The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Damned Floating Bridges

Guest Gumballthechewy

Guest Gumballthechewy

I hate floating bridges, plain and simple! They are stupid and Mr. Rose is an ass for coming up with the stupid idea in the first place! I just spent two hours trying to figure out this stupid floating bridge of mine and I'm just fed up to the point that I just want to throw the damn thing out a window or off a bridge! Fixed bridges are the only way to go as far as I'm concerned, they're easier to keep in tune and it's easier to replace the strings on one, in other words, they're not crap crapitty craptastic crapsicles dressed in a crap suit floating in a crap boat on crap river heading for Niagara crap falls.

How does anybody else feel about floating bridges, is it just me?

They're the best option in some cases...

Example: William R. Bennett Bridge -- The lake it floats over is deep, and the soil conditions are poor. It would have been very difficult and costly to attach the bridge to the lake bottom with permanent attachments. That's why it floats instead.

I prefer fixed bridge, my Les Paul sustains forever.

That said, a good floyd rose is awesome if you can learn how to tune it. If yours is a quality one then take the time to get used to it, if its a crap quality bridge then have fun hating it forever, those can be terrible.

Play around with it some more, get some practice tuning up, then take it to a friend or a store to get someone to tune it properly. That way you can at least play it for a while. Then when a string breaks (a much more terrifying experience for floyd owners) you can try again.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I prefer fixed bridge, my Les Paul sustains forever.

That said, a good floyd rose is awesome if you can learn how to tune it. If yours is a quality one then take the time to get used to it, if its a crap quality bridge then have fun hating it forever, those can be terrible.

Play around with it some more, get some practice tuning up, then take it to a friend or a store to get someone to tune it properly. That way you can at least play it for a while. Then when a string breaks (a much more terrifying experience for floyd owners) you can try again.

Lol I don't have a Floyd on my mandolin,but only the string pressure holds down the bridge, moves around when I play and throws off the intonation,stupid piece of crap anyway.had a Floyd on my Kramer that I sold......wish I never had loved that guitar.Floyds are great but they do require a lot of work and when they work they work great.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Lol I don't have a Floyd on my mandolin,but only the string pressure holds down the bridge, moves around when I play and throws off the intonation,stupid piece of crap anyway.had a Floyd on my Kramer that I sold......wish I never had loved that guitar.Floyds are great but they do require a lot of work and when they work they work great.

Archived