The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The War on Christmas is Over... Christmas Won but only In Canada, Pity

Wetcoaster

And in Canada the War on Christmas is over... and the Harper government has declared Christmas to be the winner. Damn Harper and his hidden agenda.

"There are those who would like to snuff out the holiday spirit in the name of political correctness or expediency," said Minister Clement. "Our Government will not allow the Christmas spirit to be grinched."

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/media/nr-cp/2012/1209-eng.asp

And yet again the aspiration of true Quebeckers (you know them as treasonous separatists) are being trampled under the Anglo boot of oppression.

Federal employees have the right to decorate their desks and office spaces as they see fit, reaffirmed Treasury Board President Tony Clement, one year after a Christmas flap saw federal employees banned from decorating their workspaces.

"Whether it’s displaying Christmas cards, putting up tinsel or bringing out a Menorah, federal employees have every right to celebrate the holiday season in the workplace," said Clement.

And that's the message Government of Canada workers can expect to find in their inbox when they arrive to work on Monday morning.

Clement's reminder comes one year after Marc Simoneau, the head of Service Canada in Quebec, directed federal employees in 118 offices in la belle province not to put up holiday decorations in public areas leaving the main Service Canada office in Montreal devoid of any holiday decorations.

That directive set off a political firestorm in the capital with NDP and Liberal MPs from Quebec accusing the Conservatives of issuing a national directive against holiday decorations and "stealing the magic of Christmas."

The incident forced Human Resources Minister Diane Finley to issue a statement saying no national directive had been issued by the federal government and that Service Canada employees were free to celebrate and decorate their offices as they pleased.

"We like Christmas," Finley affirmed during Question Period.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/12/09/pol-tony-clement-no-room-for-political-correctness-at-christmas.html

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays debate rages on

Have you put up your "holiday tree" yet?

Photograph by: Tyler Brownbridge, The Windsor Star , The Windsor Star

The holiday season has come again, and the debate over "Merry Christmas" versus "Happy Holidays" will surely rage on as it has in the past few years.

Now, I consider myself to be a very tolerant person. I am a Christian, but I respect the rights of all people to practise whichever religion they want.

I will generally greet people with "Merry Christmas" out of habit, and I must say that I have never once heard anyone get upset with me for saying that instead of "Happy Holidays."

I like to think that people following different religions at this time of year will see any greeting as an expression of well wishes leading up to the new year.

There is one thing that does irritate me, however. I was speaking with some friends at the university, and one of them asked me if I had put up my "holiday tree" yet.

I had also heard this term being used around town by people. I dislike this term, for two reasons. First, no other religion that I know of uses a decorated tree as a symbol for this time of year, at least not in Canada.

It is impossible to mix up a Christmas tree with any other religion. Second, people say "holiday trees" to "avoid offending people" by being more generic. By that faulty logic, we should call a Menorah a "holiday eight-pronged candle holder."

I don't really see that catching on, so I encourage everyone to take a greeting as just that, a friendly greeting, be it "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays," and leave the names of the symbols alone.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays to all.

PETER SMITH, Windsor

© Copyright © The Windsor Star

The real war on Christmas courtesy of the Abbotsford Police???

police-santa.jpg

Abbotsford Police Department

2838 Justice Way, Abbotsford, B.C. V2T 3P5 Phone (604)859-5225 Fax (604)859-2527

Bob Rich

Chief Constable

“Protecting with Pride”

NEWS RELEASE

APD NEWS RELEASE:

APD FILE # RELEASE # 1

DATE OF RELEASE: December 10, 2012

Incident: Operation Resolution

Abbotsford Police Send Greeting Cards to Offenders

Abbotsford December 10, 2012

This holiday season a number of people may be surprised to learn that the Abbotsford Police Department has added them to its mailing list. Prolific offenders, property offenders and persons known for drug and gang activity, will be receiving specially created cards from the APD through an initiative called Operation Resolution. Our hope is that the cards serve as a reminder to the recipient that they have an opportunity to make a different choice and that they can in fact “resolve” to do so.

The image on the card is of Chief Rich (aka Santa) in tactical gear with an accompanying quote from Mary Blochowiak that says “You are always only one choice away from changing your life”. The additional text states “We believe it is never too late to make a better choice for your life. For the sake of your family & for your own sake, consider 2013 the year you choose a new & better life. Make your New Year’s resolution now! We’re here to help.”

A phone number is also included which will allow callers to connect with the APD. The phone will offer the following recorded greeting:

“Hello. You have reached the Abbotsford Police Department’s Resolution line. If this is an Emergency, hang up and dial 9-1-1. If you are calling because you want to make a change in your life, thank you. Your phone call is important to us and we would like to speak further with you. So please leave your name and a contact number and we will return your call. Again, thank you for making this life changing choice and taking the time to call us. We look forward to speaking with you.”

Our Mission:

To make Abbotsford the safest city in B.C.

The Abbotsford Police Department realizes that Operation Resolution is different. We wanted to do something different but to also stay true to the spirit of the holidays and the New Year. We sincerely believe that the holiday season is a time for reflection for many people in our community. A positive change can reap rewards and benefits far beyond the impact to a single individual. The APD supports those positive changes year round.

police-santa.jpg

Cst. Ian MacDonald ............................................................... Phone: (604) 864-4721

Abbotsford Police Public Information Officer ........................ Cell: (604) 835-6070

2838 Justice Way, Abbotsford, BC V2T 3P5 ........................... Fax: (604) 859-2527

Our Mission:

To make Abbotsford the safest city in B.C.

To be frank, I barely even consider Christmas to be religious. To me, Merry Christmas is equivalent to Happy Holidays, as it's a time to be merry, enjoy family and exchange gifts. Considering the baby Jesus was likely born sometime in the summer, I don't think he minds.

If someone said to me "Happy Hannukah" or "Happy Kwanza", I wouldn't get bent out of shape. I would respond in kind and move on with my life without even a second thought.

Political correctness is overkill in most cases.

I'm just about as non-religious as anyone can be, but I still say "Merry Christmas" and couldn't care less that anyone uses whichever phrase.

Christmas for most isn't even a religious holiday anymore. The winter holidays are a time for family, friends, good food, and rest, giving, and making lasting memories with those you love. It doesn't really matter what the name is.

I'm just about as non-religious as anyone can be, but I still say "Merry Christmas" and couldn't care less that anyone uses whichever phrase.

Christmas for most isn't even a religious holiday anymore. The winter holidays are a time for family, friends, good food, and rest, giving, and making lasting memories with those you love. It doesn't really matter what the name is.

Good. Interesting that this came up - our pastor gave a sermon on Sunday about "what next? we have to take the Christ out of our homes as well"?

However you want to celebrate this time of the year is fine by me.

Just don't tell me that I can't say Merry Christmas - that's would be the real "pity".

Oh absolutely, haha. I'm fully aware that the Winter Solstice had nothing to do with Christianity and that December 25th isn't even Jesus' real birthday, lol.

Of course, Christmas, like Valentine's Day, have both become great ways for companies to cash in, but Christmas doesn't have to be about gifts.

My friends and I don't give each other gifts, and haven't done so in years. Instead, we pool some money together and buy toys for less fortunate children so that they can have just a little bit of cheer.

Archived