Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

You know what really grinds my gears? Gas stations that charge for air...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

So I get home from work, and think, Ah, what a beautiful, clear night. I'm going to go to the gas station and put some air in my tires since the little light came on my dash the other day.

I roll over into New Westminster and hit the Esso at 6th and 8th and they want 50 cents to use the nozzle! Are they for realzies? I said nuts to that and went over to the other Esso, weirdly enough on a different 6th and 8th... 50 cents. No deal.

Then, I went down to the Petro Canada on Stewardson.... they wanted $1.00! WTFist.

I drive a pickup and it costs me anywhere from $150-$200 to fill up and these guys want to charge me to toot some air into my tire? Give your heads a shake.

I vow that from here on out, I will only support gas stations that provide free air compressor use as a service to their customers. Who is with me? amirite comrades?

Edited by :D, 08 December 2012 - 02:14 AM.

#2 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

You have my sword

#3 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

What's next, are they going to charge me to wash my windows?
Maybe a paper towel dispenser that takes quarters?

#4 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

You have my sword

Ghandi once said, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

I'm going to be... free air.

#5 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

I know! My truck's tires have been needing some air for awhile now but I'm not paying for air!
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#6 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

Truck buddies!

#7 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

POPULAR

So for a 50 cent charge, you drove to 3 different gas stations? I'm quite certain you spent more in gas than the air would have cost you.

Also, the 50 cents isn't for air, its for the compressor. Air is free, the technology isn't

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#8 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

So just buy a compressor and carry it around with you. Great for emergencies. I bought mine from CA Tire for like ... I forget, 20 or 30$, it's got a car adapter and built-in flashlight as well.

#9 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

So for a 50 cent charge, you drove to 3 different gas stations? I'm quite certain you spent more in gas than the air would have cost you.

Also, the 50 cents isn't for air, its for the compressor. Air is free, the technology isn't

Posted Image

Edited by :D, 08 December 2012 - 03:16 AM.

#10 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

So just buy a compressor and carry it around with you. Great for emergencies. I bought mine from CA Tire for like ... I forget, 20 or 30$, it's got a car adapter and built-in flashlight as well.

I had one in my last truck but it went with the vehicle when I sold it. Thing was loud as balls and inflated my tires so, so slowly.

I'm contending that air is a courtesy that should be provided by these stations.

#11 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

Your balls make noise? Get that checked out.

In the meantime, try this
http://www.freeairpump.com/

#12 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

Good call, looks like the nearest one to me is a Flying J on Annacis... never heard of it.

For those who do not know, California bill AB 531 states that existing law “…requires every service station in this state to provide, during operating hours, water, compressed air, and a gauge for measuring air pressure, to the public for use in servicing any passenger or commercial vehicle…This bill would require that these air and water services be made available at no cost to customers who purchase motor vehicle fuel…”

BC needs to get on board with this...

Edited by :D, 08 December 2012 - 03:33 AM.

#13 nuckZ#1

nuckZ#1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

So you willingly drive a truck and pay $200 a week (most likely) for gas but not $0.50 for air which you might need once or twice a year..

CANUCKS!!

#14 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Y'know, Gandhi once said "man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow-men."

#15 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

California is also a state that is massively in debt, I'd take any financial plan they have with a full shaker of salt

I'm contending that air is a courtesy that should be provided by these stations.

Like my previous post stated(that you replied so intelligently to) its not the air you are paying for, its the upkeep of the compressor

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#16 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

So you willingly drive a truck and pay $200 a week (most likely) for gas but not $0.50 for air which you might need once or twice a year..

Like my previous post stated(that you replied so intelligently to) its not the air you are paying for, its the upkeep of the compressor

You guys still aren't getting it, so... toodle-looo.

#17 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

Y'know, Gandhi once said "man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow-men."

He would not have stood for this. I consider myself very Gandhi-like and I will not let these gas stations push me around.

#18 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,733 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

I think Shell has it for free.

As an aside, Lays charges for air as well; lucky for us, it comes with chips on the side.

#19 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

I think Shell has it for free.

As an aside, Lays charges for air as well; lucky for us, it comes with chips on the side.

Shell is already on my blacklist, but good for them for being men of the people. (Except in South Africa, where they were men of the... white people.)

#20 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

If Shell is on your blacklist, you oughta take every opportunity to obtain free air, use the squeegees, and piss all over their toilet seats, while not purchasing gas.

#21 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

So I get home from work, and think, Ah, what a beautiful, clear night. I'm going to go to the gas station and put some air in my tires since the little light came on my dash the other day.

I roll over into New Westminster and hit the Esso at 6th and 8th and they want 50 cents to use the nozzle! Are they for realzies? I said nuts to that and went over to the other Esso, weirdly enough on a different 6th and 8th... 50 cents. No deal.

Then, I went down to the Petro Canada on Stewardson.... they wanted $1.00! WTFist.

I drive a pickup and it costs me anywhere from $150-$200 to fill up and these guys want to charge me to toot some air into my tire? Give your heads a shake.

I vow that from here on out, I will only support gas stations that provide free air compressor use as a service to their customers. Who is with me? amirite comrades?

Your vehicle has a light that tells you when your tires have low pressure?
The future is now!

#22 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Good call, looks like the nearest one to me is a Flying J on Annacis... never heard of it.

It's called Bring Cash for a reason y'know.

#23 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

I know in Victoria, if you get gas all you have to do is ask the guys inside to turn the compressor on for you and they won't charge you even though it says 50 cents. All the gas stations I've been to still do it. Don't know about Van

#24 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

I was annoyed when I saw that for the first time last year. They wanted a dollar per tire. I had no choice but to pay the man.
Posted Image

#25 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Well that's depressing.

Closest one east is 150 km away, and closest west is 600 km.

Count yourself lucky city dwellers!
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#26 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Best gas station to get air for free is at the Esso on Lougheed on the east side of the Pitt River bridge. It seriously is awesome.
Posted Image

#27 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

I have an air compressor at home so I never have to pay for air.
Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#28 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#29 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

I worked at service stations for 6 years while I went to UBC. Compressors are expensive. Regulators with built in gauges are expensive. People mistreat these things because they don't own them.

Service stations / Convenience stores are nickel-and-dime businesses. When equipment breaks, it has to be replaced. Charging a menial fee for the use of an air compressor seems fair to me.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#30 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

I worked at service stations for 6 years while I went to UBC. Compressors are expensive. Regulators with built in gauges are expensive. People mistreat these things because they don't own them.

Service stations / Convenience stores are nickel-and-dime businesses. When equipment breaks, it has to be replaced. Charging a menial fee for the use of an air compressor seems fair to me.

My aunt runs/owns a gas station in the Okanagan. It's a Petro Canada and from what I understand, it's on the owner/operator of the station for maintenance and the like. Apparently P.C. is the nameplate, supplies the fuel and store items but not much else. She's not extremely wealthy from this venture and I remember years ago her talking about having to shell out hundreds because some buffoon broke the sink somehow. I'd have to assume the same goes for compressor parts, although she doesn't charge for air at this point.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.