The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The War on Christmas is Over... Christmas Won but only In Canada, Pity

Wetcoaster

I know many Sikh, Chinese and other non-Christian families that "celebrate" Christmas as a family friendly gift giving event. All of them call it Christmas and aren't bothered in the slightest by the festivities they encounter in their new found home.

On a side note, they start playing Christmas tunes in Sept in the Philippines. :shock:

I think the time for kicking Heretic when he is down has passed.

The point that Christmas was not the day Jesus was born is duly noted. Christians still have the right to celebrate that day. They have used the only date they know, the Roman date, as the day to celebrate it.

There is nothing wrong with that.

Oh my god, who the hell cares. It's just a greeting and everyone is getting all riled up over it.

"A War on Christmas," seriously? This crap comes up every damn year. It's just another sensationalist attempt by the mainstream media in order to increase viewership. Christmas is Christmas for some, and for others it's a holiday. End of story. There is nothing more to it, and for sure there is no damn "war" around it.

For those Christians who believe the sacred day of Christmas is dying out and is under attack, it's not. You're still allowed to go to church before and during Christmas to participate in a service, and you're allowed to have a Christmas dinner at home with friends and family. In fact, Christmas has been growing every year with all the ornaments, decorations around people's houses, in malls, and our outrageous Christmas shopping that takes place in November for some.

For those Atheists who are offended by the phrase "Merry Christmas," people are just saying that greet you, there's no religious imposition behind it. Quit your whining and stop nit-picking at trivial things.

/rant.

If an occasion can be switched for such a random term as "holiday", then what about (as mentioned) "Hanukkah", "Remembrance Day", or "Halloween"?

I'm certain you could find someone who experienced traumatic scares as children and so they are strongly averse to getting scared during Halloween.

in my experience, media shinanigans aside, the war on christmas was pretty one-sided... it seemed like the only people who made a fuss were the ones who wanted everyone to say Merry Christmas and hated "Happy Holidays"... to those who were secular, no one cared.

Keep the X in Xmas!

Do you honestly not see the correlation he's making?

If one of the largest holidays in Christianity is based on lies and pilfered pagan ritual by Romans in the name of Christianity...what does that say for the religion's authenticity/integrity?

Doesn't that imply that it's quite likely that other, large parts of the bible/holidays etc of the religion may be based on lies, pilfered rituals etc that happened to be convenient for others in power at the time?

Of course not :rolleyes:

Seems pretty clear.

I am not the one who believes in an invisible guy in the sky and believes myths and fables based on oral legends and committed to paper centuries after the alleged events and occurrences.

As United Church minister Robert Ripley has pointed out:

Of course the path to creating the canon of Scripture was long and hard. A wide diversity of early Christians quarrelled over their interpretation of Jesus' teachings. The church rejected a Gospel of Peter (yes, the first pope) as unorthodox and kept 1 Timothy, which is widely considered a forgery. The contentious process took over three centuries.

(As Catholic Church apologist Micheal) Coren fails to mention that following a malleable oral tradition, and in the absence of original writings, all we have are pieces of copies of copies of copies made over centuries by scribes who made intentional alterations to make the text say what either they wanted it to say, or thought it should say. So much for maintaining the correct word of God.

I think the time for kicking Heretic when he is down has passed.

The point that Christmas was not the day Jesus was born is duly noted. Christians still have the right to celebrate that day. They have used the only date they know, the Roman date, as the day to celebrate it.

There is nothing wrong with that.

Archived