Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Is Kassians lack of scoring in the AHL a cause for concern?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Kassians lack of scoring in the AHL a cause for concern? (109 member(s) have cast votes)

is kassian lack of production concerning you about is development so far?

1. Yes, he should be dominating down there and he is not (68 votes [62.39%])

Percentage of vote: 62.39%

2. No, he is just off to a rough start and its no cause for concern (41 votes [37.61%])

Percentage of vote: 37.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Power Forwards do not need to be surrounded by talent to produce. Hence the numbers of guys like Nash, Iginla and to a lesser extent Doan.

You are wrong on so many levels. Power forwards typically need good players with them as their job is to open space for everyone else.

#62 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Sucks to see Kassian providing about half the PPG that Hodgson had going on...

#63 vv2

vv2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Why you all whining and complaining and still bitching about the coho trade
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#64 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

i am sure your number one on his list to prove anything to.

That's not my point. Many others are also expecting a lot from him (coaches, teammates, other fans), and he hasn't shown much thus far.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#65 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

Quick google search shows he does not wear a letter for the Rochester Americans.

Posted Image

preseason captain :bigblush:

Don't tell anybody though.... it takes away from the point I was trying to make in my earlier post B)

#66 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Sucks to see Kassian providing about half the PPG that Hodgson had going on...

If you want to go on stats alone........ Hodgson would be on pace for 2 goals after 20 games, at least Kassian has 6 :lol:

Most people should know by now that Hodgson is alot more likely to get more points than Kassian though.

Edited by TmanVan, 16 December 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#67 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

The Wolves are a VERY low scoring team. Kassian has 14 points in 22 games, tied second on the team.

Ebbett has the same number of points and was always a ppg player on other teams. Before last season Andrew Gordon averaged a ppg over his previous two seasons. This year he has 10 points in 21 games. Darren Haydar has 2 goals in 18 games. Heck he had a 122 point season one year. He also put up 18 goals and 35 points during a playoff run.

Kassian would probably be at around the 18-20 point mark if he was still on Rochester.
Sig too big.

#68 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

i'm not that concerned with the number of points he's putting up. i'm more concerned that he still remains an inconsistent player. we've all seen flashes of brilliance even at the NHL level. the biggest problem with him (since buffalo and rochester) was that he just would not show up or be invisible for stretches of the game. he needs to learn to play more consistent at the ahl level.

Sounds like a young Bertuzzi.

#69 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

so just wondering what everyone else is thinking about this. zack was suppose to go down to the ahl and just tear it apart. as of right now hes been okay but not great. now while he has shown flashes of dominance at times (abbotsford games), 12 points in 20 games in the AHL isnt what canucks fans were hoping for, so lets just hope he is off to a slow start. what do you guys think?

and who was it exactly that said he was doing to go down and dominate? you guys are doing it again.... first coho no kas... just leave the kid to develop... stop expecting a super star right away.. it took kes a few years it took bur a few years.. heck it took the sedins a few years...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#70 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

so just wondering what everyone else is thinking about this. zack was suppose to go down to the ahl and just tear it apart. as of right now hes been okay but not great. now while he has shown flashes of dominance at times (abbotsford games), 12 points in 20 games in the AHL isnt what canucks fans were hoping for, so lets just hope he is off to a slow start. what do you guys think?

Considering he scored 26 points in 30 games last season in the AHL, I would hope Kassian would be able to put up bigger numbers right now. That being said, the Wolves are garbage offensively, so he doesn't have much help.

I think what's more concerning is his lack of game-to-game consistency. Sometimes he downright looks lazy, other games he dominates, at times he won't play the body even though a player like him needs to be physical and in other games he looks hesitant offensively.

He needs to put everything together because he has the tools. We need Kassian to be a top-six player and not top out as a Raffi Torres (fair comparable) to make the Hodgson deal justified. I don't have any doubts Cody will be a 2nd line center. Kassian needs to be an impact player for us and he has the skills. Just needs to be consistent.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#71 Rick Rypien

Rick Rypien

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

You are wrong on so many levels. Power forwards typically need good players with them as their job is to open space for everyone else.

