The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassians lack of scoring in the AHL a cause for concern?

Southpop45

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Developing a player who controls the game at both ends of the ice takes a lot more time than someone who can receive a pass and pop it in. But again, this is an understanding rooted in advanced stats that you've yet to exhibit an understanding of.

Following the AHL action in the last few games.

How is that Cody kid doing ,being molly cuddled and all with his terrible Corsi stats?

Is Kassian's lack of scoring still an issue? Doesn't seem to be with that other kid and his terrible Corsi whatever's.

Can't compare a player on the Americans vs on the Wolves. Kassian put up close to a ppg with the Americans (and 15 goals in 30 games). Kassian has .64 ppg with the Wolves, when Hodgson was with the Moose he had .58 ppg. That Moose team and the current Wolves team are different in terms of coaching and many of the players but they both suffer from low goal scoring.

Most established AHL guys (Haydar, Ebbett, Gordon, Sterling) are producing at a far lower clip than their career averages. Haydar is a 1 time 40 goal scorer, two time 30 goal scorer and 6 time 20 goal scorer. This year he has 3 goals in 23 games, which is on pace for a little over 10 goals over an 80 game season.

Beg to differ.

Kassian is having a nightmare in Chicago. I watched yet another poor performance today. The guy is losing touch with the basics. His puck handling, positioning, ability to use his physique, is just not there. Dare I say he is going backwards.

He is not helped in my opinion by the apparent total lack of system and some of his team mates trying to outdo him in mediocrity. It is an understatement to say I am very disappointed in his progress down there.

As for any comparisons with Hodgson, please!.............Hodgson always looked like he new what he was doing, especially with his ability to come away with the puck and distribute. Kassian and Tanev need to get away from Chicago before they are both ruined.

I agree. Arneil is a joke, and his system (whatever that is) sucks. He is going to ruin our prospects imo, So In saying that I hope the NHL regular season starts soon. Not just for the sake of having an opportunity to watch NHL level hockey again, but also for the sake of our young prospects that have a chance at making the team to get the hell out of Chicago. Kassian, Shroeder, and Tanev really need to get the heck out of there and fast..

Howcome it's so often the coach that gets blamed when the prospects don't perform?

Arneil coached/developed the following players for a significant period of time as head coach of the Moose:

• Jannik Hansen

• Alex Edler

• Rick Rypien

• Mason Raymond

• Luc Bourdon

• Cory Schneider

• Cody Hodgson

• Michael Grabner

Pretty good list. So either Arneil has forgotten how to coach, or the prospects in question might not be as good as we hope. I would tend to lean towards the latter.

Did you watch the Moose? They were heads and shoulders better then the way this team is playing right now. If you can't tell that there's coaching problems when you watch the Wolves then I don't know what to tell you....

No wonder you have such a bad rep on here.

It really does seem like Arniel forgot how to coach. I mean, Archibald scores on the pp, he takes him off. Schroeder,Kassian, Archibald score a goal, he splits them up

Theres no system, even Tanev looks lost sometimes. I haven't seen any of Kassians puck protection skills or physicality or anything that I saw the first couple of games.

Edit: It's not just prospects that are doing bad? Ebbett, Haydar, Gordon, Sterling etc.

Even Valk walk saying the coach doesn't know how to use his players properly. Kassian and Archibald should be IN FRONT OF THE NET BATTLING, not at the halfboards.

The fact remains I liked what I saw of Kassian when he first came to Vancouver but he seemed way short of stamina and tired quickly. I thought that was understandable as he still seemed to be carrying "puppy fat" But the thing was, I thought he had a "game" Now a few months in Chicago has put doubts in my mind.

Under MacT I thought the Wolves were patchy to say the least. However there were constants like Schroeder/Sweatt interplay and Tanev sailing through every match imperially, before he was called up and Haydar and Mancari looking like they understood the game ...................All of that seems to have evaporated.

Even under MacT, I struggled to see a system that ran through the lines. Not surprising, because I now think that was never intended either under MacT or Arneil. However they are constantly being bested by "lesser players" (apologies if that sounds disrespectful) playing to really strong systems that seem to run down the lines.

Another thing, how many times have the Wolves given up (more like handed over) an equaliser or a winning goal right after scoring? Talk about a fan pisser! If I was a Wolves fan I would be looking for some ass kickings for that alone.

Their passing is shoddy and 7/10 times causes the receiver to brake. Their outlets are giveaways/dumps. Their ability to come away with the puck on the boards (especially Kass and Archie who are big lads) is heartbreaking. They don't seem interested in checking (apart from Gordon and Archie) and seemed to always be out muscled.

What is the guys system? What are his tactics? For the life of me I can't see them. Here's a thought though, maybe he just doesn't rate the players he's been landed with.

I may even stop watching AHL now because watching the Wolves is doing my head in.

Kassian had better stats than Hodgson in the AHL as a 20 year old. The funny thing is Kassian's main role isn't to be a primary point producer, while Hodgson is. So the fact that Kassian did better than Hodgson just keeps growing his case as the better overall player, since scoring isn't even his bread and butter.

Archived