The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

Sickening.

All it would take to prevent this kind of thing happening again in the U.S. is to institute a police state.

And once again I find it strange that these kind of events happen so often now when civilian gun ownership is being targeted and not back when guns were a lot more readily obtainable, at least legally.

Well, an hour of "musical therapy" later, I offer this song called "Nothin'" as an antidote to feeling "lethargic about empathy" .. a simple song by a simple man who is too soon gone ..

Hold those you love close tonight, if only in your heart ..

I have to give Bertuzzi Babe a tonne of credit to be able to articulate those points in such a succinct and calm manner.

I could never do that. Reading crap like that being spewed by someone that shows total disrespect to innocent children irritates me to no end.

I do care about those children. How dare anyone say I don't?!

I have to give Bertuzzi Babe a tonne of credit to be able to articulate those points in such a succinct and calm manner.

I could never do that. Reading crap like that being spewed by someone that shows total disrespect to innocent children irritates me to no end.

I do care about those children. How dare anyone say I don't?!

Connection with other human beings is the essence of what we are as a species. I reflect over my life so far and the most memorable (good and bad) times is when I've had a close connection with someone else or in other circumstances lost that connection (e.g. death in the family). That's where my thoughts are with this tragic event. The parents who lost their children. The siblings who lost their brothers and sisters.

Teacher Put Herself Between ‘Kids and Gunman’s Bullets’:

First-grade teacher Vicki Leigh Soto, 27 years old, died trying to protect the children she loved, her cousin Jim Wiltsie said.

When the gunfire started on Friday morning, she gathered her students and tried to hide them in a classroom closet, officials told her family.

“In doing so, she put herself between the kids and the gunman’s bullets,” said Mr. Wiltsie, who is a police officer. “That is how she was found. Huddled with her children.” He said he didn’t know if her students were among the dead.

Ms. Soto, who had just turned 27 last month, grew up in Stratford, Conn. She was the oldest of four children in a big, extended family that included many public workers and first responders. Her cousin said that she loved going to the beach and was active in her church.

“Vicki was a great individual with a huge heart and put students first. Unfortunately, that is how she lost her life,” Mr. Wiltsie said. “I wanted people to know that she was a hero for what she did, and that she gets the recognition that she deserves.”

Her life was filled with family and children. From an early age, she knew she wanted to be a teacher. She had worked at Sandy Hook Elementary School for five years—three as a first-grade teacher and two as an intern—and was pursuing her master’s degree in special education at Southern Connecticut State University, according to her biography on the school’s website. She wrote that she graduated from Eastern Connecticut State University with a degree in elementary education and history.

“She was a very nurturing individual—big sister was her role,” Mr. Wiltsie said. “Instinctively as a teacher, all she wanted to do was protect those kids, and that is what she was trying to do.”

On her teacher page, she said she enjoyed reading, owned a black lab named Roxie and loved spending time with her brother, two sisters and cousins. She also wrote that she loved flamingos and the New York Yankees.

“I look forward to an amazing year in first grade with my amazing students of room 10!” Ms. Soto wrote on her teacher page.

http://stream.wsj.com/story/connecticut-school-shooting/SS-2-122485/SS-2-123366/?mod=wsj_streaming_connecticut-school-shooting

Imagine if you were the parent...

You get up in the morning and make breakfast for him/her. Send him/her off to school with a kiss and a smile. Then you get a phone call, you run to the school and you see cop cars and fire trucks. Then you see students running out to meet your parents. You don't see your child come out. That's when it hits you.

So sad....

Or if you were the survivor

You don't know whats happened and you're scarred for life. You remember your friends and loved ones perishing around you. You're confused and scared.

Or the parent of the survivor. You'rescared that this memory will inpact your child in a negative way. You are sad that you were that close to losing your child

Nobody deserves this and I hope God has the right punishment for Mr. Adam Lanza

I mean did the kids do anything to you? What could his mom have done to him to make him murder him at home and then kill all her students? What could the students have possibly done to make him shoot up the place? And then kill yourself? Just kill yourself before you go shoot up the place, 28 people dead is no small number, it puts this shooting at second deadliest school shooting in US history. The fact that 20 children lost their lives as well is just sad. They had their entire future ahead of them.

The children were incredibly innocent and did not desreve this. Neither did the teachers. Did you hear about that 27 year old teacher who put herself between the gunman and the students? She's still 27 and had nothing to do with Adam Lanza! She also has a huge future in her career ahead of her.

Nobody deservs this and Adam Lanza you bettergo to hell and Satan better torture you and whip you in hell or just put you in confinement or crap

Teacher Put Herself Between ‘Kids and Gunman’s Bullets’:

First-grade teacher Vicki Leigh Soto, 27 years old, died trying to protect the children she loved, her cousin Jim Wiltsie said.

When the gunfire started on Friday morning, she gathered her students and tried to hide them in a classroom closet, officials told her family.

“In doing so, she put herself between the kids and the gunman’s bullets,” said Mr. Wiltsie, who is a police officer. “That is how she was found. Huddled with her children.” He said he didn’t know if her students were among the dead.

Ms. Soto, who had just turned 27 last month, grew up in Stratford, Conn. She was the oldest of four children in a big, extended family that included many public workers and first responders. Her cousin said that she loved going to the beach and was active in her church.

“Vicki was a great individual with a huge heart and put students first. Unfortunately, that is how she lost her life,” Mr. Wiltsie said. “I wanted people to know that she was a hero for what she did, and that she gets the recognition that she deserves.”

Her life was filled with family and children. From an early age, she knew she wanted to be a teacher. She had worked at Sandy Hook Elementary School for five years—three as a first-grade teacher and two as an intern—and was pursuing her master’s degree in special education at Southern Connecticut State University, according to her biography on the school’s website. She wrote that she graduated from Eastern Connecticut State University with a degree in elementary education and history.

“She was a very nurturing individual—big sister was her role,” Mr. Wiltsie said. “Instinctively as a teacher, all she wanted to do was protect those kids, and that is what she was trying to do.”

On her teacher page, she said she enjoyed reading, owned a black lab named Roxie and loved spending time with her brother, two sisters and cousins. She also wrote that she loved flamingos and the New York Yankees.

“I look forward to an amazing year in first grade with my amazing students of room 10!” Ms. Soto wrote on her teacher page.

http://stream.wsj.co...school-shooting

I have to say that I have had a terribly dark feeling of acceptance regarding this incident. It seems like I wasn't surprised to begin with and even now just another average day. Its a shame that this is almost becoming the norm.

My original posts in the thread were more filled with an underlining anger and needing to point the finger of blame. Truth is that will never be possible. I only hope that this incident sparks some kind of deep resolve within Obama to get something done about this. Anything.

I have to refrain from reading any further details about this incident, as its just too sad to even think about.

Imagine if you were the parent...

You get up in the morning and make breakfast for him/her. Send him/her off to school with a kiss and a smile. Then you get a phone call, you run to the school and you see cop cars and fire trucks. Then you see students running out to meet your parents. You don't see your child come out. That's when it hits you.

So sad....

I have to say that I have had a terribly dark feeling of acceptance regarding this incident. It seems like I wasn't surprised to begin with and even now just another average day. Its a shame that this is almost becoming the norm.

My original posts in the thread were more filled with an underlining anger and needing to point the finger of blame. Truth is that will never be possible. I only hope that this incident sparks some kind of deep resolve within Obama to get something done about this. Anything.

I have to refrain from reading any further details about this incident, as its just too sad to even think about.

Archived