105 replies to this topic

#61 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Your calling the pot black.... Lol. Yes he can continue to be paid by "saying" he is still injured. It would be up to the team to prove he is not and cases like that are hard to prove. Why people care is some feel people shouldn't cheet and that it may not be deserving. This is all speculation on both sides and nobody other then Ryan knows, but it smells of a fish.

Doesn't work like that son.
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#62 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

Lol, this is more discussing Kesler's payroll than his injury.
Posted Image

#63 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

I wonder how big of a push Gillis made for Turris last year if it all? We are pretty lacking at centre now, Schroeder IMO won't ever be much of an impact player and Gaunce is a few years out.

If the season started today Lappy would be our 2nd line centre. Is there any decent 3rd line centres that are UFA's still?

#64 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Remind me again what we could have fetched after a 21 year old Hodgson demands a trade in the summer after not getting enough ice time? I'm sure a lot of teams would want a young primadonna.

Rookies under contract have minimal rights to demand anything.
I noticed Cody was top seven in the AHL in scoring before he had his hand slashed and broken.
This reminds me of the Luongo contract length and not signing Ehrhoff and Schultz wanting to play for the Canucks but ending up in Edmonton.
Good for Kes.If I were him I would play within the rules for all that the league guaranteed me,as well.

Edited by nuck nit, 15 December 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#65 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

I'm pretty sure the insurance companies REALLY care

Edit: It's obvious by the comments that not many people here have actually dealt with insurance companies before.

Please Hockey Gods, give us back our game... it's driving people to become even MORE paranoid and illogical! We can't survive like this much longer.

Look at the context of what I said. The person I quoted about how the NHL should investigate Kesler's injury. Obviously they don't give a rat's *** because it's dealt with the insurance.

#66 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

#67 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Rookies under contract have minimal rights to demand anything.
I noticed Cody was top seven in the AHL in scoring before he had his hand slashed and broken.
This reminds me of the Luongo contract length and not signing Ehrhoff and Schultz wanting to play for the Canucks but ending up in Edmonton.
Good for Kes.If I were him I would play within the rules for all that the league guaranteed me,as well.

Hodgson would have, and should have, scored us a different player than Kassian. CoHo was an employee with a contract, limited options and good management manages him effectively rather than letting him be a distraction. LA converted their young up and comers, for whom they did not have room to offer top line roles, into core VETERAN players who contributed to their run. Without Richards LA does not beat us last year IMO. If we were to trade Hodgson while on an ELC, this is the type of player you want back!

Remind me again what we could have fetched after a 21 year old Hodgson demands a trade in the summer after not getting enough ice time? I'm sure a lot of teams would want a young primadonna.

#68 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Hodgson would have, and should have, scored us a different player than Kassian. CoHo was an employee with a contract, limited options and good management manages him effectively rather than letting him be a distraction. LA converted their young up and comers, for whom they did not have room to offer top line roles, into core VETERAN players who contributed to their run. Without Richards LA does not beat us last year IMO. If we were to trade Hodgson while on an ELC, this is the type of player you want back!

Are you saying that a good GM wouldn't butcher his cup contending team shortly before the playoffs because of a concerned party? cuz that's just crazy talk.

#69 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

I personally believe he tried to play moneyball; and get away with trading for Kassian as the solution for our physical match issues.

He hired a green rookie instead of a veteran. Hey look, if he gets away with it we have play off success and a young body on an ELC for years. Look, when you trade for a rental and it does not work out (which is common) you have nothing. At least we still have Kassian, who is not a bad prospect. But the odd's of a veteran helping us were also much greater.

The fact Hodgson was whinging in the background should never have been & probably was not the reason to make this move, but became the fallback justification when the heat over the deal arrived. Maybe Hodgson and Hansen would have scored Jeff Carter?

Thats the bottom line at face value; LA's GM made better moves.

But somewhere else it was reported Kesler's shoulder was injured Feb 9th, before the deadline. Without Kess (at his best) MG probably knew we were a long shot this year. But you can't tell the market you have actually given up on the season; so instead you offer (a little white fib) that Kass is the physical "balance" we need. Maybe???

Are you saying that a good GM wouldn't butcher his cup contending team shortly before the playoffs because of a concerned party? cuz that's just crazy talk.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 16 December 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#70 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Getting real tired of Gillis' "character" speech. We ice some of the least respected and most hated players in the league. Gillis himself has publicly complained about reffing and discredited a rookie to cover his own ass after making a terrible trade. Character, lol.

#71 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Getting real tired of Gillis' "character" speech. We ice some of the least respected and most hated players in the league. Gillis himself has publicly complained about reffing and discredited a rookie to cover his own ass after making a terrible trade. Character, lol.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out then.
You think Gillis is the only one to complain about reffing try again,

You must be on something if you think Crosby and Malkin are loved by other guys in the league.

