The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassians lack of scoring in the AHL a cause for concern?

Southpop45

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

so just wondering what everyone else is thinking about this. zack was suppose to go down to the ahl and just tear it apart. as of right now hes been okay but not great. now while he has shown flashes of dominance at times (abbotsford games), 12 points in 20 games in the AHL isnt what canucks fans were hoping for, so lets just hope he is off to a slow start. what do you guys think?

i'm not that concerned with the number of points he's putting up. i'm more concerned that he still remains an inconsistent player. we've all seen flashes of brilliance even at the NHL level. the biggest problem with him (since buffalo and rochester) was that he just would not show up or be invisible for stretches of the game. he needs to learn to play more consistent at the ahl level.

So he's not the answer to our first line anymore? His inconsistency has been the book on him, I was a little concerned when we got him because motivation is almost impossible to teach. I see him as a third or forth line player on the Canucks. The real problem is because of the expectations that are being put on him (and I have no idea where these expectations come from) he will probably be viewed as a frailer when in fact there is nothing wrong with being a third or forth line player. May not have been the best trade but that's hardly his fault.

Edit: you should add a third option to the poll, something like. "No the expectations were just to high for him"

So he's not the answer to our first line anymore? His inconsistency has been the book on him, I was a little concerned when we got him because motivation is almost impossible to teach. I see him as a third or forth line player on the Canucks. The real problem is because of the expectations that are being put on him (and I have no idea where these expectations come from) he will probably be viewed as a frailer when in fact there is nothing wrong with being a third or forth line player. May not have been the best trade but that's hardly his fault.

Edit: you should add a third option to the poll, something like. "No the expectations were just to high for him"

This is why one actually watches hockey games because stats don't tell the whole story. For example, he had, at least, 2 perfectly good waved off goals this season. It should also be noted that we are not a particularly high scoring team at this point in the season.

This being said, he has dropped off lately and not been looking that great but then again neither has the rest of the team. Give it time, he is still so young and has many lessons to learn.

Playing with the Sedins will make him produce. Exhibit A, Alex Burrows.

Kassian with his size, can drive to the net, open space for the Sedins, pot the garbage goals around the crease, and finish from the Sedins setting up and he will stick up for the Sedins.

I'm more concerned that our prospect team in the AHL as a whole looks like ass. Kassian is one of honestly very few potential bright spots. Schroeder doesn't look like he's going to pan out into much, Rodin who had potential seems to of fallen off, and really aside from Kassian the only real potential for anything resembling a first line player is Jensen.

Connautan is decent looking, Tanev at times looks good but recently his play has been pretty sketchy. A potential bright spot is Corrado who has been playing stellar and impressed a lot of people, but he's a smaller guy and not many small defensemen have done big things in the big leagues.

All in all, you have an aging top line in the Sedin twins, and you have no valid replacement. You have your second line C who is also aging, but more importantly, becoming very much injury prone and riddled with increasingly constant surgery, and no replacement. Even if we had Hodgson, let's be honest, Hodgson's play when he went almost 18 games without a goal or many points before he was traded and 'wanted out' didn't even scream to be that great of an 'elite' center talent. He'd probably be a 'decent' second line center at best.

We have holes on offense to begin with, and we don't even have anyone to rely on in the future to replace the pieces we do have that will need replacing in the next few years. We honestly have a pretty mediocre defense. I said a couple years ago whenever people started to call our defense 'top 5 in the league' that a bunch of average players does not work out to be a 'good defense'. It's an average defense. As is shown when Salo was out and we looked terrible in the regular season, or when Hamhuis went down are defense all but crumbled against Boston. Our defense is constantly one injury away, even to a depth player, to being considerably poor, and our offense is already streaky and unreliable in the playoffs, without even needing an injury.

Couple this with the fact that we have no bonafide number one D man in the prospect pool, and you're left with a rather disturbing picture. Our big window, has honestly all but passed with the improving of other teams around us. While I wouldn't shy away from saying it probably already passed with our lack of adding a big name forward when we needed one for the last two years, we don't seem to be any likely to get a big name D which would've potentially put us over the top either.

If the twins weren't getting up there in age before, with the addition to the current lockout, that's just one more year tacked on, and an already questionable window is suddenly even more closed.

As much as positive fans will try to hide from it, the future is looking mediocre. All of the bandwagon fans from 2003, and then from the Luongo era, didn't really get to see just what kind of team Vancouver usually was in the past. It was a mediocre one, that usually battled for the 8th playoff spot. We might not quite go back to that, but it's quickly approaching that territory again where we're more average than anything. Our prospect pool is mediocre, our current situation on both offense and defense is mediocre, and there is no real signs of reinforcement coming.

So, am I concerned about Kassian not putting up points? No, I am not concerned about that. He is one of our only real 'good shot' prospects.

Other than him, our only bright spot on the team, which has really been the only bright spot for years now, is our goaltending. Luongo was phenomenal. Schneider has a potentially good future on him, but that's just it. It's potential. No one knows how he's going to handle a full workload just yet, as it will be his first time in the NHL. And considering Luongo's career, and the fact he and Lundqvist have been the two best most consistent goalies in recent history, he's got pretty big shoes to fill. Not only will he have those expectations for the regular season to fill, he's got to do what Luongo had to do, which was to try and hide the shortcoming of the offense and defense of the team before him. Those bandwagon fans won't support him or the team when they start falling back down to earth as that 'window' closes, so he's going to have a lot of pressure on him while the bubble bursts.

Lack was just as good as Schneider was, with a worse team on the AHL, and is another great goalie prospect. But there's already been signs that he could potentially be gone given the situation above him. He's a good goalie prospect for a team with a 'franchise' goalie who is being pushed to be replaced, by another potential franchise goalie. If he doesn't walk, he's probably going to be traded. Schneider is really the only blue chip prospect that can become a top at his postition that we have. Outside of him, maybe Kassian, and maybe Jensen, instead of being worried about one of them, as I said before, I'm more concerned that those are all we have.

Yes. We need more from him. Great players make everyone around them better. Kass has that potential and the wolves have nobody else who has this attribute. They all have skill in their own rights, but together as a group they look disinterested at times and inconsistent so often. I think the real numbers we should be talking about are plus minus. If your gonna be a good player in the NHL on any line being responsible defensively is soo important.

Well it may cause a little concern but at the same time, he can't do it all by himself in the AHL. While the lack of production is a tad concerning we should expect him to go out every night a be able to carry the Wolves and be lighting everyone up. It needs to be a team effort not just Kassian.

The lack of the point production from the entire Wolves roster should be concerning.

His production clearly isn't great, but there's much more the story than points. Maybe he's just having bad puck luck, maybe his linemates suck, maybe his team is sucking. Also how is he doing away from the puck? Is he being physical and playing well defensively? It's hard to tell how someone is doing just based on stats without watching the game. Everyone goes through a slump once in a while, it's only 20 games in so there's plenty of time to pick up the production.

Connautan is decent looking, Tanev at times looks good but recently his play has been pretty sketchy. A potential bright spot is Corrado who has been playing stellar and impressed a lot of people, but he's a smaller guy and not many small defensemen have done big things in the big leagues.

All in all, you have an aging top line in the Sedin twins, and you have no valid replacement. You have your second line C who is also aging, but more importantly, becoming very much injury prone and riddled with increasingly constant surgery, and no replacement. Even if we had Hodgson, let's be honest, Hodgson's play when he went almost 18 games without a goal or many points before he was traded and 'wanted out' didn't even scream to be that great of an 'elite' center talent. He'd probably be a 'decent' second line center at best.

Archived