Then give me examples of power forwards who only produced good numbers when having an elite talent alongside them. You cant just make a claim with absolutely nothing to back it up.
Posted Image

#72 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Then give me examples of power forwards who only produced good numbers when having an elite talent alongside them. You cant just make a claim with absolutely nothing to back it up.

Todd bertuzzi Andrew ladd David booth

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#73 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hodgson - 30 points in 52 games in Manitoba 2010/11 = .57 points/game
Kassian - 14 points in 22 games in Chicago 2011/12 = .64 points/game

Not concerned.

#74 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hodgson - 30 points in 52 games in Manitoba 2010/11 = .57 points/game
Kassian - 14 points in 22 games in Chicago 2011/12 = .64 points/game

Not concerned.

my thoughts exactly. I bet you if booth was down there now he wouldnt be putting up stellar numbers either. all in all the wolves suck. especially their coach.

Edited by TruCanuck, 16 December 2012 - 04:40 PM.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#75 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Likewise where Schroeder is concerned.

21 goals and 44 points in 76 games last year = .58 points/game
14 points this year...

Not concerned.

#76 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

The coaching/mgmt. staff of the Canucks and Wolves are concerned about Kassian and Schroeder.
Of course,they have to manage and coach assets into responsible and effective NHL players. CDC bloggers have no skin in the game.

“With those two players, it was about consistency of their play,” Arniel said. “Everyone is accountable. Everyone has to fall into line the same way. It was just wasn’t one game. They had a few up and down games, and we needed to get that message sent to them that they do have to be good every night.
“They handled it well. But I hope they were pissed off.”
It was Arniel’s call, though he did let the Canucks in on his decision before Saturday. In an interview Tuesday, GM Mike Gillis said he supported it and Arniel’s team did respond with a 3-1 win over Peoria.
“They know why I did it,” Arniel said of the Canucks.
“I think everyone recognized no one is untouchable and everyone falls under the same rules. That’s what you hope.”

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2FH5aarST

#77 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

If you want to go on stats alone........ Hodgson would be on pace for 2 goals after 20 games, at least Kassian has 6 :lol:

Hodgson was a PPG AHL player until his arm was slashed and broken10 pts in 10 games played.
He was the center man on the league's top scoring line and ranked seventh amongst all AHL scorers.
Kassian:
0 points in game 1
1 assist in game 2
1 goal in game 3
1 goal in game 4
1 goal in game 5
0 points in game 6
1 goal in game 7
0 points in game
2 assists in game 9
0 points in game 10

7 pts;4g,3a in the first ten games.Looking really good for Kas.

0 points in game 11
0 points in game 12 (DNP)
0 points in game 13
0 points in game 14
1 assist in game 15
1 assist in game 16
1 goal,1 assist in game 17 Nov 24th
1 goal in game 18
0 points in game 19
0 points in game 20 (DNP-benched)

2 goals and 3 assists in the next ten Wolves games played.Slip-sliding away.

0 points in game 21 Dec 7th
0 points in game 22
0 points in game 23
2 assists in game 24

In 11 of 22 games Kas played he did not register a point,whatsoever.That is a 50% rate where he shows up on the score board.
Cosequently,in the other 11 games he played he registered 14 points or more than a PPG.
Kassian also leads his team in PIM's.

Easy to see why the upper crust (management) are soiling their expensive slacks and purchasing even more 25 year old scotch and brandy for the holidays.

Zack Attack.

#78 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Arneil is just getting the boys ready for Mr Gant when they get to the bigs..play hard in all zones or ride pine to the press box and back to the busses in the AHL.

#79 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hodgson was a PPG AHL player until his arm was slashed and broken10 pts in 10 games played.
He was the center man on the league's top scoring line and ranked seventh amongst all AHL scorers.
Kassian:
0 points in game 1
1 assist in game 2
1 goal in game 3
1 goal in game 4
1 goal in game 5
0 points in game 6
1 goal in game 7
0 points in game
2 assists in game 9
0 points in game 10

7 pts;4g,3a in the first ten games.Looking really good for Kas.

