The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

Cause the media wasn't there to make these mental cases into celebrities and give them a motive to do it

there's been 31 mass shootings in the 13 years since Columbine cause the media made Eric Harris and Dylan Kiebold household names. How many were there in the 13 years prior to Columbine that would be interesting to know

The last federal law on assault weapons (1994-2004) named 18 specific models. The updated law will be more comprehensive. President Obama is reportedly onside.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., the author of the assault weapons ban that became law in 1994 but expired in 2004, says she will introduce an “updated’’ assault weapons ban when Congress convenes Jan. 3.

Her new bill would outlaw 100 specifically-named firearms, weapons that can accept detachable magazines as well as certain semiautomatic rifles, handguns and shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2012/12/18/getting-specific-obama-endorses-a-new-assault-weapons-ban/

6th-grader brings gun to school to protect against ‘Connecticut-style’ attack

A sixth-grader at West Kearns Elementary School near Salt Lake City, Utah, brought a gun to school on Monday, saying he wanted to protect himself and his friends after Friday's shooting in Newtown, Conn.

He "continues to assert that he brought the weapon to protect himself and his friends from a 'Connecticut-style [shooting],'" Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said.

Two of the 11-year-old's classmates told their teacher on Monday afternoon that the student had a gun. The teacher immediately "apprehended" the student and contacted the authorities, Horsley said. The boy is being charged with one count of possession of a firearm on school property and three counts of aggravated assault, for allegedly threatening some of his classmates.

He will be charged in the juvenile system and eventually will be transferred to another school.

Better to arm students,eh? Self-help remedies work best.

Authorities say a Utah sixth-grader caught with a gun at school told administrators he brought the weapon to defend himself in case of an attack similar to the mass shooting last week in Newtown, Conn.

School officials say the 11-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of possessing a dangerous weapon and aggravated assault after other students told police he pointed the handgun at them on a field at a suburban Salt Lake City elementary school.

Officials say school staff confronted the boy in class after hearing he had a weapon and seized the unloaded gun and ammunition from his backpack Monday.

Authorities have not released the child's name and will not say where he got the gun. No one was injured.

The boy was due in juvenile court later Tuesday.

http://abcnews.go.co...37#.UNDnTeTAcrV

BTW in Canada he could not have been charged as we do not deal with offenders under the age of 12 in Youth Court.

Connecticut gunman never spoke, made no eye contact and was always with mother: hair stylist:

NEWTOWN, Conn. - As a teenager, Adam Lanza would come in for a haircut about every six weeks without speaking or looking at anyone and always accompanied by his mother, said stylists at a salon in the Connecticut town where Lanza gunned down 27 people last week, including his mother, before killing himself.

He stopped coming in a few years ago, and the employees at the

salon thought he had moved away, said stylist Bob Skuba.

The comments from him and his colleagues were among the first describing how the Lanzas interacted with each other.

Investigators have found no letters or diaries that could explain the attack, one of the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history. After killing his mother, Lanza forced his way into an elementary school and killed 26 people, including 20 young children. He then shot himself.

Cutting Adam Lanza's hair "was a very long half an hour. It was a very uncomfortable situation," stylist Diane Harty said. She said that she never heard his voice and that Nancy Lanza also hardly spoke.

Another stylist, Jessica Phillips, echoed their descriptions of the Lanzas and added that Nancy Lanza would give her son directions about what to do and where to go.

Adam would move only "when his mother told him to," Skuba said.

"I would say, 'Adam, come on.' He wouldn't move," Skuba said. "And his mother would have to say, 'Adam, come on, he's ready.' It was like I was invisible." He said Adam also wouldn't move from his chair after his hair was cut until his mother told him to.

If a stylist would ask Adam a question, Skuba said, his mother would answer.

"He would just be looking down at the tiles ... the whole time," Skuba said.

Former classmates have previously described Adam Lanza as intelligent but remote, and former high school adviser described him as anxious and shy. Several people who knew his mother have described her as a devoted parent.

Divorce paperwork released this week showed that Nancy Lanza had the authority to make all decisions regarding Adam's upbringing. The divorce was finalized in September 2009, when Adam Lanza was 17.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/fashion-beauty/Stylists+Connecticut+gunman+never+spoke+made+contact+always/7717396/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Other countries have mass media as well, however, they don't seem to have mass murder on the scale that the U.S. does. I'm pretty sure if you asked the average Canadian, Briton, German or Australian who Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were, they'd be able to tell you.

