The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

France: Teacher suspended for suicide note homework

Grapefruits

France: Teacher suspended for suicide note homework

London: A teacher in France has been suspended after asking a class of teenagers to write suicide notes. The man, who has not been named, is a French teacher at the Antoine-Delafont school in Montmoreau-Saint-Cybard, near Angouleme, France, the Daily Mail reported on Wednesday.

He told the 13 to 14-year-olds to imagine what they would say to themselves if they were about to end their lives out of "disgust" for their lives.

The assignment, set in October, read: "You've just turned 18. You've decided to end your life. Your decision is definitive.

The teacher told the students to imagine what they would say to themselves if they were about to end their lives.

teacher_student_classroom.jpg

"In a final surge you decide to put in words the reason behind your decision. In the style of a self-portrait, you describe the disgust you have for yourself. Your text will retrace certain events in your life at the origin of these feelings."

Jean-Marie Renault, the school head, confirmed that the teacher had now been "officially notified" of his suspension, following complaints from parents, the Mail added.

Kids that age are SO impressionable and if there's an ounce of instability in any of them, this could lead down a dangerous path.

I know you can't shield kids from things and have always believed that discussion about any topic is a good thing, but this angle just seems wrong.

Definitely too young for a discussion like this. I could see it being an English assignment for 2/3rd year Uni, but not for 14 y/o's. Thinking about it, I'd probably go with some sort of Nietzschean nihilism, ".. everything deserves to perish; but one actually puts one shoulder to the plough; one destroys" (Will to Power).

Archived