The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lockout Prediction - How it Ends in Point Form

-What we've seen to this point has been the result of careful planning on the NHL's part; basically, every last bit of it.

-Deal will be agreed-to in principle within 2 weeks, with the season to begin on January 15th. It will be a 10-year CBA, with an opt-out clause for either side after 8 years.

-Gary Bettman steps down as NHL Commissioner when the deal is finalized, citing "for the good of the game" as his reasoning. You will note that Gary was particularly vile on Thursday night, and this was done on purpose; hatred towards him is now at an all-time high, and when he's replaced, NHL fans will be so overjoyed that they'll forget this lockout even happened very quickly. Immediately, whoever his replacement is will become popular and loved; looked at as a hero, because he's not Gary Bettman. Companies do this all the time when they're about to replace the CEO; deliberately manipulate the books so that a bigger loss is showing, flood the market with hyperbolic bad news, and then the new CEO is introduced as a white knight, riding in on his high horse to turn things around. Seems to me that the NHL is doing something similar.

-Donald Fehr also steps down, citing that he's done his work and that he's now going to enjoy retirement.

We're thus left with the following situation:

-Owners win, because they get a far more favourable CBA;

-Players win, because they get to play hockey again with a minimum of 8 years' labour peace;

-Fans win, because there's no more Gary Bettman.

And the NHL's momentum begins to accelerate again.

-Gary Bettman steps down as NHL Commissioner when the deal is finalized, citing "for the good of the game" as his reasoning. You will note that Gary was particularly vile on Thursday night, and this was done on purpose; hatred towards him is now at an all-time high, and when he's replaced, NHL fans will be so overjoyed that they'll forget this lockout even happened very quickly. Immediately, whoever his replacement is will become popular and loved; looked at as a hero, because he's not Gary Bettman. Companies do this all the time when they're about to replace the CEO; deliberately manipulate the books so that a bigger loss is showing, flood the market with hyperbolic bad news, and then the new CEO is introduced as a white knight, riding in on his high horse to turn things around. Seems to me that the NHL is doing something similar..

-Gary Bettman steps down as NHL Commissioner when the deal is finalized, citing "for the good of the game" as his reasoning. You will note that Gary was particularly vile on Thursday night, and this was done on purpose; hatred towards him is now at an all-time high, and when he's replaced, NHL fans will be so overjoyed that they'll forget this lockout even happened very quickly.

I have a feeling that Bettman stepping down will be the NHL's way of apologizing to the fans for this. "Thank You, Fans" painted on to each ice surface ain't going to work again.

Bettman was unusually emotional on Thursday, which makes me think that something like what I've mentioned has a pretty good chance of happening.

I think there might be some truth to the notion that Gary might have to fall on his sword this time around...he'll make some parting shots of Fehr on the way down (claiming the lockout is as much Fehr's fault as his) in an attempt to clear blame from where it belongs - the owners.

Bettman won't step down. He will just continue on if a deal gets done.

As for when and the deal itself.

We are 3 years apart on max contract length and 2 years apart on CBA length, there has to be some give and take. Here's how simple it is to me:

- 6 year max contracts (They move 1 year, PA moves 2 years since it's so important to the NHL according to Daly)

- 9 Year CBA with an opt-out in the 7th year for both sides.

I think if Gary can pull his head out of his ass and decide that he wants to get a deal done, rather than playing games and making demands and such. I think we could have this thing wrapped up sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.

* After another round or 2 of near-deals, and sudden abortions by the league (that acts like spoiled children by pulling their offers - er.. taking their ball and going home) the season gets cancelled.

* talks put off for most of the summer again

* nothing happens until next year when the players cave in to the owners demands. that happens December 2013.

* After another round or 2 of near-deals, and sudden abortions by the league (that acts like spoiled children by pulling their offers - er.. taking their ball and going home) the season gets cancelled.

* talks put off for most of the summer again

* nothing happens until next year when the players cave in to the owners demands. that happens December 2013.

Archived