The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blackout restrictions.

MikeyBoy44

I get most of the idea behind the blackout idea. However I was wondering if it wouldn't be beneficial to the NHL to lose them? I guess thats what gamecenter is for but I also wonder if it makes a lot of money due to how expensive it is. Are there any arguments that would help removing the blackouts or do you think it's actually working?

The thing with blackouts is that some broadcasters (like Sportsnet) only pay for the rights on a regional basis. The network would have to be willing to buy them nationally in order to eliminate any blackouts.

I don't think they would get enough of a return on their investment in order to make the case to pay extra for national rights.

If it was that profitable, they would probably already be doing it.

Well i can make the case from experience that the blackouts for the BC Lions games doesn't make me want to buy a ticket nor invest any time in the league. I can imagine it's the same effect for some americans in non traditional hockey markets. The more games that are on tv the higher the chance to increase viewership longterm. That will equate to higher revenues for the station and the league longterm.

I get most of the idea behind the blackout idea. However I was wondering if it wouldn't be beneficial to the NHL to lose them? I guess thats what gamecenter is for but I also wonder if it makes a lot of money due to how expensive it is. Are there any arguments that would help removing the blackouts or do you think it's actually working?

Blackouts from a team perspective are very important. It may limit you from seeing games outside of BC but how would the Canucks feel if all Leaf broadcasts were available on regular television in BC? You may not like it but there are loads of Leafs fans everywhere. See Rogers Arena anytime they play there. And this during a long down cycle. If the Leafs ever become relevant again the jerseys and fans sure will come out in force. If you are competing against a popular team it hurts you and drives down your broadcast dollars.

Same can be said for any team in their local region. Flames, Oilers and the Jets all don't want to be competing with the Canucks, Leafs, Habs etc. for local broadcast rights and dollars.

Archived