The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassians lack of scoring in the AHL a cause for concern?

Southpop45

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's jump up and down in support of a young man that has to be benched in the minors to motivate him.

Then he comes back and does zippo for three games in a row.I'm warm all over.

"How a player does in the NHL is all that matters.And the bottom line is Hodgson has had an extra year over Kassian to play in the NHL, so it's not even a fair comparison. If there was a season this year, Kassian may very well have been on the third line and putting up points just like Hodgson. We won't know until he gets that chance though." DeNiro

"Kassian may very well have been..." Conjecture.De Niro Fantasy.

Kassian has played in 44 NHL games and has registered 4 goals and 6 assists for 10 points.

Hodgson has played in 91 NHL games and has registered 20 goals and 23 assists for 43 points.

The bottom line is Hodgson was misdiagnosed by this parent club and missed a year of his development.

"May very well have been",and "If there was" doesn't provide anything but De Niro fantasy speak.

Getting benched in the AHL due to publicly expressed concerns of management from both the Canucks and Wolves is the reality.

Is there cause for concern? Apparently enough to bench him to motivate him or get his attention or have him learn that he needs to focus or apply himself more.

Whatever the case,it is concerning but let's hope he comes around as he shows rare intangibles and promise.

Let's jump up and down in support of a young man that has to be benched in the minors to motivate him.

Then he comes back and does zippo for three games in a row.I'm warm all over.

"How a player does in the NHL is all that matters.And the bottom line is Hodgson has had an extra year over Kassian to play in the NHL, so it's not even a fair comparison. If there was a season this year, Kassian may very well have been on the third line and putting up points just like Hodgson. We won't know until he gets that chance though." DeNiro

"Kassian may very well have been..." Conjecture.De Niro Fantasy.

Kassian has played in 44 NHL games and has registered 4 goals and 6 assists for 10 points.

Hodgson has played in 91 NHL games and has registered 20 goals and 23 assists for 43 points.

The bottom line is Hodgson was misdiagnosed by this parent club and missed a year of his development.

"May very well have been",and "If there was" doesn't provide anything but De Niro fantasy speak.

Getting benched in the AHL due to publicly expressed concerns of management from both the Canucks and Wolves is the reality.

Is there cause for concern? Apparently enough to bench him to motivate him or get his attention or have him learn that he needs to focus or apply himself more.

Whatever the case,it is concerning but let's hope he comes around as he shows rare intangibles and promise.

Did you miss the end of the year Gillis presser? Cody Hodgson was intentionally shielded from defensive situations. He was purposely given only offensive zone starts to inflate his stats and enhance his trade value.

Also check Kassians stats with Rochester last year. Pretty similar to Cody Hodgsons this year, actually better.

Is that the one where Gilis protected his fat,overpaid rear end by throwing the beloved rookie under the team bus? Class act.

Plaboi,the De Niro mandate went out to CDC that it is all about the NHL.Clearly,in the NHL we are talking boy vs, man as in Zach vs. Cody stats wise.

All kidding aside,I wish Zach the best and hope he can overcome this adjustment period and put it together to finish the season on a high and go on to have a great career.

Kassian's talent is just not scoring goals,I agree, and that can be seen right now in the AHL.

Hodgson is putting up PPG stats and Kassian is slightly over half a point a game and has been benched.

Management would not bench Kassian if he was performing the intangibles needed while he is not scoring.

You may be sold,management is not.

Maybe you could comment upon the 2009 -2010 season,where Cody missed the entire summer's training plus 50 games due to injury and misdiagnosis?

Kassian never suffered a year's setback at the same critical stage and age and yet you and others here dismiss it as though it never happened or means little.

Let's see who does what for the remainder of the AHL season.Hodgson has just returned from injury and Kass is nice and healthy.

Kassian's talent is just not scoring goals,I agree, and that can be seen right now in the AHL.

Hodgson is putting up PPG stats and Kassian is slightly over half a point a game and has been benched.

Management would not bench Kassian if he was performing the intangibles needed while he is not scoring.

You may be sold,management is not.

^^^^

This

And if I might add it seems as though Arniel, and the wolves organiztion are a little more interested in developing Kassian's defensive game at this point in his career which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I for one was upset with his benching and lack of scoring, and I blamed it on Arniel, but maybe it really was/is for his own good. Besides for a young player, that is what being in the AHL is for, to round out your game is it not? I would much rather have Kassian put up less points now to work on his defensive prowess so he is much better prepared for the NHL. Obviously we can see that his offensive awareness is pretty good, he can hit, and probably beat the pulp out of most players his age. So I say why waste so much time and energy on the things that you're already good at, and neglect ther other aspects of your game? If Kass is always fighting and destroying other players chances are he is going to spend a lot more time in the box, and thats no way to get any better on the ice in a real game situattion. One element of his game that needs to be addressed right now is his defensive play. IMO, for the future, I would rather have a 25-35g, 45-55a guy that can hit, fight and be responsible DEFENSIVELY, than someone with the same numbers more, or less, that can not play defensive at all.

Anyway just my two cents on Kassians current status in the AHL..

I think Kassian needs time, no need to get angry just because he doesn't score now and then, look how long for the Sedin twins to become great. Hopefully he doesn't take as long but even if it does it happens one day and when that day comes everyone will have Kassian Canuck's jersey's cheering and chanting his name every time he touches the puck and even more when he's lighting it up or smashing bodies.

We need a full upside Kassian far more then a full upside Coho.

If we kept a full upside Coho, we would still get rag dolled against Boston or LA.

I think the gamble to have a skilled power forward to Kassian potential is a no brainer.

Kas is in School let him learn.

Cody's advanced stats are telling. He played against weaker opposing lines, got plenty of PP time and basically didn't have to work on his defensive game at all. This is why Manny was so leaned on for d zone faceoffs and despite winning around 60% of them (which makes him one of the best in the league for faceoffs) he had a brutal +/-. Our 3rd line didn't check and play a physical game because Cody was too small and too slow for that, so those duties fell entirely to the 4th line. But please, google Corsi, % zone starts and other advanced stats and then we'll continue the "You don't know the context for Hodgson's basic stats" discussion.

Kassian meanwhile came from Rochester who are perfectly content to have players who can put up points, even if they create GA as well. They're very happy to have Hodgson who can perform that role just fine. Kass meanwhile has much higher expectations of what he needs to do in his own end now. Not only do power forwards take more time to develop (although his protection of the puck is already pretty fantastic and will only get better) but he's also developing the ignored half of his game. This is why Kass is on the PK and Hodgson never was.

Developing a player who controls the game at both ends of the ice takes a lot more time than someone who can receive a pass and pop it in. But again, this is an understanding rooted in advanced stats that you've yet to exhibit an understanding of.

And Kassian's not yet an NHL quality player in either end of the ice, as evidenced by him being benched for the likes of Dale Wiese in the 2012 NHL playoffs.

So what's your point? This continued assassination of Hodgson by you is really embarrassing. The bitterness is very strong.

And Kassian's not yet an NHL quality player in either end of the ice, as evidenced by him being benched for the likes of Dale Wiese in the 2012 NHL playoffs.

So what's your point? This continued assassination of Hodgson by you is really embarrassing. The bitterness is very strong.

Archived