147 replies to this topic

#121 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Whether they broke data protection laws or not isn't relevant regarding whether they are directly responsible for the nurse's death. They didn't set out to cause harm and in my opinion are not.

If they broke the Data Protection Act (or whatever it is now) then that's a separate issue that will no doubt be dealt with.

Criminal negligence causing death?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#122 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

A possible offence would be under section 55 of the UK Data Protection Act, 1998 that makes it an offence for third parties, such as hackers and impersonators, outside the organisation to obtain unauthorized access to the personal data of a person held by that organization.

I don't really know about 'ignorance of the law', but consider subsection 2(b ) of section 55:

(2)Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who shows—
(a)that the obtaining, disclosing or procuring—
(i)was necessary for the purpose of preventing or detecting crime, or

(ii)was required or authorised by or under any enactment, by any rule of law or by the order of a court,

(b)that he acted in the reasonable belief that he had in law the right to obtain or disclose the data or information or, as the case may be, to procure the disclosure of the information to the other person,

(c ) that he acted in the reasonable belief that he would have had the consent of the data controller if the data controller had known of the obtaining, disclosing or procuring and the circumstances of it, or

(d )that in the particular circumstances the obtaining, disclosing or procuring was justified as being in the public interest.

http://www.legislati...8/29/section/55

In the case of (d), I would imagine that a defence lawyer might want to point to all the UK tabloids as demonstration of a public interest....though for me personally it seems like more of a stretch than (b ).

Additionally, even if these two were found guilty under this section of the DPA, it seems as if the penalty is quite low (i.e. non-custodial):

Section 55 of the DPA creates an offence to knowingly or recklessly obtain, disclose or procure personal data, in the absence of the consent of the organisation holding the data. As the law currently stands, offences under this section are punishable only by way of a fine. In summary convictions, the fine is restricted to £5,000 but conviction on indictment can lead to an unlimited fine being imposed. In research conducted by the Information Commissioner, Richard Thomas, prosecutions brought under section 55 have to date generally resulted in relatively low penalties, either by way of minimal fines or conditional discharges. There has been a growing recognition in enforcement circles that the current legislative provisions are not tough enough to prevent or deter illegal trade in personal data, and that new, stronger measures are now necessary.

http://www.takelegal...-Personal-Data/

Edited by Down by the River, 10 December 2012 - 06:11 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#123 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Manslaughter by prank call? Clutching at straws.

Correct me if I'm wrong (you know a hell of a lot more about the subject than I do), but when considering negligence don't you have to take into account whether or not a "reasonable" person might have had any expectation that their actions could result in a crime taking place? In this case the death of the nurse?

(Poorly worded, I know. But I've been tripping over my own words all day long and can't be bothered retyping).

Can you really make the assumption that the radio station staff expected the call to result in someone's death?

#124 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

How do they determine it was the phone call that caused the nurse's death. I'm approaching this question from a research/methodological viewpoint, which perhaps differs from a legal perspective; however, establishing that the prank phone call, and not any other factor, was the reason for cause of death seems pretty difficult to do. Did the prank phone call cause death? Was it public shame? Was death influenced by the media? Was the victim suffering and thus influenced by underlying depression which the callers were not aware of?

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#125 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Dj's should not be charged at all. A prank call is a prank call. The nurse is the idiot who took her own life. I don't care how we see it, commiting suicide just because of a prank call is not the way to do it.
Posted Image

#126 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Just saw both the DJ's on the news crying about this. Seems like they are genuinely upset about it. I don't think they should be held responsible as the woman who took her life was obviously in a fragile state. Maybe the prank put her over the edge but who's to say that it wouldn't have been something else a couple hours/days/weeks later(had this not happened)? I dunno, just a really sad situation for all those involved. :sadno:
Posted Image

#127 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

That was actually a fairly tame prank call.

