The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iconic/cool pictures thread.

nuckin_futz

Pulitzer Prize winning photo of Oklahoma City fire Capt. Chris Fields carrying a dying Baylee Almon from the wreckage of the bombing at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal government Building in Oklahoma City, 1995. I watched this footage, and at the time thought that this would probably be one of those pictures that would forever be seared into people's minds. And I cried.

oklahoma-city-bombing.jpg

4.jpg?w=700

In the above unusual photo taken in 1932, the 70-year old Dr. Evan O’Neill Kane of Kane, Pennsylvania operated upon himself for inguinal hernia. When performing the complicated surgery Kane was very relaxed and even joking as he came within millimeters of important blood vessels. Because of the close proximity to the femoral artery it was a particularly delicate operation which Kane performed it in just under two hours.

Eleven years prior he removed his own appendix using only a local anesthetic.

Child-Soldiers.jpg

Child Soldiers in Sierra Leon.

West-Bank-Oded-Balilty-2007.jpg

A lone Jewish woman defying Israeli security forces as they remove illegal settlers in the West Bank.

Des-Moines-River-Mary-Chind-2010.jpg

A construction worker in a makeshift harness extends his arm to a drowning woman.

the-running-of-the-bull-start-8-am-on-july-7-to-14-pamplona-spain+1152_12919257819-tpfil02aw-13410.jpg

I am thinking the photographer just soiled himself.

Archived