Also the trade was a year ago, get over it. Hodgson is going to get buried in Buffalo with their new plethora of centers. Even Buffalo management refused to give him more ice time than Ennis and when they did his plus minus was horrible. Vancouver sheltered Cody like it or not and the physical grind of the Eastern Conference is going to eat that kid alive. No one is bigger than the team and if you were a fan of the canucks you would see that trading hodgson was for the best.

Edited by pinecone, 16 December 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#72 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

You think Gillis is the only one to complain about reffing try again,

You must be on something if you think Crosby and Malkin are loved by other guys in the league.

Also the trade was a year ago, get over it. Hodgson is going to get buried in Buffalo with their new plethora of centers. Even Buffalo management refused to give him more ice time than Ennis and when they did his plus minus was horrible. Vancouver sheltered Cody like it or not and the physical grind of the Eastern Conference is going to eat that kid alive. No one is bigger than the team and if you were a fan of the canucks you would see that trading hodgson was for the best.

Other people being tools does not exuse Gillis for being a tool.

Keep telling yourself the trade was for the best, the opposite has already been proved. I like Kass more, but im not gonna lie to myself and say it was a smart move nor let Gillis off the hook especially after he ducked responsibility. Go ahead and say crap like "get over it", it wasn't 10 years ago, a lot more appropriate for discussion than most of the topics around here.

#73 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

You think Gillis is the only one to complain about reffing try again'

Character.Character of his players.Character of Gillis.
Not the trade.The comments made by the GM.The conjecture.The fact the GM pushed the rookie under the bus.
Gillis is the 'character' GM.
Bit of a joke by this stage of his tenure.

#74 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

On what planet does Cody Hodgson land a 60-80 point #1/#2 center in his mid-20s on a long-term contract?

Brayden Schenn was, at the time, almost unanimously considered the top prospect outside of the NHL when the Richards trade occurred and LAK still had to give up a young 3rd line RW in Wayne Simmonds and a 2nd round pick to go along with him to land Richards!

Edited by n00bxQb, 16 December 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#75 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

I personally believe he tried to play moneyball; and get away with trading for Kassian as the solution for our physical match issues.

He hired a green rookie instead of a veteran. Hey look, if he gets away with it we have play off success and a young body on an ELC for years. Look, when you trade for a rental and it does not work out (which is common) you have nothing. At least we still have Kassian, who is not a bad prospect. But the odd's of a veteran helping us were also much greater.

The fact Hodgson was whinging in the background should never have been & probably was not the reason to make this move, but became the fallback justification when the heat over the deal arrived. Maybe Hodgson and Hansen would have scored Jeff Carter?

Thats the bottom line at face value; LA's GM made better moves.

But somewhere else it was reported Kesler's shoulder was injured Feb 9th, before the deadline. Without Kess (at his best) MG probably knew we were a long shot this year. But you can't tell the market you have actually given up on the season; so instead you offer (a little white fib) that Kass is the physical "balance" we need. Maybe???

Again, what planet does this happen on?

Voracek is a better developing player than Hodgson is (2 years more experience, more production (38-, 50-, and 46-point seasons under his belt at the time of the trade, more projected upside, no health concerns, etc.) and Columbus also added the 8th overall pick and a 3rd round pick to get Carter. Voracek > Hodgson and 8th overall + 3rd rounder >>>>> Hansen.

Then LAK traded a top pair defenseman in Jack Johnson who is in his mid-20s on a long-term deal with a very nice cap hit and a 1st round pick for Carter. The equivalent of that would be us trading Edler and a 1st for Carter (Edler being a better dman than Johnson, but the pending UFA status would diminish his value to roughly that of Johnson's, possibly lower). Hodgson and Hansen is not equivalent to Jack Johnson and a 1st.

These suggestions that we could have landed an impact Top 6 forward in his mid-20s for Hodgson are simply asinine.

#76 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

JS must be cursing this lockout.
Kevin.jpg

#77 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Look at the context of what I said. The person I quoted about how the NHL should investigate Kesler's injury. Obviously they don't give a rat's *** because it's dealt with the insurance.

I wasn't disagreeing with you... I was finishing your sentence :P

Actually Vig don't Kill Dral, I believe him to mafia enough that I have dealt with him myself. 

#78 MattJVD

MattJVD

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Well, look at this from a financial standpoint.

As he was injured during the last season, he isn't currently "Locked Out"! As such, he is still receiving his 5 million per season pay.

That means, his AGENT would also be receiving HIS percentage of that contract.

If he was to suddenly be healthy, he would move to active status and be forced to join the other players in Lock Out mode and thus would no longer be eligible to continue collecting pay every 2 weeks.

Based on that, what do you think the chances are of either Kesler or his Agent admitting that he's healthy before the lockout ends???

