The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The War on Christmas is Over... Christmas Won but only In Canada, Pity

Wetcoaster

I always enjoy Xmas - excellent food, superb single malt scotch, etc.

About the only thing I do not enjoy is the Christian religion's myth making around a stolen a pagan holiday.

What about that whole "Thou shalt not steal" directive from the invisible guy in the sky?

Or how about the one about not coveting they neighbour's wife's ass?

Can't believe I am posting in this thread but while the subject is the law......... Can you prove in a court of law that God exists?

That said, as a non Christian living in a Christian country. I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Sure they did. And then deceived people into thinking that Jesus was born on December 25. Theft AND fraud.

Pre-Christian Roman Traditions:

Much of what people associate with Christmas, a holiday that is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus, actually pre-dates Christianity. Traditional Christianity celebrates the death of holy people, not their birth. In 274 CE, though, pagan emperor Aurelian proclaimed Decemer 25th Natalis Solis Invicti, the festival of the birth of the invincible sun. Saturnalia already occurred around this time along with many other celebrations. Christians took over this and other Roman festivals.

Pre-Christian German Traditions:

Germans of the north also held mid-winter festivals. Evergreen trees and holly were important because they held their green colors despite the harshest winters. Another Nordic tradition is the Yule Log — the origin of the word yule is disputed, but it may be related to the god Yolnir, Jol in Old Norse. In his name people celebrated a 12-day festival of eating, drinking, and merriment. One legend about Yolnir has him hanging himself on a tree and piercing himself with a spear.

As the atheist said if you do not believe as I do, when you die absolutely nothing will happen to you.

Don't understand why people use terms like "Happy Holidays" anyways. They're trying to include all the holidays, but you still know which one they're really talking about. When you have a sign that's says "happy holidays" with a picture of Santa Claus, it's still not inclusive because it's obvious that you're celebrating Christmas.

Same thing with "holiday" trees. Christmas trees are only used to celebrate Christmas. There is no such thing as a Hanukkah tree or a Kwanzaa tree. It'a obvious to everyone that a "holiday" tree is still really a Christmas tree.

Wish everyone would quit with the stupid political correctness horsecrap. How can anyone be offended by a simple greeting? I wouldn't avoid a store just because it says "Happy Hanukkah" on it. Or if someone said it to me I would still be happy for the greeting.

To be frank, I barely even consider Christmas to be religious. To me, Merry Christmas is equivalent to Happy Holidays, as it's a time to be merry, enjoy family and exchange gifts. Considering the baby Jesus was likely born sometime in the summer, I don't think he minds.

If someone said to me "Happy Hannukah" or "Happy Kwanza", I wouldn't get bent out of shape. I would respond in kind and move on with my life without even a second thought.

Political correctness is overkill in most cases.

Some people really are miserable.

I think they need one of those Christmas miracles. Like the dad in Elf. Has noone ever told you that Santa's sleigh runs on Christmas cheer and not sarcasm or political correctness or any of that other drivel?

Merry Christmas CDC.

EDIT: Oh, silly me. I forgot that Santa was a sensitive subject around here. Apologies.

Archived