The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

In the United Kingdom, the annual rate of all gun deaths per 100,000 population is 2009: 0.22

In Japan, the annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is 2008: 0.0

Canada, the annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is 2009: 0.5

In Switzerland, the annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is 2010: 0.52

In the United States, the annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is 2009: 2.98

I can't believe there are people here who are against implementing improved gun control measures. I'm with Rupert.

And with that, I'm going to bed. I have 30 posts on CDC today, which is waaaaayyyy too much for me. There's only so much of this place one can take.

I'm not arguing against that, my point is simply if preventing preventable deaths is the motivation, then presumably you want to stop as many preventable deaths as possible, so presumably you would start with the preventable deaths that happen the most. Whether it is guns or cars or fridges isn't the point, it's the over the top reaction to rare events as though preventing those will prevent the most deaths. It's an emotional response, I get that. But it is void of logic.

And I'm saying that we are trying to prevent deaths from automobile accidents. As I said earlier, there have been many advances in auto safety in the last few decades. The same can't be said for gun safety.

You are far safer riding in a car today than you were 30 years ago. Are children safer in their own schools than they were 30 years ago?

Besides which, was does it have to be one or the other? Can't we be concerned about car safety and gun safety? That seems "logical" to me.

Restrictive? You have a twisted sense of what restrictive is. Read the article posted earlier about gun ownership in Japan. That's restrictive. (You may also want to note the effect that these laws have had on gun-related deaths in a country where over 100 million people are crammed into a few small islands) As the popular saying goes: "This would never happen in Japan".

In regards to your continued use of the term knee-jerk: I was an adult when Columbine happened and I called for changes then, I did so again after West Nickel Mines School, again Virginia Tech, again after Tuscon, and again after Aurora...

This has been an issue for me for over a decade. Nothing "knee-jerk" about it.

Archived