0 points in game 11
0 points in game 12 (DNP)
0 points in game 13
0 points in game 14
1 assist in game 15
1 assist in game 16
1 goal,1 assist in game 17 Nov 24th
1 goal in game 18
0 points in game 19
0 points in game 20 (DNP-benched)

"center man on the league's top scoring line"

That tells you all you need to know. Rochester is a way better team because Buffalo has much better prospects than us. Hodgson has Foligno, who does Kassian have? Ebbett? Sterling? Haydar? These guys have all been pretty average so far this season.

Oh, and Hodgson is a year older, so this continuous comparison of the two doesn't mean anything.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#80 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Ah,no De Niro.
Stats are stats.
When Kas is on it he plays well.
Still,he takes his team down shorthanded with penalties on a maximum level basis.
If Kas was that good he would be leading the AHL as Hodgson did.
Kas has great promise but is inconsistent.He is immature and has issues.One set of issues for another set.Great move,huh?
Hodgson was effectively consistent on the Nucks and with Rochester.

#81 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Ah,no De Niro.
Stats are stats.
Still,he takes his team down shorthanded with penalties on a maximum level basis.
Kas has great promise but is inconsistent.He is immature and has issues.One set of issues for another set.Great move,huh?

That's very dramatic Nuck Nit.
What is a "maximum level basis"?
Kassian had 31 pm in 30 games in Rochester last year, 51 in 57 NHL games, and 55 pim in 22 games this season in Chicago, in large part due to the fact that he has his share of fighting majors as players unwittingly attempt to take the opportunity to show what they're made of by taking him on. Despite that, he still has a mere 2.5 pm/game with a significant portion of those being offsetting majors. Your axe to grind is causing you to embellish, as usual, to try to make a point.

I'm sure Gillis et al are soiling their pants, buying boxes of Depends from PJ Stock, and cases of Monkey Shoulder Scotch for fear that Kassian is showing imminent signs of bust... while Regehr and Ruff were popping the champagne in Buffalo every game to season's end, thrilled to no limit with their rookie center.

#82 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

Ah,no De Niro.
Stats are stats.

Kassian was a PPG player the same as Hodgson on the same Rochester team, except he was 2 years younger at the time. Hodgson was only a 0.6 PPG player at that age because he was on the Moose, not the Americans.

If Hodgson were on the Wolves last season instead of the Canucks, I bet he would have put up the same 0.6 PPG pace as Kassian. The Wolves are just not a highly talented high scoring team like the Americans, that's the difference.

The trade between Hodgson and Kassian may be slightly more points from Hodgson, but mostly we're getting a player that's grittier and less disciplined, but he doesn't get pushed around and beaten on the boards like Hodgson did. That's what we need for the playoffs.

Edited by DeNiro, 17 December 2012 - 12:19 AM.

Posted Image

#83 coolcat13

coolcat13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

This was expected anyway. He's not good.

#84 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

This was expected anyway. He's not good.

Says the guy who probably has limited knowledge of him, and has based his entire opinion on last seasons small sample.

Whatever I'll sit back like I have with people who said Grabner was no good, and people who said Hodgson was no good. And I'll just shake my head when they become great players before everyone's eyes. :picard:

I'm surprised people are having this reaction after Kassian put up two points last game. Usually prospects only get called out when they have one bad game...

Edited by DeNiro, 17 December 2012 - 12:37 AM.

Posted Image

#85 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Posted Image

#86 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

Posted Image

bluejays style

#87 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

That tells you all you need to know. Rochester is a way better team because Buffalo has much better prospects than us. Hodgson has Foligno, who does Kassian have? Ebbett? Sterling? Haydar? These guys have all been pretty average so far this season.
Oh, and Hodgson is a year older, so this continuous comparison of the two doesn't mean anything.

