46 replies to this topic

#31 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,752 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Doesn't matter if it's weed or beer or something else. Just plan ahead, get a lift with a friend, take a bus, cab, but get home safe.

The roads are crazy enough as it is. Let's be careful out there.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#32 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Any impairment adds unnecessary risk .. toking and driving leads to a tentative "lil old lady" type of driving .. booze leads to a "crazy old man" type of yahoo ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#33 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

That was just too long to watch for somebody with a nice buzz.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#34 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,658 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Now driving while on crack...
Posted Image

#35 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

I've toked and driven and drank and driven,although I recommend neither I think drinking and getting behind the wheel is way more dangerous.I think that one of the reasons pot isn't legal in B.C. Is because there is really no way to prove how impaired you are from THC as it remains in your system long after the effects of it wear off as was touched on in the video.
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#36 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Ummmm that's a local station affiliate, not the actual Fox News Jon Stewart tears to pieces all the time.

#37 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Ummmm that's a local station affiliate, not the actual Fox News Jon Stewart tears to pieces all the time.

Tis like a disciple speaking for JC, huh? .. :lol:

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#38 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm one of the people who would t drive after I smoke my reaction speed is slower even I notice lol I'd rather not put someone in danger cause of me being high. Also some people can actually drive just as good after they had a good session unfortunately I'm not of those people I don't know why but I just trip out to much. But I can play video games so much better haha
GO Canucks GO

#39 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

I don't buy for a second that marijuana doesn't impair you. It definitely affects your driving in a negative way, its just that so many other things cause a very similar effect, like being tired.

What I would like to see is a study to determine the difference in cognitive abilities of a stoned person versus a tired person, as my guess is these two states would have the exact same level of mind-fog and that testers would have similar difficulty telling how stoned someone is as they would telling how tired someone is. I would like to see the differences/similarities between these two mental states.

I don't really mind if they decide to create laws to classify stoned people as impaired drivers, so long as they are consistent and also go after everyone else who is of the same level of impairment. As long as I'm allowed to show up at work in the morning with a Timmy's coffee in my hand (thus I must have driven to work tired) then I would argue stoners should be allowed to drive stoned. If stoners can't drive stoned, then I hope that anyone who doesn't get 8 hours of sleep the night before would also be barred from driving. Let's keep each other safe, but treat everyone equally while we do it.
Posted Image

#40 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

I don't buy for a second that marijuana doesn't impair you. It definitely affects your driving in a negative way, its just that so many other things cause a very similar effect, like being tired.

What I would like to see is a study to determine the difference in cognitive abilities of a stoned person versus a tired person, as my guess is these two states would have the exact same level of mind-fog and that testers would have similar difficulty telling how stoned someone is as they would telling how tired someone is. I would like to see the differences/similarities between these two mental states.

I don't really mind if they decide to create laws to classify stoned people as impaired drivers, so long as they are consistent and also go after everyone else who is of the same level of impairment. As long as I'm allowed to show up at work in the morning with a Timmy's coffee in my hand (thus I must have driven to work tired) then I would argue stoners should be allowed to drive stoned. If stoners can't drive stoned, then I hope that anyone who doesn't get 8 hours of sleep the night before would also be barred from driving. Let's keep each other safe, but treat everyone equally while we do it.

It is already illegal to operate a motor vehicle when your ability to do so is impaired by alcohol and/or drugs - Illicit, prescription or over-the-counter.

The Criminal Code establishes a presumption of alcohol impairment when you have a blood alcohol content (BAC) reading over .08 (80 milligrams of alcohol in every 100 millilitres of blood -the so-called "legal limit") on an approved breathalyser test instrument

However you can still be charged with impaired driving even if you blow less than .08 depending upon the evidence of your impaired state at the time you were operating the vehicle. OTOH you can exhibit no signs of impairment yet still be convicted if you blow over .08.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#41 Ryder1234

Ryder1234

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

And from mine and about 8 other friends' experiences, it doesn't. Don't go driving stoned out of your mind, but if you've just had a regular toking sesh, you're good to drive, if not better than usual because you're so calm. Maybe you're just a bad driver. Neither experience has anymore weight in court.

I'll say it's probably got more to do with how much a person smokes weed, and how it affects them. I'm in your boat, driving after a sesh is nothing to me, I did it so much at one point that I'd make more driving mistakes while sober, than when I was high if I made any at all. But when you get to that point where whenever you close your eyes, you get spins, that's when you shouldn't be driving. Take someone who barely smokes weed though, and a normal sesh by your standards or mine would get them straight cheeched. That's when being high and driving does become a problem, especially seeing as newer smokers have a harder time not zoning out, and that wouldn't bode well on the roads. "Oh thats a pretty red light, I wonder why it's red not gre-- ohhhhh right I was supposed to stop!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

All the old people on meds scares me allot more!
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#43 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Try driving on acid when everything looks like it is under a strobe light .. now THAT is "impaired" .. :huh:

#44 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'll say it's probably got more to do with how much a person smokes weed, and how it affects them. I'm in your boat, driving after a sesh is nothing to me.

I feel the same way most of the time, but sometimes for whatever reason I will be effected way normal than normal (due to already being tired, or a different strain or whatever). On top of that, as mentioned I don't believe anyone is unimpaired, although it may be the same as being tired. I think our standards should reflect our weakest links tho. Hell, I bet some heavy drinkers can function somewhat normally with a ton of alcohol in their system. Its a fair trade, if made legal, to abide by standards that you may think don't apply to you personally. Even if I trust you personally, I certainly don't trust everyone. At least until we have a perfect system for detecting actual impairment.

#45 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Try driving on acid when everything looks like it is under a strobe light .. now THAT is "impaired" .. :huh:

Sounds like my whole life...

I need acid just to experience life normally.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#46 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Sounds like my whole life...

I need acid just to experience life normally.

The late 60's miss you and want you to come home ..

#47 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,433 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

just great, it will give the potheads more ammo and reason to try to make people believe it's safe to smoke weed and drive.

You obivously have no clue what you're talking about.

Lame - O
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.