23 replies to this topic

#1 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

-What we've seen to this point has been the result of careful planning on the NHL's part; basically, every last bit of it.

-Deal will be agreed-to in principle within 2 weeks, with the season to begin on January 15th. It will be a 10-year CBA, with an opt-out clause for either side after 8 years.

-Gary Bettman steps down as NHL Commissioner when the deal is finalized, citing "for the good of the game" as his reasoning. You will note that Gary was particularly vile on Thursday night, and this was done on purpose; hatred towards him is now at an all-time high, and when he's replaced, NHL fans will be so overjoyed that they'll forget this lockout even happened very quickly. Immediately, whoever his replacement is will become popular and loved; looked at as a hero, because he's not Gary Bettman. Companies do this all the time when they're about to replace the CEO; deliberately manipulate the books so that a bigger loss is showing, flood the market with hyperbolic bad news, and then the new CEO is introduced as a white knight, riding in on his high horse to turn things around. Seems to me that the NHL is doing something similar.

-Donald Fehr also steps down, citing that he's done his work and that he's now going to enjoy retirement.

We're thus left with the following situation:

-Owners win, because they get a far more favourable CBA;
-Players win, because they get to play hockey again with a minimum of 8 years' labour peace;
-Fans win, because there's no more Gary Bettman.

And the NHL's momentum begins to accelerate again.

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

-Gary Bettman steps down as NHL Commissioner when the deal is finalized, citing "for the good of the game" as his reasoning. You will note that Gary was particularly vile on Thursday night, and this was done on purpose; hatred towards him is now at an all-time high, and when he's replaced, NHL fans will be so overjoyed that they'll forget this lockout even happened very quickly. Immediately, whoever his replacement is will become popular and loved; looked at as a hero, because he's not Gary Bettman. Companies do this all the time when they're about to replace the CEO; deliberately manipulate the books so that a bigger loss is showing, flood the market with hyperbolic bad news, and then the new CEO is introduced as a white knight, riding in on his high horse to turn things around. Seems to me that the NHL is doing something similar..

I wish!! Unfortunately there is no way that little weasel steps down and says something like that. He probably thinks the league would suffer if he steped down.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

I wish!! Unfortunately there is no way that little weasel steps down and says something like that. He probably thinks the league would suffer if he steped down.

I have a feeling that Bettman stepping down will be the NHL's way of apologizing to the fans for this. "Thank You, Fans" painted on to each ice surface ain't going to work again.

Bettman was unusually emotional on Thursday, which makes me think that something like what I've mentioned has a pretty good chance of happening.

#4 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

I didn't realize we were still blaming bettman. Sure maybe at first. But now I hold both sides at fault. Fehr is surely going to end up doing to hockey what he did to baseball as well. At this point it's safe to say everyone but the fans are to blame.
Posted Image

#5 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

One can only hope.

Regardless of whether Bettman is solely at fault, he just is not a likable commish. That much is obvious. His rapport with fans and players alike is horrible.

Edited by Jai604, 08 December 2012 - 12:47 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#6 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

-Gary Bettman steps down as NHL Commissioner when the deal is finalized, citing "for the good of the game" as his reasoning. You will note that Gary was particularly vile on Thursday night, and this was done on purpose; hatred towards him is now at an all-time high, and when he's replaced, NHL fans will be so overjoyed that they'll forget this lockout even happened very quickly.

The sad thing is, that's so evilly brilliant it might actually work.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#7 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I didn't realize we were still blaming bettman. Sure maybe at first. But now I hold both sides at fault. Fehr is surely going to end up doing to hockey what he did to baseball as well. At this point it's safe to say everyone but the fans are to blame.

Which is what? Created a very strong union that has had labour peace for nearly two decades?

#8 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#9 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have a feeling that Bettman stepping down will be the NHL's way of apologizing to the fans for this. "Thank You, Fans" painted on to each ice surface ain't going to work again.

Bettman was unusually emotional on Thursday, which makes me think that something like what I've mentioned has a pretty good chance of happening.

I have a feeling you've dipped into the bath salts again...

If you honestly think this is going to be the case, you've gone over the deep end. Bettman was unusually emotional because it was an unusual situation...like everyone else, he's frustrated, thats all there is to it.

/=S=/

#10 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I have a feeling you've dipped into the bath salts again...