While I don't think the prank callers should be encouraged to do this, blaming them for the suicide is ridiculous. There are thousands of prank calls made around the world every year by radio stations, and many more privately, most of them more offensive than this one. This one just happens to be high profile with an apparent tragic result: I say apparent because we really have no idea why the nurse committed suicide. At the very most the prank call is just the final step that pushed a very troubled person over the edge.

Take the famous Sarah Palin prank call.

That is a hilarious piece of comedy, and the prankers were treated like heroes after it. If Palin or her Aid had happened to commit suicide after the call, should the prankers really have gone from being treated like heroes to murderers? :sadno:

#128 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Posted Image

#129 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,399 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

This is just the point I was making earlier, Wet. Don't the courts have to prove that the prank call is what precipitated the suicide?

If there is no suicide note saying that this incident is what caused her to kill herself, how do they know for sure that it wasn't something else?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#130 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Just saw both the DJ's on the news crying about this. Seems like they are genuinely upset about it. I don't think they should be held responsible as the woman who took her life was obviously in a fragile state. Maybe the prank put her over the edge but who's to say that it wouldn't have been something else a couple hours/days/weeks later(had this not happened)? I dunno, just a really sad situation for all those involved. :sadno:

Absolutely. Look, it is terrible when people commit suicide. One of my closest friends in university hung himself; we found out later that he was bipolar (none of us knew or could tell). However, in most circumstances (not all), placing blame on anyone other than the person who committed suicide is wrong.I had come dangerously close to killing myself years ago, for which I had my reasons for. However, at the end of the day, had I gone through with it, it would not have been anyone elses fault but my own, regardless what I would have put down in a note.These two DJs, regardless of the fact that I think their job sucks (DJs are incredibly annoying), this tragedy is not their fault. And shame on anyone who thinks otherwise.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#131 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Well, you're the barrister, but I still don't like their chances of convicting these two of any crime.

Seems like the crime is airing conversation without permission.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...adio-hoax-.html

Which actually has nothing to do with the suicide.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#132 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,399 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Seems like the crime is airing conversation without permission.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...adio-hoax-.html

Which actually has nothing to do with the suicide.

Interesting. Hard to believe that someone would get 5 years for "airing a private conversation without permission", but I suppose one should never underestimate the power of a witch hunt...

All I can say is there's a whole slew of DJs out there that better start lawyering up.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#133 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Interesting. Hard to believe that someone would get 5 years for "airing a private conversation without permission", but I suppose one should never underestimate the power of a witch hunt...

All I can say is there's a whole slew of DJs out there that better start lawyering up.

It would make sense if the airing of the conversation led to someone being fired or suffering other monetary damages. But for just humiliation, I don't think so.

#134 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

What witch hunt?

This involves the right to privacy and that is worthy of protection IMHO.

Per the New South Wales Criminal Code (in Australia there is no one federal Criminal Code as in Canada):

SURVEILLANCE DEVICES ACT 2007 - SECT 11

Prohibition on communication or publication of private conversations or recordings of activities

11 Prohibition on communication or publication of private conversations or recordings of activities

(1) A person must not publish, or communicate to any person, a private conversation or a record of the carrying on of an activity, or a report of a private conversation or carrying on of an activity, that has come to the person’s knowledge as a direct or indirect result of the use of a listening device, an optical surveillance device or a tracking device in contravention of a provision of this Part.

Maximum penalty: 500 penalty units (in the case of a corporation) or 100 penalty units or 5 years imprisonment, or both (in any other case).

If there is to be a prosecution - it could include the two DJs as well as any person involved in the decision to broadcast the recording as well as the radio station as corporate accused.

To me one of the most telling pieces of evidence against the potential defendants would be the fact that they acknowledge they sought permission from the hospital but did not obtain it. They then went ahead and broadcast the recording.

Southern Cross Austereo has said the station had tried five times to contact the hospital, but privacy law expert Barbara McDonald said that could prove to be an inadequate defence.

"Seems to me that saying, 'We tried to call,' shows that they knew they should, and they've made a decision to go ahead knowing that they have not got permission," said McDonald, a law professor at the University of Sydney. "I don't know whether it makes the situation better, or worse."

