The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

This article outlines how media(social media/Facebook/twitter ect ect) can ADD to the 'boiling point' which the article refers. Even the 'frenzy' here in this thread is a clear example. And that's my point is that the kind of coverage these events get can feed future potential mass killings. Even us here blowing up this thread on the issue - and rightly so - could in fact add to the problem. The more attention, the more glorification for 'necrophilism'. Hope that clears things up a little better for those who may have misunderstood my posts.

While I completely disagree with SpecialEd's theory that mass shootings result from Facebook/Twitter, I do believe that posts like the one you quoted are very much a product of our society's emphasis on social media and the importance of being 'first' to report things (just look at the first page of any GDT). We never think about the emotional element, what this means for people's families. What hundreds of children must be feeling right now. How scared they are, how panicked their parents must be.

Instead, we want numbers. How many dead? How many shots fired? What are the death statistics? Who the frack cares whether its 10, 15, 20? Many people are dead, it that is a tragedy.

Gotta give it to the teachers of the school. By the sounds of it, they acted quickly and made the kids huddle up in classrooms. The kids were told to cover their eyes as they evacuated the school so that they wouldn't see the bodies of the dead. Just so horrific. Can't imagine a kindergarten class being shot up like that. The kids were too young to even process what was going on. It'll be interesting to find out what his motive was for doing that to his mom's class of students. Not that it really matters I guess...

Hard to do anything today knowing that this is the world we live in.

http://nj1015.com/mass-shooters-linked-to-social-media-posts-audio/

'Social media has been linked to mass shootings across the nation recently – with suspects posting warnings of possible attacks and violence on MySpace and Twitter, that law enforcement officials only discover after the incident.'

“What we’re seeing is isolated cases of troubled people, who did reach out in some capacity,” said Dr. Pamela Rutledge, director of the Media Psychology Research Center.

She says often times, ****mass murderers are looking for their fifteen minutes of fame****,but its also tough to pinpoint if one of your cyber friends might actually be dangerous.

http://nj1015.com/ma...ia-posts-audio/

'Social media has been linked to mass shootings across the nation recently – with suspects posting warnings of possible attacks and violence on MySpace and Twitter, that law enforcement officials only discover after the incident.'

“What we’re seeing is isolated cases of troubled people, who did reach out in some capacity,” said Dr. Pamela Rutledge, director of the Media Psychology Research Center.

She says often times, [/bold]mass murderers are looking for their fifteen minutes of fame[bold], but its also tough to pinpoint if one of your cyber friends might actually be dangerous.

http://nj1015.com/ma...ia-posts-audio/

"What we're seeing is isolated cases of troubled people, who did reach out in some capacity," said Dr. Pamela Rutledge, director of the Media Psychology Research Center.

She says often times, ****mass murderers are looking for their fifteen minutes of fame****,but its also tough to pinpoint if one of your cyber friends might actually be dangerous.

http://www.academia.edu/1199492/Hegemonic_Masculinity_and_Mass_Murderers_in_the_United_States

There is another very informative article. Which lists 'media' as having been one of three criteria for 28 mass murders. The other two being the individual was male and lived in the United States since the 1970s.

Interestingly enough 'social exclusion' is discussed as also being a contributing factor here. Which is why many of these attacks occur at schools and threats conveyed on social media sites. This has more to do with a social disconnect as opposed to guns in my opinion.

Glorification through the media is the perfect way for them to 'get back at society' and why it's hard for the killers to resist letting out some indicators of what they plan.

I think the bolded directly contradicts what you have been trying to say. If Social Media is providing people who are normally isolated an opportunity to reach out to others, wouldn't that suggest that Social Media helps prevent such incidents? This is not my argument, but it is the one being made in the article you have provided, and this argument is contrary to your original argument.

I think the bolded directly contradicts what you have been trying to say. If Social Media is providing people who are normally isolated an opportunity to reach out to others, wouldn't that suggest that Social Media helps prevent such incidents? This is not my argument, but it is the one being made in the article you have provided, and this argument is contrary to your original argument.

Archived