The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

It's a speech, nothing more -- I don't get caught up in speeches hence why I'm not so awestruck by Obama's ability to talk. It's not a legislative session, it's not the President signing a bill. Sorry, I don't let touchy feely things affect my thinking when it comes to the bigger picture of constitutional rights. It's a sad event and I feel bad for the innocent kids and adults who were murdered, but right when this happens the immediate discussion is how to limit rights based on a horrendously flawed premise.

It's a speech, nothing more -- I don't get caught up in speeches hence why I'm not so awestruck by Obama's ability to talk. It's not a legislative session, it's not the President signing a bill. Sorry, I don't let touchy feely things affect my thinking when it comes to the bigger picture of constitutional rights. It's a sad event and I feel bad for the innocent kids and adults who were murdered, but right when this happens the immediate discussion is how to limit rights based on a horrendously flawed premise.

You guys like snowball rolling downhill arguments, correct?

Why not give them all up if you can so easily trivialise one right?

Maybe exercising a right makes someone feel safe. Maybe they prefer to have a gun and keep it unloaded just to feel safe. Who gives a frack? It's not the people who exercise their rights to own a gun that are the problem, it's the people committing crimes. Yeah let's eliminate rights of law abiding citizens because of criminals. That'll show those criminals!

Utterly asinine.

Indeed those cases will have an impact when it comes to criteria other judges use to hear future cases but given the increasingly polarised and politicised nature of the judicial branch I wouldn't be surprised if stare decisis is not employed to overrule those decisions.

There is a very prominent gun control lobby as well, would you suggest they are a problem too?\

I sure would.

The amount of sway lobbies have in general is an enormous problem that places private interests above individual liberty.

No .. it is the discussion that is going on about how to change a culture of violence & horror, and guns are a part of that .. if your almighty Constitution is so great, it should allow for such discussion .. typical of most T-bag type thinkers, you are too defensive to even let the discussion take place ..

Empathy seems lost on too many folks these days .. :sadno:

Sometimes there are things in this world that are of far greater significance than a football game. We can't do anything to bring back the victims and we can't ease the pain of their families. But we can certainly take a moment to remember them and say a prayer for them.

I did my own version of a "prayer" two days ago. Some of us don't wish to be inundated 24/7 with grieving and sensationalism in the rare event they even turn the TV on. I hope you can understand. I get where you're coming from.

Well, one of those changes requires amending or removing a very explicitly stated right that shall not be infringed.

If you think taking my position is easier try defending it on these forums. :lol:

Now I'm a cold blooded killer in training? There is no hyperbole you won't venture to, is there? :lol:

Sharpshooter entertained me with a full thread last time this discussion came up of calling me a teabagger and gun wielding nut. For people who try to come off as rational you can't seem to keep even-keel. Irrational outbursts are a sign of something..

But allowing people to own them is the solution? Alrighty then. The Americans already gave up some of their freedom after 9/11 because of safety issues yet they can't let go of their precious guns when incidents like these occur on a daily basis. Removal of weapons or stricter gun laws might not be the "magical solution" but at the very least it is something, right? You didn't hear Obama's speech tonight?

Archived