The maximum penalty for fraud over $5000 in Canada is repayment of the money illegaly obtained and 14 years in prision. So yes, when doctors say Kesler is fit to play, he will come off the injured reserve.

#79 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Double post.

Edited by babych, 06 January 2013 - 03:38 PM.

(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#80 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

BIG SUPRISE!!!!!!!

So Kesler has months and months of rehab to do to be back to 100 percent. Isn't it convenient that he keeps getting paid his full salary this whole time if he says he's injured. Even more convenient that his agent is jumping up and down too.

I guarantee if the lockout ended middle of Janaury, Kesler would be ready within a week. It would be a miracle! But if the season gets canceled, Kesler says he's injured till March or April, the end of the season.

By the way, is Edler still supposedly injured too?

-Jagori

Let's see if you're right.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#81 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,395 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I wonder how big of a push Gillis made for Turris last year if it all? We are pretty lacking at centre now, Schroeder IMO won't ever be much of an impact player and Gaunce is a few years out.

If the season started today Lappy would be our 2nd line centre. Is there any decent 3rd line centres that are UFA's still?

I think Arnott's still available.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#82 stanley2012

stanley2012

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

BIG SUPRISE!!!!!!!

So Kesler has months and months of rehab to do to be back to 100 percent. Isn't it convenient that he keeps getting paid his full salary this whole time if he says he's injured. Even more convenient that his agent is jumping up and down too.

I guarantee if the lockout ended middle of Janaury, Kesler would be ready within a week. It would be a miracle! But if the season gets canceled, Kesler says he's injured till March or April, the end of the season.

By the way, is Edler still supposedly injured too?

-Jagori

Clearly you've never had a serious injury. Like I said in a previous thread these are not easy to come back from. I had my pelvis shattered 2 months ago in a car accident and had to have extensive surgery. I am not allowed to work for BARE MINIMUM 6 MONTHS but more than likely I will be off work for a year. My job is semi physical with running and what not but no where near as physical as these guys. When you have as serious of surgery as he has had you want it to be completely healed before you risk the grind of injuring yourself even worse. I'm glad there was a lockout and gave kes at least 4 extra months to rehab and regain strength.

#83 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I wonder if Kesler shouldnt not play until near playoff time like April so he be fresh and go to beast mode?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#84 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I wonder if Kesler shouldnt not play until near playoff time like April so he be fresh and go to beast mode?

You mean rust mode... Definitely earlier the better as long as he's healthy.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#85 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Again, what planet does this happen on?

Voracek is a better developing player than Hodgson is (2 years more experience, more production (38-, 50-, and 46-point seasons under his belt at the time of the trade, more projected upside, no health concerns, etc.) and Columbus also added the 8th overall pick and a 3rd round pick to get Carter. Voracek > Hodgson and 8th overall + 3rd rounder >>>>> Hansen.

Then LAK traded a top pair defenseman in Jack Johnson who is in his mid-20s on a long-term deal with a very nice cap hit and a 1st round pick for Carter. The equivalent of that would be us trading Edler and a 1st for Carter (Edler being a better dman than Johnson, but the pending UFA status would diminish his value to roughly that of Johnson's, possibly lower). Hodgson and Hansen is not equivalent to Jack Johnson and a 1st.

These suggestions that we could have landed an impact Top 6 forward in his mid-20s for Hodgson are simply asinine.

if we really wanted to get an impact player we would have had to give up more then just CoHo and scraps I agree,
it would have started with Either Cory Schneider, Edler, or Kesler as the main attraction going the other way plus probably Hansen,Coho, Tanev, being the secondary.. not worth it.
we got a good player out of the CoHo trade with the possibility to be a great player in the future. Probably one of the better outcomes of trading cody at that time.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#86 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,469 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

yea...having not played since june, going through surgery, and perhaps coming back in april...you think he can activate beast mode just like that....sorry not happening
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#87 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

yea...having not played since june, going through surgery, and perhaps coming back in april...you think he can activate beast mode just like that....sorry not happening

What? You mean there isn't a beast mode button you can just flip on and off at will?

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#88 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,815 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Just a bump in case actual information comes up again, but file this under funny:

dowbboy Mike Shanahan has proclaimed Ryan Kesler "ready to go".

Bruce Dowbiggen (a journalist with some 'colourful' articles) obviously playing up the RG3 debacle after Shanahan's Redskins lost to the Seahawks on the weekend, while playing an obviously hurt Griffiths at starting QB.

Now, here's hoping we get some real updates.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#89 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

You mean rust mode... Definitely earlier the better as long as he's healthy.

Disagree. There's no such thing as rust in the playoffs. But rest would be ultra-beneficial.

That being said, i don't expect Kesler to be out that long. At least with our current lineup.
Posted Image

#90 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Makes you wonder if Kesler for bobby ryan may make sense? Keslers agent is making a lot of noise which gillis I'm sure doesn't like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.