The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler MONTHS away from playing

Strombone1

To all those saying that Kesler is still claiming to be injured so he can stay on the Canucks payroll:

I don't know if that's possible. The team and the league would require proof in the form of scans and reports from Kesler's doctors that show the existence of the injury. If a player like RNH started the lockout on LTIR and then came off of it once he was healed, I can't see it being as simple as a player and his agent "claiming" that he's injured. There are millions of dollars on the line here. I'd hope that the NHL is more conscientious than to pay a player without requiring proper proof of his status.

You know they would check that stuff, right? I'm sure they sign medical waivers pages long and any and all medical exam findings would probably be sent to the team, or at least made available upon request. That's especially true for long-term injuries like Kesler's because the team likely isn't paying his salary, their insurance company is.

Who's to say he's not taking his recovery slow? He's had several major surgeries in the last few years, so no one can tell him to not take his time.

Taking an extra month in a situation like this won't raise any eyebrows, and I'm sure it's common practice among players. I mean, they pay huge amounts of their salary for insurance, why wouldn't they take advantage of it when they're actually injured?

To all those saying that Kesler is still claiming to be injured so he can stay on the Canucks payroll:

I don't know if that's possible. The team and the league would require proof in the form of scans and reports from Kesler's doctors that show the existence of the injury. If a player like RNH started the lockout on LTIR and then came off of it once he was healed, I can't see it being as simple as a player and his agent "claiming" that he's injured. There are millions of dollars on the line here. I'd hope that the NHL is more conscientious than to pay a player without requiring proper proof of his status.

this really isnt a big deal worry more about ths when the lockout ends which may be next yr, id rather kesler heal 100 percent play a month or two before playoffs and be a monster than him play hurt. Time to give schroeder a few months playing time to see how he will do. laps and higgins can help fill the void as well.

I would not put any stock into this at all. This all about his agent making sure that the Canucks are aware that Kesler is "months away" from returning, and thus, needs to continue to be paid during the lockout. It looks good when something like this is reported to the media should someone from the Canucks decide that Kesler is in fact healthy and therefore, deserving of being locked out.

I full expect that if there is an NHL season, Kesler will make a "miraculous" recovery and return much sooner if not immediately upon the start of training camp.

Keep in mind, the timing of Kesler's surgery was also orchestrated by his agent as well. He waited a full two months after the playoffs ended to have surgery, thus ensuring that he would not be ready for the start of the season, and therefore would be able to be paid during the lockout. Kesler has also been very sure to not jeopardize his free pay day by showing up at charity events but playing non-contact roles like coach or referee.

It certainly shows where Kesler's values are. It's all about getting paid, solidarity be damned.

I would not put any stock into this at all. This all about his agent making sure that the Canucks are aware that Kesler is "months away" from returning, and thus, needs to continue to be paid during the lockout. It looks good when something like this is reported to the media should someone from the Canucks decide that Kesler is in fact healthy and therefore, deserving of being locked out.

I full expect that if there is an NHL season, Kesler will make a "miraculous" recovery and return much sooner if not immediately upon the start of training camp.

Keep in mind, the timing of Kesler's surgery was also orchestrated by his agent as well. He waited a full two months after the playoffs ended to have surgery, thus ensuring that he would not be ready for the start of the season, and therefore would be able to be paid during the lockout. Kesler has also been very sure to not jeopardize his free pay day by showing up at charity events but playing non-contact roles like coach or referee.

It certainly shows where Kesler's values are. It's all about getting paid, solidarity be damned.

Well, look at this from a financial standpoint.

As he was injured during the last season, he isn't currently "Locked Out"! As such, he is still receiving his 5 million per season pay.

That means, his AGENT would also be receiving HIS percentage of that contract.

If he was to suddenly be healthy, he would move to active status and be forced to join the other players in Lock Out mode and thus would no longer be eligible to continue collecting pay every 2 weeks.

Based on that, what do you think the chances are of either Kesler or his Agent admitting that he's healthy before the lockout ends???

Archived