The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Gallagher: Edler might be the price of NHL lockout for Canucks

poetica

Even if we dump Ballard's $4.2M we're still going to be millions over the cap, which is projected to be around $8M lower than last year in the first full season. That means it's not only Edler I'm worried about being able to keep. Though I do think he'd be a major loss!

How do we know that there won't be any scaling back of player salaries as well? If the cap goes down it doesn't really make sense to keep individual salary hits where they are before the lockout instead of correspondingly lowering them individually as well.

I could very well see Detroit take a hard run at Edler. They lost out on big guys this off season and need a fill in for Lidstrom. And we all know Detroit likes the Sweeds on their team and they are an all world franchise. Edler is still young and has even been a bit compared to Lidstrom.

Edler and Kronwall together would be a tough pairing to play against and can seriously hit.

Gallagher assumes a lot of teams with low salaries will be waiting to scoop up Edler type players from rich teams. Although I'm sure some teams will benefit from this, I doubt it's that many as there are a lot of teams that don't want to spend much still.

Yep. How does this sound?

To Vancouver: PK Subban + 2013 1st or 2nd

To Montreal: Alex Edler (UFA rights) + David Booth

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Subban

Ballard - Tanev

Not too bad. I'd love to see PK in a Nucks jersey. Hopefully we can draft Jordan too if this happens.

I personally believe Ballard was displaced by Hamhuis; but was kept on hand as insurance first against the loss of Erhoff (but it turned out he's not great on the right side) and now Edler.

Anyone thinking Ballard is a buyout candidate is short selling Ballard; who is actually a pretty good D man! Does any one really believe we could not get a 2knd round pick or a viable forward for Ballard? If so, slap, slap, wakey wakey... We would not have a problem moving Ballard's contract, only part that is debatable is if we could resurrect something of higher substance?

Now Edler not signing? That is positioning on his part; as he would easily command anywhere between $6 and $7 mill. Why should he sign early to avoid that paycheque. And the Canucks will offer it by clearing Lou, Malhotra and Higgins (he was a better player, but without bringing the same physical match up equalization that Torres offered us he is not needed, and we can replace with Jensen) from the payroll.

And if not Edler; then an even better option is paying Edler's potential salary and Ballard's combined on the true blue line stud Vancouver has never had!

Sure, Edler's been having back injuries which could affect his performance, and he COULD get signed away like Ehrhoff by people throwing money at him. however, I'd wait until the whole goalie situation gets figured out, including the return to come, and what happens to Ballard (he'd only be paid real dollars but not in cap space so there's $4.2M more to work with) before believing that he would in fact be at risk for leaving the team (it could very well happen but til then let's not stress ourselves out).

Dumb piece by Gallagher but even dumber responses from CDC. You guys really do not get supply and demand.

Who the hell is going to splurge on Edler when a ton of players are getting a haircut? The teams not spending to the cap are doing so because they don't have the money. The guys who were spending to the cap can't anymore and will all be in the same boat trying to offload good players. The reality is that those guys who are good but not superstars all get paid less regardless of where they sign. Edler and his agent are smart enough to know this. His value goes down no matter where he signs BUT it's only in the short term. Once teams adjust (and it will probably take a season or two for all the ripples from the lower cap to dissipate) players will start seeing their values bounce back.

So what does MG do? Well Edler wears 23 in honour of our scout. His loyalty is not an issue, something you guys have an appalingly short memory for. He knows that if most teams are dumping good guys, the teams that suffer the least have a huge leg up in getting the Cup. Edler knows he's gonna get the shaft if he signs after the lockout and wants to play here, but MG can't sign him beforehand or it would tie his hands for dealing with the lower cap. MG says "Wait until we know what the lockout deals us, we put you on LTIR and pay you through the lockout, then we sign you for what we can on a 1-2 year contract". Once the effects of the lockout have been adjusted to, MG then resigns Edler to a healthy contract. And if we're lucky, we take a stacked defense through to the Cup.

I think it would be better in the event that we do need trade a Edler, just go ahead with a sign and trade. Of course Edler would have to want to go to MTL in the first place but I dont see an issue there.

Since PK is the second coming of jesus christ to MTL, something like;

To MTL:

Edler

Hansen

To VAN:

Subban

Gionta

We can make between $10 and $25 mill, or higher, on a Stanley cup run. No way we're trading Edler at the deadline to retain an asset that gives us less chance at that run. It's not what contenders (especially those without money troubles) do...

And people would be foolish 95% of the time to think we can recover that money by trading Edler.

Only a chance if we get a young Iginla (lookalike as an example) for him; who potentially will lead the franchise for a decade. And in the vastly more likely event we keep Edler; if he does not sign that same potential salary is just as available to find another player who in theory would be just as influential.

And the same guidelines would apply; have to trade Lou, perhaps free up salary from depth at left D or LW.

If that buyout amnesty clause goes through then I bet we keep Edler by buying out Ballard. You can find far cheaper and more reliable guys willing to take bottom pair minutes.

If we can't sign Edler and we theoretically get deep into the playoffs then things become complicated. It's rumoured that free agency would begin on June 15th, or 48 hours after the SCF. If we end up going that deep, then it leaves us a very small window in which to determine whether we can sign or have to deal Edler. If we have to deal Edler with pending free agency around the bend then we likely won't get much. So my assumption is then that Gillis would ideally move Edler before the deadline assuming Edler did not show interest in re-signing here.

The return? Well that's a discussion for a different thread. I think it's safe to say that a young 50 point D-man like Edler could land you a significant return.

Regardless of how the lockout plays out. MG can't take a chance on Edler and wait till the off-season to try and re-sign him. Hell if MG can package him and Luongo for Gudbranson and Bjugstad. I would be able to live with that. DAle Tallon on the other hand might not be on board with that trade.

I had a feeling Edler might not be as injured as the team says he is. Maybe a good faith gesture as Gallagher states. If Edler does not re-sign by Jan 1st. MG has to start making some calls.

Regardless of how the lockout plays out. MG can't take a chance on Edler and wait till the off-season to try and re-sign him. Hell if MG can package him and Luongo for Gudbranson and Bjugstad. I would be able to live with that. DAle Tallon on the other hand might not be on board with that trade.

I had a feeling Edler might not be as injured as the team says he is. Maybe a good faith gesture as Gallagher states. If Edler does not re-sign by Jan 1st. MG has to start making some calls.

Well im looking at it from a stand point that MTL is in a rebuild mode and they aren't willing to give up a high pick. Gionta has had injury issues and his production has fallen, and I disagree completely that they wouldn't be willing to give him up for a change. I'm almost certain they'd like to get their hands on Hansen so he can create some chemistry with Eller and with the emergence of Jensen/Kassian, he can easily be replaced.

Point being I don't think under any circumstance MTL would give us their 1st rounder. Even acquiring PK is a longshot imo.

Archived