IMHO worse.

Also consider the defence by the DJs that they never expected anyone would be taken in by their ruse. The idea was the voices of the Queen and Chuck were the gag and they claim they expected to be hung up on quite quickly. However they were not hung up on and then used the recorded conversation.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#135 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

It would make sense if the airing of the conversation led to someone being fired or suffering other monetary damages. But for just humiliation, I don't think so.

The recording and broadcast of the private conversation is the offence. The SURVEILLANCE DEVICES ACT 2007 of NSW does not speak to consequences.

#136 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

The recording and broadcast of the private conversation is the offence. The SURVEILLANCE DEVICES ACT 2007 of NSW does not speak to consequences.

And will such provisions apply to every single media source who picked up the recording and broadcasted it over and over and over again? How are they any less culpable in charges being laid?

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#137 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,399 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

What witch hunt?

The fact that if not for the suicide, there would be zero speculation about invasion of privacy charges. Couple that with the fact there there has been no link established between the suicide and the prank call, and it's a clear case of the media trying to manufacture a reason to charge these two DJs...

...or are you aware of other cases where these types of calls have resulted in court proceedings?

#138 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Wouldn't the offense have originally been derived because someone had provable damages for such acts?

Edit: scratch that...........I think I might be confusing civil and criminal law

Edited by Shift-4, 11 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#139 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

And will such provisions apply to every single media source who picked up the recording and broadcasted it over and over and over again? How are they any less culpable in charges being laid?

I expect subsequent media publication would be covered under a public interest exception or by way of freedom of the press.

Also since subsequent publication by other media outlets would not have involved recording the private conversation itself (the substantive offence), there is a statutory exception:

(3) A person who obtains knowledge of a private conversation or activity in a manner that does not involve a contravention of a provision of this Part is not prevented from communicating or publishing the knowledge so obtained even if the same knowledge was also obtained in a manner that contravened this Part.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 11 December 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#140 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,773 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

I blame the 1st cell that multiplied itself that started off evolution.
Posted Image

#141 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

I blame the 1st cell that multiplied itself that started off evolution.

I blame the atoms in that cell.

#142 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Suicide by hanging is being put forward at the coroner's inquest into the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha.

An inquest into the apparent suicide of a nurse duped by a hoax call from Australian DJs about the pregnant Duchess of Cambridge heard Thursday that she was found hanging in her room, had wrist injuries and left three notes.

Coroner's officer Lynda Martindill said nurse Jacintha Saldanha was discovered hanging by a scarf from a wardrobe in her nurses' quarters on Friday by a colleague and a member of security staff at London's King Edward VII Hospital.

Martindill said an attempt to revive Saldanha failed. The case is being treated as an apparent suicide.

Police detective chief inspector James Harman said Saldanha, 46, also had injuries to her wrists.

He told the inquest at Westminster Coroner's Court that two notes were found at the scene and another among Saldanha's belongings. He said there were no suspicious circumstances, meaning nobody else was involved in Saldanha's death.

Harman said that police were examining the notes, interviewing the nurse's friends, family and colleagues and looking at emails and phone calls to establish what led to her death.

He also said detectives would be contacting police in the Australian state of New South Wales to collect "relevant evidence."

Saldanha answered the phone last week when two Australian disc jockeys called to seek information about the former Kate Middleton, who was being treated for severe morning sickness. The DJs impersonated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles, and Saldanha was tricked into transferring the call to a nurse caring for the duchess, who revealed private details about her condition.

The DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, apologized for the prank in emotional interviews on Australian television, saying they never expected their call would be put through. The show was taken off the air and the DJs have been suspended indefinitely.

Australia's media watchdog, the Australian Communications and Media Authority, said Thursday it was launching an official investigation into whether radio station 2DayFM breached its broadcasting license conditions and the industry code of practice.

Coroner Fiona Wilcox opened and adjourned Saldanha's inquest until March 26.

