The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassians lack of scoring in the AHL a cause for concern?

Southpop45

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Our prospects and development system is terrible right now. Kassian looks disinterested half time time in the AHL and doesn't play defense. He's no Bertuzzi where he can just cherrypick all game long. If Gillis doesn't get some legit prospects in the Luongo,Schneider trade then I'll be pissed.

Jensen looks good in the Swedish Leage but who knows how he will fare in the NHL.

Half the time, he isn't even playing on the same line as Schroeder...our only decent centre. If he was playing on a line like...

Kreider-Granlund-Kassian, or a mix of any other skilled/strong players, his point production would most likely double. Being the biggest offensive weapon on the ice, but having almost no one else to match your skill on your team, makes you an easy target to defend.

So he's not the answer to our first line anymore? His inconsistency has been the book on him, I was a little concerned when we got him because motivation is almost impossible to teach. I see him as a third or forth line player on the Canucks. The real problem is because of the expectations that are being put on him (and I have no idea where these expectations come from) he will probably be viewed as a frailer when in fact there is nothing wrong with being a third or forth line player. May not have been the best trade but that's hardly his fault.

Edit: you should add a third option to the poll, something like. "No the expectations were just to high for him"

I voted yes. I honestly think that while the AHL's brand of hockey is a little different, that's no excuse. Even if it's just the AHL he should be workin' his butt off to prove that he's ready.

I didn't like the Hodgson trade, but I decided to withhold complete judgement until we saw if he (Kassian) actually performed or not. So far he hasn't done much in either the NHL or the AHL. He'd better get his butt in gear if he wants to prove me wrong.

Don't write off Kassian before he gets the chance to prove himself. He may be struggling in the AHL right now, but like previously stated, he cannot do this all by himself, he needs support, and the team is not providing any. If he was on a team that had players that were a PPG and he wasn't producing, then i'd be worried.

Don't write off Kassian before he gets the chance to prove himself. He may be struggling in the AHL right now, but like previously stated, he cannot do this all by himself, he needs support, and the team is not providing any. If he was on a team that had players that were a PPG and he wasn't producing, then i'd be worried.

Half the time, he isn't even playing on the same line as Schroeder...our only decent centre. If he was playing on a line like...

Kreider-Granlund-Kassian, or a mix of any other skilled/strong players, his point production would most likely double. Being the biggest offensive weapon on the ice, but having almost no one else to match your skill on your team, makes you an easy target to defend.

LOL...... So that's why he's benched, because the team is not providing him support? It has nothing to do with the support he's not providing the team, right? If he needs more support get him a wonder bra.

Edit: I don't want a player on the Canucks that can only work hard if he has the right support. You win with motivated players that fight for every play, you loose with players that only play hard when they "have the right support".

He's only gone a few games without getting a point geez. He was on a pretty good point streak until Arniel benched him for whatever reason. Good way to take confidence away from one of your best forwards. Hey Kass is having a pretty good point streak, so I know, lets bench him cuz he's not doing enough. Yeah maybe he made a couple of mistakes, but who doesn't? Does that warrant a benching? You're supposed to make mistakes in the AHL thats where you improve and learn to not make the same ones again. F off Arniel. I hope he doesn't ruin our young talant with his stupid methods.

He's only gone a few games without getting a point geez. He was on a pretty good point streak until Arniel benched him for whatever reason. Good way to take confidence away from one of your best forwards. Hey Kass is having a pretty good point streak, so I know, lets bench him cuz he's not doing enough. Yeah maybe he made a couple of mistakes, but who doesn't? Does that warrant a benching? You're supposed to make mistakes in the AHL thats where you improve and learn to not make the same ones again. F off Arniel. I hope he doesn't ruin our young talant with his stupid methods.

Frank Corrado is 6'1 and 195 pounds at 19 years old, since when is that small?

Erik Karlsson - 6 foot 180 pounds

Brian Campbell - 5'10 190 pounds

Dan Boyle - 5'11 190 pounds

Mark Streit - 5'11 195 pounds

Ryan Suter - 6'1 195 pounds

Kevin Bieksa - 6'1 200 pounds

Kimo Timonem - 5'10 190 pounds

Keith Yandle - 6'1 190 pounds

Kevin Shattenkirk - 5'11 205 pounds

Kris Letang - 6 feet 200 pounds

Michael Del Zotto - 6 feet 190 pounds

Duncan Keith - 6'1 200 pounds

Nick Leddy - 6 feet, 190 pounds

Those small guys that "don't really do much in the big leagues" all happen to be in the top 25 of nhl defense scoring from last season and just happen to be the same size or even smaller than Frank Corrado. You don't know what you're talking about!

And regarding Cody Hodgson...... Look you may still be bitter about the way it went down with the Canucks, but you can't ignore the facts :

1. captain of his junior team

2. top 10 draft pick

3. former Chl player of the year

4. 5th ALL TIME points in a year by a Canadian at the world juniors, only behind the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Eric Lindros, Brayden Schenn..

5. 5th in rookie scoring last season despite averaging 13 minutes per game, while everyone ahead of him averaged 17 minutes or more. ( Thats 328 minutes of ice time advantage over a whole season they had on Hodgson)

6. Captain of his Ahl team

Everything points to him being more than an "decent second liner at best" as you say.

So have you watched the games? Because I haven't. If you haven't then your assuming that he is working hard and getting benched because he has gone a few games without a point, right? I'm willing to bet that's not the case and he is not working hard (we saw it in Vancouver). I think the report was that his benching was approved by Canucks brass.

Edit: what you are supposed to do is work hard in the AHL and show your ready for the NHL, that's what your supposed to do. You are NOT supposed to be benched for not working hard.

Archived