9 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I get most of the idea behind the blackout idea. However I was wondering if it wouldn't be beneficial to the NHL to lose them? I guess thats what gamecenter is for but I also wonder if it makes a lot of money due to how expensive it is. Are there any arguments that would help removing the blackouts or do you think it's actually working?
Posted Image

#2 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

The thing with blackouts is that some broadcasters (like Sportsnet) only pay for the rights on a regional basis. The network would have to be willing to buy them nationally in order to eliminate any blackouts.

I don't think they would get enough of a return on their investment in order to make the case to pay extra for national rights.

If it was that profitable, they would probably already be doing it.
Posted Image

#3 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Well i can make the case from experience that the blackouts for the BC Lions games doesn't make me want to buy a ticket nor invest any time in the league. I can imagine it's the same effect for some americans in non traditional hockey markets. The more games that are on tv the higher the chance to increase viewership longterm. That will equate to higher revenues for the station and the league longterm.

#4 Drive-By Body Pierce

Drive-By Body Pierce

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

I get most of the idea behind the blackout idea. However I was wondering if it wouldn't be beneficial to the NHL to lose them? I guess thats what gamecenter is for but I also wonder if it makes a lot of money due to how expensive it is. Are there any arguments that would help removing the blackouts or do you think it's actually working?

Gamecenter follows blackout restrictions as well making it completely useless for a Canucks fan in BC and anyone wanting to watch any of the playoffs.

Posted Image

#5 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Blackouts from a team perspective are very important. It may limit you from seeing games outside of BC but how would the Canucks feel if all Leaf broadcasts were available on regular television in BC? You may not like it but there are loads of Leafs fans everywhere. See Rogers Arena anytime they play there. And this during a long down cycle. If the Leafs ever become relevant again the jerseys and fans sure will come out in force. If you are competing against a popular team it hurts you and drives down your broadcast dollars.

Same can be said for any team in their local region. Flames, Oilers and the Jets all don't want to be competing with the Canucks, Leafs, Habs etc. for local broadcast rights and dollars.

#6 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

They make good money off gamecenter and Center Ice. It's frustrating but it defines whether you are just a fan of hockey or a true fanatic.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#7 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

They make good money off gamecenter and Center Ice. It's frustrating but it defines whether you are just a fan of hockey or a true fanatic.

or live outside your favourite team's broadcast area :)
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#8 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Yeah true, I live in stupid Flames land as a transplanted Saskatoonian. I was peed off for a couple years until I decided to pony up and get Center Ice. I used to go watch the games at the bar. I remembered that origianlly they used to sell games for about $15-$20 a piece for Pay per view. When I did the math the Center Ice package suddenly wasn't that bad in price at all. It was then I realized that anyone outside a major market that considers themself a fanatic is well advised to make the purchase. Sometimes you have to make the purchase to realize how much of a fan you are. One of the best I've made along with my 50" telly.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#9 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

I love the fact that I can watch all kinds of teams now with high quality broadcasts. It hasn't even been that long since a good chunk of Canucks home games were on pay per view locally so Centre Ice is awesome for those of us out of market. I just wish I didn't get the Sportsnet feed all the time. I know, hating Shorthouse is a crime around here but I can't help it.

#10 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

I remember a few years back when SN forgot to blackout games for 3 weeks here in Sask.. aah made for a great 3 weeks.. Then they fixed the problem :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.