Wilcox expressed "my sympathies to her family and everybody who has been touched by this tragic death."

In Britain, inquests are held to determine the facts whenever someone dies unexpectedly, violently or in disputed circumstances. Inquests do not determine criminal liability or apportion blame.

Saldanha, who was born in India, lived in Bristol in southwestern England with her husband and two teenage children.

The family was not in court. Lawmaker Keith Vaz, who has spoken on their behalf, said the nurse's loved ones "need time to grieve."

Vaz said a memorial Mass would be held Saturday at London's Roman Catholic Westminster Cathedral.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Kate+Middleton+nurse+hanged+herself+after+British+royal/7694280/story.html#ixzz2ExQu7GkB

#143 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,399 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'd be interested to hear what the contents of those notes is...

#144 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

The DJs and other radio station staff have been moved to a safe house and given 24/7 protection with bodyguards after threats were made.

The Australian inquiry into the prank calls is being fast-tracked.

Staff at the radio station which made the royal prank call have been moved to safe-house accommodation and given bodyguards 24/7 after receiving death threats.

It comes after a letter was reportedly sent to DJ Michael Christian, which said there are "bullets out there with your (Christian's) name on".

It also contained further threats involving a shotgun, according to Australian news website news.co.au.

The threat was sent from South Australia and was seized yesterday afternoon by detectives.

The security lockdown has forced about a dozen staff from the parent company of 2DayFM, Southern Cross Austereo, to move to hotels.

Up to 10 executives have been assigned bodyguards, costing an estimated $75,000 a week.

Austereo expects the specialist security to be in place for a number of weeks - possibly months.

The company expects developments in the investigation into Jacintha Saldanha’s suicide to prompt further public anger and threats.

A source inside the company told news.co.au: "We still have details to come from the hospital and the release of the suicide note. Depending on what comes from that could trigger more anger."

Australian police yesterday said they had been liaising with Austereo staff over a range of matters, including security.

In addition to the threats, officers have been conducting regular scans of social media for any potential threats being made online.

Meanwhile, the Australian media watchdog confirmed it had used its discretionary powers to fast-track an official investigation in the royal prank call scandal.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jacintha-saldanha-royal-prank-call-1488049

#145 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

I blame the atoms in that cell.

I blame Zoidberg.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#146 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

The DJs and other radio station staff have been moved to a safe house and given 24/7 protection with bodyguards after threats were made.

Spoiler

Good God :picard:

Some people need to take some mega-chill pills. Or IV fed Valium. Death threats over a prank call gone awry because someone chose to commit suicide over a transferred call???? This isn't the nurse who had the lovely chat about the state of Kate's health, this is a nurse who answered a phone and transferred a call. Yet the media would have you believe that somehow the two DJs in Australia are the scum of the earth and might as well have sent out a hit team to take her out. Media everywhere keep regurgitating and harping on this perspective and people are being gullible and stupid enough to swallow it.

I regret that Mrs. Saldanha is no longer with her family but it's time for a little reality here. I'm willing to bet there was a lot more going on in Mrs Saldanha's psyche than just a transferred phone call that probably shouldn't have gone through. Enough of making her a martyr and perhaps responsibility should be laid at the feet of where it truly belongs. It boggles my mind that people are making death threats against these two DJ's in Australia and company executives.........for God's sake people, why don't you direct your ire and bile toward something far more worthy.......a target that has actually earned and deserves anger and animosity? There's a tonne of them around to choose from. This is not one of them.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 11:33 AM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#147 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

And we wonder why the "media" has lost most, if not all, of its credibility .. our airwaves are filled with self-created "spewage" ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#148 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Dj's should not be charged at all. A prank call is a prank call. The nurse is the idiot who took her own life. I don't care how we see it, commiting suicide just because of a prank call is not the way to do it.

My thoughts Exactley
“I played for the Leafs for three years, I’m used to the booing so it won’t affect me” - Kyle Wellwood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.