Well,I agree Hodgson is a year older.He also spent one year of prime development time overcoming a serious injury that the Vancouver Canucks could not and did not diagnose,while fully expecting him to contribute and participate as a healthy player.
That is a matter of public record.So,it is your AHL stats that seem useless.
Moreover,your "I bet" is great at the betting table or hanging around with your buddies shooting the breeze but it has no basis in convincing me of anything but your telling me your opinion has more merit than reality.

Any team can excel with one exceptionally gifted player,as he or she will carry his or her team and allow the others the inspiration to dig deep to compliment the excellence they see and are willed to replicate to their own degree.That is sports lore and we see it in hockey every spring time.

Kassian is not carrying the Wolves.He was just benched with both the Wolves and Canucks mgmt.'s blessings and remained mired in a four game scoreless streak before and after the benching.

I have given you the stats on Hodgson and Kas.Let's see how your argument holds up :

"That tells you all you need to know. Rochester is a way better team because Buffalo has much better prospects than us. Hodgson has Foligno, who does Kassian have? " De Niro

Foligno with Hodgson:

1 goal,1 assist in game 1
1 goal in game 2
0 points in game 3
1 goal in game 4
2 goals,2 assists in game 5
1 assist in game 6
0 points in game 7
1 assist in game 8
0 points in game 9
0 points in game 10

"Hodgson has Foligno." De Niro
Actually,Foligno had Hodgson and vice versa as they both had the exact same point totals when they played together.
PPG for both players.

"That tells you all you need to know. Rochester is a way better team because Buffalo has much better prospects than us." De Niro

Really?
In reality Rochester has six less wins than Chicago.
Chicago has five more points.
Chicago is first in their division while Rochester is not.

Edited by nuck nit, 17 December 2012 - 04:01 AM.

#88 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

That's very dramatic Nuck Nit.
What is a "maximum level basis"?
Kassian had 31 pm in 30 games in Rochester last year, 51 in 57 NHL games, and 55 pim in 22 games this season in Chicago, in large part due to the fact that he has his share of fighting majors as players unwittingly attempt to take the opportunity to show what they're made of by taking him on. Despite that, he still has a mere 2.5 pm/game with a significant portion of those being offsetting majors. Your axe to grind is causing you to embellish, as usual, to try to make a point.

I'm sure Gillis et al are soiling their pants, buying boxes of Depends from PJ Stock, and cases of Monkey Shoulder Scotch for fear that Kassian is showing imminent signs of bust... while Regehr and Ruff were popping the champagne in Buffalo every game to season's end, thrilled to no limit with their rookie center.

Kass leads his team in penalties,has been benched and has gone scoreless in half his games.
Gillis is still getting paid his full salary and can afford more than just the Monkey Shoulder and Depends you seem to be familiar with.

#89 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

Kassian was a PPG player the same as Hodgson on the same Rochester team, except he was 2 years younger at the time. Hodgson was only a 0.6 PPG player at that age because he was on the Moose, not the Americans.

If Hodgson were on the Wolves last season instead of the Canucks, I bet he would have put up the same 0.6 PPG pace as Kassian. The Wolves are just not a highly talented high scoring team like the Americans, that's the difference.

The trade between Hodgson and Kassian may be slightly more points from Hodgson, but mostly we're getting a player that's grittier and less disciplined, but he doesn't get pushed around and beaten on the boards like Hodgson did. That's what we need for the playoffs.

Hodgson was playing injured.
Hodgson does not ply the boards for a living.
Kassian could not hold on to a fourth line playoff position with the Canucks.
The Wolves have six more goals against their opponents than total goals for in just 24 games played,so it appears that the Wolves problem is not only scoring goals,it is the fact they let more into their own net than they score.
The team that gets the best player in a trade usually does better.
Let's hope Kass can develop into a more consistent player than he is showing us at the AHL level thus far.

#90 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Why is there debate who is better? Evidently it is Cody at this point in time.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.