it has more to do with not wanting to listen to "Radio Personalities" than it does having to listen to the music.

It would probably be better for all concerned if they get fired, nothing more. A fresh start would be good for them at this point.

A possible offence would be under section 55 of the UK Data Protection Act, 1998 that makes it an offence for third parties, such as hackers and impersonators, outside the organisation to obtain unauthorized access to the personal data of a person held by that organization.

RUP

Oh I don't expect anything to happen like that, more likely it is a crime in Canada and Australia to impersonate the Queen, but I do not care enough to look it up. Probably punishable by a week in stocks in the town square.

I think I heard the lady prankster crying on the radio this morning, and they may have been fired.

either way there is a reason I do not listen to the Q, Fox or Jack and it has more to do with not wanting to listen to "Radio Personalities" than it does having to listen to the music.

It would probably be better for all concerned if they get fired, nothing more. A fresh start would be good for them at this point.

Oh my God, you'd totally be right. If it weren't for the fact that it's not the same thing or even closely comparable to it.

The radio station aren't at fault because it was a harmless, malice free joke. Now, if they'd called up the hospital and been verbally abusive to the poor woman, then I'd acknowledge your point. But they didn't and there was nothing to suggest that what they did would lead to what happened. It's hugely unfortunate but not the fault of the DJ's.

Archived