Why? Because it was all over their respective media as well. Yet, it seems like the lion's share of these shootings still happen in the US. So, if we have the same access to the media that Americans do, there must be another reason for the discrepancy...

I could have predicted this:

In Rowan County, NC a group of students, who made posts on facebook and twitter hinting at a "copycat" incident, using the "doomsday" hype as leverage, have been suspended and all of the schools across the county are going to be under mandatory lockdown all tomorrow.

County right beside of mine, and their "Emergency Response and Preparation" has been calling every house in the Rowan-Salisbury school district...I guess as a precaution? Either way..this is the kind of crap the "doomsday" nonsense evokes in people.

Everybody reacts to grief in their own way. It is not always deemed appropriate or acceptable to some others but until you're walking in their shoes perhaps you should keep your half-baked (ok, they're not even half-baked, that would be doing the half-baked a disservice) and moronic conspiracy theories to yourself. I had to speak at my father's service, and my demeanor just prior to walking into his service was very different than that while speaking. Dollars to doughnuts, you have no idea what these people are going through so what gives you the right to criticize the way they are reacting to the death of their child?

I am appalled and utterly disgusted with the tin foil hat wearers and rabid conspiracy theory morons who are flooding youtube and the internet with this crap. Absolutely sick mental midgets they are.

A great deal of that is the American penchant for violence .. most, if not all, of their heroes are violent type people from John Wayne to Chuck Norris to the "war hero of the moment" .. theirs is a "culture of violence" and the easy way out is to reach for the nearest firearm .. and since there are so many firearms, they react too fast for their own good ..

But the key is to "Stand Your Ground"... amirite?

Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law has been cited in hundreds of cases. People have used it to justify shooting, stabbing, killing and maiming would-be intruders, romantic competitors and rival gang members.

And on Sunday, at a pizza joint in St. Petersburg, a man tried to use it as justification for shooting another customer who was yelling at workers because he wasn't getting his order fast enough.

Police said the incident unfolded about 4 p.m. inside the Little Caesars, 3463 Fourth St. N, after Randall White, 49, got mad about his service.

Another man in line, Michael Jock, 52, of St. Petersburg admonished White.

That "prompted them to exchange words and it became a shoving match," said police spokesman Mike Puetz.

White raised a fist. Jock, a concealed-weapons permit holder, pulled out a .38 Taurus Ultralight Special Revolver.

He fired one round, hitting White in the lower torso. The men grappled and the gun fired again, hitting White in roughly the same spot, police said.

One bullet lodged in a wall in the restaurant, which was occupied by at least two other people.

After the shooting, both men went outside and waited for police. Jock told officers the shooting was justified under "stand your ground," Puetz said.

"He felt he was in his rights," Puetz said. "He brought it up specifically and cited it to the officer."

He told officers he feared for his life. He mentioned that he thought White had an object in his hand, then backed off that when officers pressed him. Florida's "stand your ground law" says people are not required to retreat before using deadly force.

"We determined it did not reach a level where deadly force was required," Puetz said.

Police arrested Jock on charges of aggravated battery with a weapon and shooting within a building. He was released from jail on $20,000 bail.

Jock told the Tampa Bay Times he was meeting with a lawyer today, but declined further comment.

White was treated at Bayfront Medical Center and released. Reached by phone Monday night, he said he felt lucky to be alive. He was also angry.

"There are arguments every day, but how many people pull out a gun? When you pull a gun out and shoot somebody, your life better be in danger," White said. "He was in my face and I pushed him. His life was not being threatened."

White said he got mad because his thin-crust vegetable pie was taking longer than the 10 minutes he was promised.

"Twenty minutes later, I'm like, 'Where's my pizza?' " White said.

White, who admitted he was tired and agitated, started talking about the service. That's when he said Jock "started chewing me out."

White said the gun came out quickly. A shot rang out. The two men wrestled for the gun before the second shot was fired.

White said he still has a bullet fragment in his back.

"I got lucky," he said. "To me, that stand your ground rule … people are twisting it. He's twisting it. I walked in to get a pizza and I got shot … I'm hoping the law prevails. We'll see."

http://www.tampabay....service/1266589

Archived