The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassians lack of scoring in the AHL a cause for concern?

Southpop45

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

so just wondering what everyone else is thinking about this. zack was suppose to go down to the ahl and just tear it apart. as of right now hes been okay but not great. now while he has shown flashes of dominance at times (abbotsford games), 12 points in 20 games in the AHL isnt what canucks fans were hoping for, so lets just hope he is off to a slow start. what do you guys think?

What are you even rambling about? What either player did in their junior careers means nothing now. The fact that Hodgson was a great junior player means nothing now. Until he strings a few seasons together in the NHL, the sample size is too small to predict what kind of player he's going to be.

Trying to gauge a players career path based on their junior career is about the most idiotic thing you can do. Are you one of those people who thinks they can predict a players entire career based on a season and a half of being in the AHL? Maybe you're the one that should talk to the Canucks scouts. :lol:

How a player does in the NHL is all that matters. Why would we follow our prospects otherwise? And the bottom line is Hodgson has had an extra year over Kassian to play in the NHL, so it's not even a fair comparison. If there was a season this year, Kassian may very well have been on the third line and putting up points just like Hodgson. We won't know until he gets that chance though. You keep ignoring the fact that Hodgson never ripped it up in the AHL before coming into the NHL and playing well.

Who said anything about predicting what kind of player they are going to be? They are players now! and one can argue who is better NOW.

I guess with your logic we can't compare Stamkos to Crosby because Crosby has been in the NHL longer??!!? boohoo that's not fair to Stamkos!!!

Telling others to STFU because you can't handle anything that will comprimise your hard-on for Kassian is BS and you should stop trying to rack up your post count by being a douche.

Edit: Nothing you has said is any reason why we can't compare these two hockey players. If Hodgson was a football player and Kassian was baseball player I would agree. I would even agree with you if one of them was a goalie but since they are both fowards, around the same age, playing the same game... they are infact comparable.

Just because you have to wait years to determine if a hockey player has any value doesn't mean everyone else lacks the ability to see a player for how they play in the present, wherever they may play (Be it the NHL, Juniors or AHL)

I'm sorry where did I say being good in junior = being good in the NHL please enlighten me because I don't see where I said that oh wait I didn't, so either you read a couple of lines and jumped to conclusions or perhaps you have mental challenges (in which case you have my sympathies)

What are you even rambling about? What either player did in their junior careers means nothing now. The fact that Hodgson was a great junior player means nothing now. Until he strings a few seasons together in the NHL, the sample size is too small to predict what kind of player he's going to be.

Trying to gauge a players career path based on their junior career is about the most idiotic thing you can do. Are you one of those people who thinks they can predict a players entire career based on a season and a half of being in the AHL? Maybe you're the one that should talk to the Canucks scouts. :lol:

How a player does in the NHL is all that matters. Why would we follow our prospects otherwise? And the bottom line is Hodgson has had an extra year over Kassian to play in the NHL, so it's not even a fair comparison. If there was a season this year, Kassian may very well have been on the third line and putting up points just like Hodgson. We won't know until he gets that chance though. You keep ignoring the fact that Hodgson never ripped it up in the AHL before coming into the NHL and playing well.

"I guess we can't compare Huberdeau to RNH or Reinhart to Rielly or any other player early on in his career :rolleyes: Hodgson and Kassian have both played in the NHL and many seasons of juniors, plus junior tournaments therefore they can be compared because they are both hockey players.

In your logic why bother comparing any junior players? Its a wonder why NHL teams do :rolleyes: they should just throw darts at a wall of draft eligible players and see who pans out after they've played a few seasons in the NHL."

you're listing off players that are excelling in the Junior level (the "present" as you called it) as if that somehow suggests they will automatically carry that into the NHL and still be that good in the future, which is why I brought up Daigle cause he was excelling in Junior and supposedly was the next great one and proceeded to fail hard. pls go hodgson fanboy still mad about trade

Oh my god you must be DeNiro's Boyfriend. He is saying people posting are not allowed to Compare Hodgson to Kassian. I Say people are not only allowed but that it is logical.

Where the hell did you read that I believe these players will excel in the NHL WHERE? SHOW ME!

I know who Daigle is and I also know that not every great junior player pans out. Where did I state anything to the contrary? You are looking to argue with me because I called your little friend out for being a bully and that is the only point I am making.

