The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You know what really grinds my gears? Gas stations that charge for air...

:D

My dad was just talking to me about this this morning. He was riding his bike across the knight street bridge when he noticed he had a flat. Went to the petrocan up the hill and yup, $1 for air. Complete frickin hose job. He said a lot of the same things you did in the op. $1.40L and you're going to charge for air? It's going to be a lot harder to maintain your compressor when I buy my gas at Chevron.

Chevron's usually have free air. But as one can see the oil companies love profit. So they don't even treat their franchisee's right allowing them to share in that profit. You know and encourage the employees and owners to provide great service to their customers so they come back?

Adam Smith must be rolling in his grave. We don't have a free market. We are getting less and less competition, and companies are taking customers for granted. Money is the god people really worship. Who cares about the product, the customers are sheep let's screw them as much as possible. At this time of year maybe a little Dickens is in order.

It's certainly irritating. I get the comments from people that you're paying for the actually unit and upkeep that the average Joe/Jane owner has to pay to maintain... But I also feel(as you stated) that this is like charging you for water at the gym or coffee at the mechanic. It should be a cost of doing business thing.

That said, it doesn't appear to be going away. It also doesn't appear to be by chain to make matters even more difficult. From what I've observed it's on a station by station/owner by owner basis.

Long and the short of it...you're probably best off investing in either a decent sized home compressor for relatively quick fill ups or a (slower) portable unit for emergencies.

Archived