The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler MONTHS away from playing

Strombone1

I hope he's taking it slow and easy. Rushing it didn't work out so well for him or the team last time. I just don't see it as fair to assume he's scamming or in any way being less than honest about his condition just to keep getting paid.

I can completely understand the idea that having 2 major surgeries to your arm/shoulder on one side of the body could make it so much harder for you to be able to properly rehab either, and how it can throw the rest of the body out of alignment.

The way this article reads, it makes it sound as if the agent held a press conference to make this announcement. If you read the headlines on TSN; it says that Gillman (therefore the Canucks) disagree.

But there was also the barbs going back and forth when AV suggested his injuries were not an excuse at the end of the season. Kesler and his agent took exception, and its not the first time. They also did, as noted, wait nearly two months.

Does it look like Kesler, who also went after Hodgson when we played Buffalo, has learned something from CoHo?

There is little good to be made from that conversation. When you read Gillman's full quote he is not really calling out Kesler. And I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because clearly he was putting it out there even when he was hurt. Still, people, including the agent, should be very careful not to create controversy! It also does not serve his client...

The last thing we want is Kesler to be another Hodgson... :sadno: We love Kesler in beast mode not dive mode.

I would not put any stock into this at all. This all about his agent making sure that the Canucks are aware that Kesler is "months away" from returning, and thus, needs to continue to be paid during the lockout. It looks good when something like this is reported to the media should someone from the Canucks decide that Kesler is in fact healthy and therefore, deserving of being locked out.

I full expect that if there is an NHL season, Kesler will make a "miraculous" recovery and return much sooner if not immediately upon the start of training camp.

Keep in mind, the timing of Kesler's surgery was also orchestrated by his agent as well. He waited a full two months after the playoffs ended to have surgery, thus ensuring that he would not be ready for the start of the season, and therefore would be able to be paid during the lockout. Kesler has also been very sure to not jeopardize his free pay day by showing up at charity events but playing non-contact roles like coach or referee.

It certainly shows where Kesler's values are. It's all about getting paid, solidarity be damned.

BIG SUPRISE!!!!!!!

So Kesler has months and months of rehab to do to be back to 100 percent. Isn't it convenient that he keeps getting paid his full salary this whole time if he says he's injured. Even more convenient that his agent is jumping up and down too.

I guarantee if the lockout ended middle of Janaury, Kesler would be ready within a week. It would be a miracle! But if the season gets canceled, Kesler says he's injured till March or April, the end of the season.

By the way, is Edler still supposedly injured too?

-Jagori

BIG SUPRISE!!!!!!!

So Kesler has months and months of rehab to do to be back to 100 percent. Isn't it convenient that he keeps getting paid his full salary this whole time if he says he's injured. Even more convenient that his agent is jumping up and down too.

I guarantee if the lockout ended middle of Janaury, Kesler would be ready within a week. It would be a miracle! But if the season gets canceled, Kesler says he's injured till March or April, the end of the season.

By the way, is Edler still supposedly injured too?

-Jagori

I'm sorry to be rude, but you sir are an idiot.

Kesler won't continue to get paid simply because "he" says he's still injured, and why the hell do you care if he continues to get paid? He was hurt at work, people are entitled to be compensated for injuries at work, either paid time off or a buyout. It's not convenience, it's the law.

You know you can be anything you want on the internet, it's too bad you chose to be stupid / uneducated.

Normally I would agree. In a regular season you just don't do that for so many reasons. In the lockout though he's not at the rink everyday, and he's probably, understandably, not happy with the NHL. I don't know the exact rules but I assume he can go through rehab and still get paid. He can probably lift weights, strength train, and say it just doesn't feel right. Since there's no practice and no games to play, and no incentive to come off IR ... why not?

Kesler comes off the IR a month or two too early anyway because he can't stand not playing. Now are there are no games.

I wonder if he at least took the team out for dinner in these times of need?

Um. Insurance and companies hawk their own employees when it comes to thinks like injury time off. And this is for little guys on average salary. You don't think that the insurance, the company that has to deal with the insruance people, and the league itself who also deals with the insurance people, wouldn't keep tabs and have good doctors overseeing injuries and stuff like this worth millions to them?

I'm not surprised at all. He's an aging guy who plays hard, who all of a sudden seems to be having a majory surgery or two every year now. Before that, he was just getting random injuries in the playoffs all the time. Now he just happens to need surgery for them.

I wonder if the Canucks would hold a grudge...lol We all know why he is on a slow recovery and if you dont think the NHL Started next week Kesler would have a miracle recovery...and I know from past kelserisms, he came back early from injury and FAILED....He is a injury prone asset now...trade him quick....lol

I wonder if the Canucks would hold a grudge...lol We all know why he is on a slow recovery and if you dont think the NHL Started next week Kesler would have a miracle recovery...and I know from past kelserisms, he came back early from injury and FAILED....He is a injury prone asset now...trade him quick....lol

Well, look at this from a financial standpoint.

As he was injured during the last season, he isn't currently "Locked Out"! As such, he is still receiving his 5 million per season pay.

That means, his AGENT would also be receiving HIS percentage of that contract.

If he was to suddenly be healthy, he would move to active status and be forced to join the other players in Lock Out mode and thus would no longer be eligible to continue collecting pay every 2 weeks.

Based on that, what do you think the chances are of either Kesler or his Agent admitting that he's healthy before the lockout ends???

Saw this last night. It definitely sucks that he's months away, and is waaayyy behind in his recovery, but if these next few months prove to be beneficial to his recovery and him getting back to 100% then it's more than worth it.

Archived