If people are not allowed to come here to talk about hockey and yes this includes comparing players then what the hell are these fourms for? Please enlighten me. Show me one shred of evidence of me saying RNH or Huberdeau or Yakupov or Reilly or Reinhart or Hodgson or Kassian or any other prospect or otherwise WILL DEFINITELY have a great NHL career.

COMPARING DOES NOT MEAN I THINK THEY WILL BE NHL STUDS!!!!!

You are just looking for something that isn't there bud. My guess is because you are starstruck with DeNiro and his post count and you are just looking for ways to impress him. Good luck with your man crush

Oh my god you must be DeNiro's Boyfriend. He is saying people posting are not allowed to Compare Hodgson to Kassian. I Say people are not only allowed but that it is logical.

Where the hell did you read that I believe these players will excel in the NHL WHERE? SHOW ME!

I know who Daigle is and I also know that not every great junior player pans out. Where did I state anything to the contrary? You are looking to argue with me because I called your little friend out for being a bully and that is the only point I am making.

If people are not allowed to come here to talk about hockey and yes this includes comparing players then what the hell are these fourms for? Please enlighten me. Show me one shred of evidence of me saying RNH or Huberdeau or Yakupov or Reilly or Reinhart or Hodgson or Kassian or any other prospect or otherwise WILL DEFINITELY have a great NHL career.

COMPARING DOES NOT MEAN I THINK THEY WILL BE NHL STUDS!!!!!

You are just looking for something that isn't there bud. My guess is because you are starstruck with DeNiro and his post count and you are just looking for ways to impress him. Good luck with your man crush

Simmer down Al.

If you can't see why comparing a player like Hodgson to a player like Kassian is not only silly but completely ridiculous then at least don't start tossing around insults like a 6 year old.

There are different types of players. There are things Hodgson brings that Kass will never bring to the table and vica versa so perhaps the point isn't that you can't compare as in you shouldn't but rather that you can't because you simply can't.

A better way to put it is perhaps you're not being told you shouldn't do something you're just being told it can't properly be done.

I think the issue is and why people compare the two so much (besides the fact they were traded for each other) is that last year we were in a position yo take a serious run at the cup and then MG pulled off this trade when we all knew that scoring in the playoffs was an issue for us.

He was billed at the time as not being a downgrade, therefore comparing the two is fine. Pulling out our third leading scorer right before the playoffs for a player that was to be benched in the playoffs was and is still a bad move. You can look at it any way you want but because of the timing and the risk involved with this trade comparisons are just.

If MG had better scouting on the kid he never would have made the trade. They should have traded him in the summer after the playoffs if the return was not of = value. MG thought is was equal value and zack could help us in the playoffs more then Cody could. MG "compared" there value to the team for that year and made the trade, he lost and we lost.

You can say all day that you can't "compare" the two or that zack just needs to play with the twins to play well (and he should have a free ride to the top line), but at the end it all comes back to "comparing" who would have helped us more when we needed it.

If you don't want to compare them then don't but don't get your panties in a fit if someone wants to.

Trade Kassian for Schultz then see what happens to production for each player.

We have a good pro team and a crappy minor team and its usually one or the other with some exceptions.

We don't get good draft picks cause we kick a$$

So y'all need to just let out some gas during that morning wiz and relax

Take it from Noheart.

He aint no fanboy - just talkin hard cold reason.

Playing with Eberle, Hall and Nugent-Hopkins - three point a game youngsters (or .9x p/game if you want to split hairs) in the NHL last year facing top NHL pairings - now facing AHL opposition... this is not the real test for Schultz - so save us the prattle. There's more to hockey than racking up points against out-manned competition. The real test will come when he is facing Eberle, Hall and Nugent-Hopkins quality players 20 minutes a game in the NHL... It aint gonna be a cake walk. The 22 year old (btw that's pretty damn old for an AHL "rookie") is good, and he's an Oiler. That was his decision. Quit whining and blaming Gillis and Vigneault. It's pathetic. The Coilers need him more and could offer something the Canucks could never Justinify. Get over it.

If you want to compare Kassian and Hodgson - at the same age in the AHL, Kassian is scoring at the same pace - and he hits, fights and his camp won't be publicly lobbying for Burrows' ice time in three months. Pretty favourable as far as I'm concerned.

(Passes gas, and doesn't sweat it.)

Archived