The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

Just sickening, absolutely disgusting. These senseless deaths needs to end. You shouldn't have to fear sending your kids to school or going to a movie. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and families in Connecticut.

I honestly have no idea whether tougher gun laws would prevent something like this...obviously if the shooter wants to kill people he will try to kill people no matter what. There is still the possibility that he would be able to get a gun illegally, but it's less of a guarantee than going into the store and buying one. He may have used other weapons, but they may not be as effective or reliable as a gun. And of course the US not only has loose gun laws, but also a gun culture, which could have an effect on people. So it's hard to tell whether gun laws would help. But one thing that should be obvious is that the shooters in these situations are usually messed up individuals, and the most effective way to prevent them from committing these crimes is to address the root cause and solve their mental issues. I don't think mentally unstable people should be able to won guns, but that's only a partial solution. The real solution is to identify and help these people before it's too late. Gun control will help in some cases but they won't prevent these things completely.

Anyways this is such a horrific event. It's one thing to go shoot up an office building, but an elementary school, murdering dozens of little kids? WTF. I feel so sorry for the victims' families and the other surviving students. Many of them will be traumatized for life. RIP to the victims. So messed up in every way possible.If the shooter is still alive I hope they make his life miserable.

I sincerely hope you are referring to the fact that someone was misidentified on these two social networking sites and not that this mass murder at an elementary school had anything to do with the fact that Facebook and Twitter exist.

Because if you are, I do have something more to say to you. And it's not polite. It's not even semi-polite. Politeness has left the building.

I have already outlined my thoughts on how the media - and mainly social media - provides the attention needed for these killers to do more than just kill themselves. They want people to visit those pages and link to other sites such as this. They want everyone to see it and know who they are. So yes, to me it has everything to do about Facebook, twitter and any media outlet who's primary story is the one we are discussing. Thats my opinion. Go ahead and not be polite to me. I'd love to see what you have on your mind.

I have already outlined my thoughts on how the media - and mainly social media - provides the attention needed for these killers to do more than just kill themselves. They want people to visit those pages and link to other sites such as this. They want everyone to see it and know who they are. So yes, to me it has everything to do about Facebook, twitter and any media outlet who's primary story is the one we are discussing. Thats my opinion. Go ahead and not be polite to me. I'd love to see what you have on your mind.

Shoveling snow while mourning brings clarity .. the fact this "person" went to where his Mother taught kindergarten, then shot her AND these children cries out that he was mentally ill and blamed these children for taking his Mother away from him .. he'll show her, by God .. so sad and senseless .. and not readily solved .. too many contributing factors .. RIP, innocent ones ..

Thank you. I just wanted you to confirm, and put in black and white, the ridiculousness of this viewpoint. It speaks for itself. No more words need to be said.

And besides, the words I would have posted would not only have been impolite, they would probably have been grounds for a banning. Yep, let's go back to tin cans and string and handwritten notes to communicate with others....... :rolleyes:

Yep, those that turn guns on themselves after murdering innocent children and adults really are hanging around to see all the media blitz about their actions. Yup, uh huh..... jeez.

Yawn... I just repeated what I had already said earlier. I don't see any reason to confirm anything. Looks like you're all bark and no bite. Shame not everyone has the same view point as you and could actually have the audacity to criticize your precious Facebook and twitter. Of which I'm already sure you spend too much time on and are completely biased in this argument.

27 confirmed via CNN.

[updated at 3:45 p.m. ET] There were a total of 27 people dead at the school, Lt. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police said.

Six adults, 20 children and the shooter were killed. Eighteen students were pronounced dead at the scene, and two others died at the hospital, said Lt. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police. The six adults died at the scene.

Archived