The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] GDT Wolves vs. Ice Hogs. 5 pm PST

DeNiro

The Canucks top scoring prospect in the AHL is Jordan Schroeder at 121st...

That shouldn't be acceptable to the Canucks organization. There's a serious lack of development going on here. Most of our prospects seem to be taking a step backwards rather than forwards.

The only category that one of our prospects is tops in is for penalty minutes, and that's Kassian. Not a stat you wanna lead in.

Agreed Deniro. It's not acceptable, esp for guys like Schroeder who are 3r yr AHLers. On a side note, Joslin + Connauton are each -1 already (again). That pairing has been a disaster since day 1, I don't understand why they're still together.

At the same time, you can't put all the coaching problems on Arniel. He does have two assistants that are just as responsible.

Baumer has no coaching experience, and he used to play with some of these guys just a year ago. Maybe that situation isn't working out.

And I've heard Foligno is a bit of a hard a$$. Maybe he's rubbing some of the players the wrong way.

Whatever it is, they've had long enough to figure it out. The chemistry just doesn't seem to be right. After the November they had, if this losing continues through December, I don't see Arniel sticking around.

Our prospect pool is paper-thin. That would explain 121st more than Arniel.

Schroeder might not even pan out at the NHL level, so i guess we have to look at other things besides points to grade our prospects.

However, if we're apparently spending a ton of cash on player development, then um, where are the players?

Our prospect pool is paper-thin. That would explain 121st more than Arniel.

Schroeder might not even pan out at the NHL level, so i guess we have to look at other things besides points to grade our prospects.

However, if we're apparently spending a ton of cash on player development, then um, where are the players?

Team as a whole, including Schroeder, just might not be all that great. Honest assessment. Thanks to our prospect pool being paper-thin.

Ice Hogs to Wolves are a good example of this. Not that the Pigs are awesome, but they are full of actual Hawks prospects. Wolves? Not so Canuck-heavy. Beyond Kassian there is no guaranteed NHL forward.

It's tough to take now because of all the sunshine blown up our butts from Gillis and Co. about prospect development.

The only more bloated and failed Canadian prospect development system is TO's. But even theirs might be better at this point. I would've included Cgy as well, but lately the Heat is doing a'ight.

Schroeder has proven that he can score at least a 0.5 PPG pace in this league. Him falling behind on that is the coaches fault. I mean the guy hasn't been able to establish a regular set of lines in almost 2 and a half months...

The fact that Schroeder is below late round and undrafted guys is not a testament to his skill level, it's a testament to the team's as a whole.

I mean if there was one or two guys on this team excelling I would say okay, maybe Schroeder's just not as good as we thought. But the fact there's AHL veterans that have put up a PPG pace in the past that are struggling, it tells you all you need to know. Basically when a few players are struggling, that's their fault, but when the team as a whole is struggling, that comes down to coaching.

Archived