The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

YUUUP!: Storage Wars sued by star alleges its fake

key2thecup

Sometimes a couple grand worth of stuff in a storage locker is the least of the things you could be concerned with when life gets in the way. and sometimes people die, or become ill without any relative even knowing they had a storage locker. Let alone where it is. #$&! happens.

Pawns Stars is staged too. People go to the store find those guys never there. When they are shown on tv, the store is so empty when in reality that store is usually packed. Obviously they film during when the store is closed.

Plus the show is highly scripted, every show have a story line.

I love how they are making TV shows about mundane daily tasks and mediocre jobs. Like shipping wars, what's next? Lawn Wars? I can't wait to watch 30 minutes of rival lawn mowers duking it out. Or how about roof demossing wars? or toliet plunging wars... give me a break... these shows are only for people without jobs. If you have a job already I have no idea why any of these shows would appeal to you just bring a camera to work.

I think people are blurring the "Reality" lines too much.. and so are the producers of these shows.

1 Example of a "Real" Reality show... (in other words, a Documentary)

Deadliest Catch

-They can't fake that crap, the show is about something that is already tv worthy and interesting.

2 Example of an "augmented" Reality show:

Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, Restaurant Stakeout, Kitchen Nightmares...

-These are "real" situations that have been spruced up by the producers to make them more interesting. IE. Before Ramsay goes on a rant, he tells the people "Listen, this is just for the Cameras" And it's all a part of the show's makeup from the get-go. Or on Pawn Stars, they go in, sell the item to the Pawn shop, and then later in the week they come back to shoot it. Real deal, but done earlier, and scripted for TV... "Ok, so I'm going to pretend like that offer is too low, and you get mad" etc etc.

3 Completely FAKE reality TV:

EXAMPLE: Siberia

-Show makes absolutely no claim to be real, but uses the reality format as a part of the story line.

4Game-show Reality TV:

Survivor,Big Brother, Masterchef etc etc...

These shows are carefully produced, but what you see is what you get. They are placed in a FAKE environment, but there's generally no scripting. They are however probed by producers during the interview moments to get interesting TV worthy answers. ALSO the host is aware 100% of what's been going on on the show, so they can ask questions to stir a response. Jeff Probst does it best on Survivor... you always know when he's seen what's been going on and asks JUST the right question at tribal council to get a fun answer. Casting is everything on these shows.

Archived