The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nurse who took prank call commits suicide

D-Money

^^Again, in response to the comments above....when you become a parent, it's no longer about "you" and most put their children first. That's the issue for me.

I do have empathy and also understand that someone in that state likely is not making rational decisions or even is necessarily capable of doing so. But some are, and it's simply a reaction to get out of a desperate situation. When you have kids in the picture, you stand in there and fight...for them if not for you. And, if she was not mentally stable, why was she on the job, caring for others? We're so quick to forgive people and dismiss their actions as something they have no control over. That isn't always the case and, when kids are left behind to deal with this, it's unforgivable in my eyes. You're taking more than your own life at that point.

Another thing that jumps out at me is a question for Wet: they recorded the call - isn't that illegal?

And, lastly, this statement:

"The immediate consequence of these premeditated and ill-considered actions was the humiliation of two dedicated and caring nurses who were simply doing their job tending to their patients,” the letter read.

is slightly off. If they'd been doing their jobs (properly), a process of screening and verification would have taken place. That obviously did not happen. It wasn't the nurse's job to answer the call, but she did and that strayed outside her job. As much as these DJ's antics are in question, the fact that they were able to pull this off is equally of concern and needs to be examined. The hospital is covering their behind, but as has been suggested, medical information should not be so easily passed to others.

personally, out of this whole thing, what amazes me most is the absolutly vomit inducing obsession some people have with celebrity lives...

british royals

bieber

obama

jolie/pitt

tom cruise

are just a few that immidiatly come to mind...

poor lady got caught up in all that. From the hoards of people wanting to see whats going on, to the hostile reaction she probably recieved afterwards...

Honestly, Is it really their fault she died?...this death should not even be connected together, who knows what really made her commit suicide..

Anyone that kills themselves over another human has major issues, I don't care who they are, your life is not worth it.

I don't feel bad for her at all, suicide is a selfish thing to do and people are over-reacting, think about it this way, if the same kind of phone call was to happen to someone with no celeb status would she still be alive? some people care too much about people with a 'status', Eff them, live YOUR life.

Why are people bringing up Princess Diana's death, her idiotic driver who was drunk and speeding caused it, not the media. Just like they are not responsible for this nurse's suicide, if they prank called the nurse asking for a non-celebrity then this wouldn't have even been an issue. The public is just obsessed with celebrity, that's the problem.

Honestly, Is it really their fault she died?...this death should not even be connected together, who knows what really made her commit suicide..

Anyone that kills themselves over another human has major issues, I don't care who they are, your life is not worth it.

I don't feel bad for her at all, suicide is a selfish thing to do and people are over-reacting, think about it this way, if the same kind of phone call was to happen to someone with no celeb status would she still be alive? some people care too much about people with a 'status', Eff them, live YOUR life.

Could not have said it better myself. There is pain everywhere in the world. Someone thinking that you should live for their amusement or hapiness is so shallow and unneccesary. I also thought it quite unnerving that we are so un in control of our lives that legally we can't even end them. The epitomy of control. We are slaves.

Not sure where I got that 911 thing from, must have heard a couple crazy calls in the past and associated it. And Rupertkbd is right, You're kind of a nutjob sometimes. You think that was harsh, the royals, boo hoo, blah blah blah, that's hilarious. Anyone that thinks that she killed herself soley for that reason has never been depressed. Obviously she felt that she had no control in the world anymore and it was all closing in on her, to the point the world was laughing. I've seen these stories from time to time, I would never do that if I had younger children because then you do owe someone something.

Life itself is selfish. No one looks out for you more than you. Maybe she was tired of being selfish, tired of fighting.

Sorry you were so inconvenienced.

Duchess hoax call: radio bosses attack hospital over death of nurse

An Australian station has criticised the hospital where a nurse killed herself after putting through a hoax call about the Duchess of Cambridge, claiming it should examine its own role in her death.

Hoax_presenters_2421878b.jpg

Mel Greig (right) and Michael Christian (left) made the call to London's King Edward VII hospital.

By Steven Swinford, Jonathan Pearlman and Dean Nelson

9:30PM GMT 09 Dec 2012

On Saturday, King Edward VII Hospital made it clear that it blames Sydney-based radio station 2Day FM for the “tragic” death of Jacintha Saldanha after its presenters made the prank call.

On Sunday, the station’s owners refused to apologise for the incident.

Instead, they suggested that Mrs Saldanha may have killed herself because she suffered from depression – a claim denied by her family and friends – and said the hospital should “do its homework”.

Sandy Kaye, a spokesman for Southern Cross Austereo, which owns 2Day FM, said: “No one has looked at the hospital; it is quite easy to blame us. The hospital were very quick to get their statement out. It is much sexier to attack an Australian radio network without having done your homework to find out how much responsibility we actually bear.

“I don’t want to shift the blame. It [the prank call] is much sexier than the issue of depression or talking about what led someone to a suicide … The Australian industry seems to sit quite fairly behind us. It was only supposed to be a harmless prank.”

Detectives from Scotland Yard have contacted their Australian counterparts about speaking to the two radio presenters who made the call, before an inquest into Mrs Saldanha’s death. The radio station is also facing an inquiry by the Australian media watchdog after the broadcast, in which presenters Mel Greig and Michael Christian duped Mrs Saldanha into helping to reveal details about the Duchess’s health.

The mother of two had answered the presenters’ call and put them through to another nurse, who described the Duchess’s condition in detail.

Mrs Saldanha, 46, apparently took her own life after the incident. She was pronounced dead on Friday morning at staff accommodation near the hospital.

On Saturday, Lord Glenarthur, the chairman of the hospital, condemned the hoax as “extremely foolish” and said the station’s “premeditated and ill-considered actions” led to the “humiliation” of Mrs Saldanha and another nurse.

He wrote in a letter to Southern Cross Austereo: “I appreciate that you cannot undo the damage which has been done but I would urge you to take steps to ensure that such an incident could never be repeated.”

In a reply, Max Moore-Wilton, the company, chairman wrote: “As we have said in our own statements on the matter, the outcome was unforeseeable and very regrettable. We are all saddened by the events of the last few days. They are truly tragic … I can assure you we are taking immediate action and reviewing the broadcast and processes involved.”

Mrs Saldanha’s sister-in-law, Irene, also voiced her disbelief that she had killed herself over a prank call.

“I don’t see any reason for suicide,” she said. “The couple [Mrs Saldanha and her husband, Benedict Barboza] got along very well and there was no reason she could have taken her own life for whatever reason. She was a strong woman with growing-up children.”

A hospital spokesman said both nurses concerned had been told they were not to blame and were given full support.

The radio station has claimed that the presenters were in a “fragile” state and were being given counselling.

Both nurses where told by the hospital they had done nothing wrong?

Im trying to imagine this happening in most businesses/organizations. Seems the opposite of what usually happens when mistakes are made. At best you get the cold shoulder.

when your a kid or a teenager prank calls are funny, but when you are actually a professional person in the media and you make a prank call, that is just immature and stupid. It is not directly their fault but wow their professionalism is seriously lacking...

Archived