#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

China to flatten 700 mountains for new metropolis in the desert

Lanzhou new area plan to begin with 'mountain-moving project', but financial and environmental wisdom of project questioned

A long, long time ago, an old Chinese peasant named Yu Gong decided to move two inconveniently located mountains away from blocking the entrance to his home. Legend has it he struggled terribly, but ultimately succeeded. Hence the Chinese idiom "Yu Gong moves the mountains." Where there's a will, there's a way. Now Chinese developers are putting old Yu to shame.

In what is being billed as the largest "mountain-moving project" in Chinese history, oneof China's biggest construction firms will spend £2.2bn to flatten 700 mountains levelling the area Lanzhou, allowing developers to build a new metropolis on the outskirts of the north-western city.
The Lanzhou New Area, 500 square miles (130,000 hectares) of land 50 miles from the city, which is the provincial capital of arid Gansu province, could increase the region's gross domestic product to £27bn by 2030, according to the state-run China Daily. It has already attracted almost £7bn of corporate investment.

The project will be China's fifth "state-level development zone" and the first in the country's rapidly developing interior, according to state media reports. Others include Shanghai's Pudong and Tianjin's Binhai, home to a half-built, 120-building replica of Manhattan. China's state council, its highest administrative authority, approved the Lanzhou project in August.

The first stage of the mountain-flattening initiative, which was reported on Tuesday by the China Economic Weekly magazine, began in late October and will eventually enable a new urban district almost 10 square miles in size northeast of downtown Lanzhou – a small, but important part of the Lanzhou Nnew area project to be built.

One of the country's largest private companies: the Nanjing-based China Pacific Construction Group, headed by Yan Jiehe, is behind the initiative. The 52-year-old former teacher is portrayed in China as a sort of home-grown Donald Trump – ultra-ambitious and preternaturally gifted at navigating the country's vast network of "guanxi", or personal connections.

Yan was born in the 1960s as the youngest of nine children. After a decade of working as a high-school teacher and cement plant employee, he founded his construction firm in 1995 and amassed a fortune by buying and revamping struggling state-owned enterprises. In 2006 the respected Hu Run report named Yan – then worth about £775m – as China's second-richest man.
His latest plan has evoked a healthy dose of scepticism. Lanzhou, home to 3.6 million people alongside the silty Yellow River, already has major environmental concerns. Last year the World Health Organisation named it the city with the worst air pollution in China. The city's main industries include textiles, fertiliser production and metallurgy.

Liu Fuyuan, a former high-level official at the country's National Development and Reform Commission, told China Economic Weekly that the project was unsuitable because Lanzhou is frequently listed as among China's most chronically water-scarce municipalities. "The most important thing is to gather people in places where there is water," he said.

Others also pointed to the financial risk of building a new city in the middle of the desert. "All this investment needs to be paid back with residential land revenue, and I don't see much on returns in these kinds of cities," said Tao Ran, an economics professor at Renmin University in Beijing. "If you have a booming real estate market it might work, but it seems to me that real estate in China is very, very risky."

In an email interview, a China Pacific Construction Group spokeswoman dismissed criticisms of the project as unjustified. "Lanzhou's environment is already really poor, it's all desolate mountains which are extremely short of water," said Angie Wong. "Our protective style of development will divert water to the area, achieve reforestation and make things better than before."

Yan's plans could be considered "a protective style of development, and a developmental style of protection", she said, adding: "I think whether it's England or America, or any other country, no one will cease development because of resource scarcity caused by geography."

A promotional video posted on the Lanzhou new area website shows a digitally-rendered cityscape of gleaming skyscrapers and leafy parks. Against a driving operatic score, the camera zooms out from a large government building to reveal features of the area's imagined urban topography: a clock tower, a new airport, an oil refinery, a light-rail system, and a stadium packed with cheering fans.
The new area "will lead to an environmentally sustainable economy based on energy-saving industries" including advanced equipment manufacturing, petrochemical industries and modern agriculture, wrote Chinese Central Television on its website.

The Lanzhou city government could not be reached for comment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/06/china-flatten-mountain-lanzhou-new-area

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

#2 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,835 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

how are there mountains in a desert?

is it a desert or a mountain. choose one.

Edited by avelanch, 07 December 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#3 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Not sure if serious...

(This is the first time I've ever posted that I think)

#4 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

You can have mountains in the desert. Desert doesn't neccesarily mean Sahara style desert.

This project seems reasonable though, I can't think of anything that could go wrong with this.

#5 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

So I guess China has decided to build another city where noone will live?
Posted Image

#6 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,489 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Posted Image

Is this the area in question?
Posted Image

#7 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

The riverbed and the contour lines are indicative that the area used to be lush, wonder what happened.

We'll see if this mega project actually happens, I bet a week into drilling in the side of a mountain proves too difficult to continue.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

So I guess China has decided to build another city where noone will live?

Exactly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9msCpYbyPs

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#9 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,835 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Not sure if serious...

(This is the first time I've ever posted that I think)

no, i think it may either be a quote from a movie, or an inside joke with one of my friends... i'm actually not sure which. now that I think about it, it's probably the latter...

#10 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,489 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Posted Image
This happened.
Posted Image

#11 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Exactly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9msCpYbyPs

Or this ............

#12 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,946 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oh China, you so cray-zy.
Posted Image

#13 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

....meanwhile in India.....

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#14 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Somehow, I get the feeling that their mountains are not what we would consider mountains. I can't imagine flattening Grouse and Seymour for 2.2 bill GBP's let alone 700 more. It works out to about $5.65 million per mountain. Frack. How much TNT will they need?

Edited by hudson bay rules, 07 December 2012 - 06:53 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#15 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

700! Well.. if they don't have anything better to do..
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#16 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Somehow, I get the feeling that their mountains are not what we would consider mountains. I can't imagine flattening Grouse and Seymour for 2.2 bill GBP's let alone 700 more. It works out to about $5.65 million per mountain. Frack. How much TNT will they need?

They're probably just gonna use any near-expiring nukes they got, lol.

#17 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Mountains are formed by tectonic plates. Desert is just a geographical region that receives extremely low precipitation. Both can co-exist. This is like saying how a tropical forest can have mountains. Mountains can be formed anywhere on the planet.

Posted Image

#18 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

How does a country with over a billion people have ghost cities lol? How big is the gap between the rich and poor in china??

#19 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, great idea.

Let's frack up the environment and ecosystems in place some more, while there are ghost cities that nobody lives in.

Smart.

RIP LB RR PD

#20 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,946 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

How does a country with over a billion people have ghost cities lol? How big is the gap between the rich and poor in china??

<------------------------------------------>
This big.
Posted Image

#21 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,140 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

This doesn't surprise me coming from the country that has the largest mall in the world with only 2% of capacity actually open.

aXmDa9t.gif

#22 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Yeah, great idea.

Let's frack up the environment and ecosystems in place some more, while there are ghost cities that nobody lives in.

Smart.

true that. There are "some" ghost towns in China, brand new buildings. But whatever happens, china is trying their best to modernize their country.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#23 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

<------------------------------------------>
This big.

I was thought it was this big..

<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#24 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Mountains are formed by tectonic plates. Desert is just a geographical region that receives extremely low precipitation. Both can co-exist. This is like saying how a tropical forest can have mountains. Mountains can be formed anywhere on the planet.

Posted Image

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.