If you honestly think this is going to be the case, you've gone over the deep end. Bettman was unusually emotional because it was an unusual situation...like everyone else, he's frustrated, thats all there is to it.

Nope - not unusual at all. A deal will be reached very soon. Bettman's performance - yes, performance - was done on purpose, to again try and break the union. This has all been orchestrated.

There is a reason that Don Fehr has been exceedingly calm, cool, and collected this whole time, and that reason is that the NHL isn't doing anything that he didn't expect that they would. Nothing more than the Proskauer Rose lockout playbook.

#11 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

It's an interesting theory which I wouldn't rule out. I just wonder whether it was always intended to play this way or whether he was only informed of it shortly before hand, and that was a reaction. I'm not sure that GB is that good of an actor.

#12 Brambojoe

Brambojoe

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

I think there might be some truth to the notion that Gary might have to fall on his sword this time around...he'll make some parting shots of Fehr on the way down (claiming the lockout is as much Fehr's fault as his) in an attempt to clear blame from where it belongs - the owners.

#13 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,840 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I find it interesting how you think there's no way Roberto Luongo will walk away from 7 million dollars spread out over four years, but Gary Bettman will quietly forgo his 8 million per....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#14 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Bettman won't step down. He will just continue on if a deal gets done.

As for when and the deal itself.

We are 3 years apart on max contract length and 2 years apart on CBA length, there has to be some give and take. Here's how simple it is to me:

- 6 year max contracts (They move 1 year, PA moves 2 years since it's so important to the NHL according to Daly)
- 9 Year CBA with an opt-out in the 7th year for both sides.

I think if Gary can pull his head out of his ass and decide that he wants to get a deal done, rather than playing games and making demands and such. I think we could have this thing wrapped up sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 09 December 2012 - 01:21 AM.

zackass.png

#15 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

Baseball has had labour peace for almost 20 years.

It seems like we might lose the season anyways so we might aswell just let Fehr do his work, because I know it looks bad now but the players have the future in mind much more than the owner's do.

zackass.png

#16 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

* After another round or 2 of near-deals, and sudden abortions by the league (that acts like spoiled children by pulling their offers - er.. taking their ball and going home) the season gets cancelled.

* talks put off for most of the summer again

* nothing happens until next year when the players cave in to the owners demands. that happens December 2013.

#17 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I find it interesting how you think there's no way Roberto Luongo will walk away from 7 million dollars spread out over four years, but Gary Bettman will quietly forgo his 8 million per....

Golden parachute. He'll get his money.

#18 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

* After another round or 2 of near-deals, and sudden abortions by the league (that acts like spoiled children by pulling their offers - er.. taking their ball and going home) the season gets cancelled.

* talks put off for most of the summer again

* nothing happens until next year when the players cave in to the owners demands. that happens December 2013.

I think this is very likely :)

#19 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

-Gary Bettman steps down as NHL Commissioner when the deal is finalized, citing "for the good of the game" as his reasoning.

:lol:

I can think of 8 million reasons whey this won't happen.

Stay off the sauce

Edited by Shift-4, 10 December 2012 - 09:46 AM.

Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#20 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

If it does play out this way, it won't be a voluntary resignation by GB. It'll the owners saying "resign or you're fired, here's a sum of money to convince you"

zuhwS.gif

#21 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

If it does play out this way, it won't be a voluntary resignation by GB. It'll the owners saying "resign or you're fired, here's a sum of money to convince you"

Exactly - read my post two posts above - Golden Parachute.

#22 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,934 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hopefully with bolland murdering bettman and getting the electric chair.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#23 pomorick

pomorick

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hopefully with bolland murdering bettman and getting the electric chair.

hate bolland, but it would be justifiable homicide

#24 VegasCanuck

VegasCanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Step One: Bettman slaps Fehr
Step Two: Fehr slaps Bettman in retaliation
Step Three: They are given pistols and pointed to the roof and instructed to stand back to back in the center of the top of the building, each walk roughly 300 paces......better make that 400 just in case....turn and fire.
Step Four: While those two idiots are enjoying the fresh air and a short walk off a TALL building, the owners and the players take 5 minutes to sit down and sign the last offer that the NHL put on the table.

Step Five: Someone should probably call the janitor for cleanup outside on the street below...wouldn't want anyone to step in that crap!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.