842 replies to this topic

#361 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

I picked up my daughter from daycare today and I couldn't let her go.

Such a special feeling, knowing your babies are safe ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#362 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

http://www.huffingto...school-shooting

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#363 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

Then perhaps gun control debate should have it's own ongoing thread. It shouldn't be tainting threads like this one.

And after all the gun control debates there have been on this board, it's still the same people having the same debate. You're preaching to the same choir, Rupert. Should there be debate? Debate away.....but perhaps it should be in it's own thread. Count back and see just how many of the last posts have even mentioned the thread topic. Not many, right?

I have nothing against you, and I'm sure you are the biggest sweetheart in real life - and I mean that.

But seriously, such a tragic event is undoubtedly going to effect many people in different ways. With that being said, is there really a need for you to tell people what they can and can't say with a topic such as this. There are only so many posts one can make saying how sorry they are for the families.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#364 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I found out about this after work today. I have two boys, one in preschool. I still feel sick.
Posted Image

#365 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

I called my 8 grand children to tell them how much I love and cherish them ..

My New York nieces and nephews got calls today and my nieces here in town got a surprise visit with lots of extra I love you's and special hugs flying everywhere. My eldest niece is in kindergarten and I cannot even fathom sending her off to school this morning and getting a phone call half an hour later that there'd been something like this happen at her school. The terror of not knowing, the possibility that she might not ever come home.....the feeling is indescribable and makes me feel sick to my stomach. And what we're feeling in empathy, in imagining how we'd feel if it were us...is only a miniscule fraction of what those families in Newtown must be feeling tonight.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 11:30 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#366 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

s_l_s.gif

burroes.gif

#367 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Such a special feeling, knowing your babies are safe ..

Yes it is.
Posted Image

#368 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

My New York nieces and nephews got calls today and my nieces here in town got a surprise visit with lots of extra I love you's and special hugs flying everywhere. My eldest niece is in kindergarten and I cannot even fathom sending her off to school this morning and getting a phone call half an hour later that there'd been something like this happen at her school. The terror of not knowing, the possibility that she might not ever come home.....the feeling is indescribable and makes me feel sick to my stomach. I can't even grasp what those families in Newtown must be feeling tonight.

We are all susceptible to violence, no matter our profession .. but as children, we need to feel secure in order to thrive .. right now our Society seems much more focused on "what is good for ME" versus "what is good for us" .. we are nearing the bottom of a 30 year spiral of 'greed over need' .. there are so many variables at play but this single event may trigger an upsurge of "caring" ..

Words like this are often treated with contempt by those who lack empathy or an open mind .. sadly, they may never know what it feels like to truly 'love' someone else more than they 'love' themselves ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#369 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

I think what I find most alarming about this is for me is that I feel absolutely no sadness or sympathy for the families or kids. It`s terrible it happened to them, I wish it never would have happened, but I literally feel​ nothing. I never do anymore. I am completely devoid of empathy. I read people posts about being in tears and could never imagine actually being sad enough about anything like this to actually personally care.

I have no idea what`s wrong with me. I am disgust with my self.

#370 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

I think what I find most alarming about this is for me is that I feel absolutely no sadness or sympathy for the families or kids. It`s terrible it happened to them, I wish it never would have happened, but I literally feel​ nothing. I never do anymore. I am completely devoid of empathy. I read people posts about being in tears and could never imagine actually being sad enough about anything like this to actually personally care.

If you are serious, then you most likely suffer from "dissociation" .. if you are being "funny", then you suffer from something far worse ..

#371 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

If you are serious, then you most likely suffer from "dissociation" .. if you are being "funny", then you suffer from something far worse ..

No, not trying to be funny.

I just never, ever, ever, feel sadness, sympathy, empathy..etc

It noticed it started a few years ago (7ish) and has progressively gotten worse.

#372 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

No, not trying to be funny.

I just never, ever, ever, feel sadness, sympathy, empathy..etc

It noticed it started a few years ago (7ish) and has progressively gotten worse.

Well they say you can only help those who wish to be helped .. we are fortunate to have access to excellent counseling services in Canada .. folks find "themselves" via a variety of medians from religion to spiritualism to drug therapy, and more ..

I stand accused of being "too sensitive" .. personally, it is the only way to be, in my eyes .. I wish you well .

#373 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

We are all susceptible to violence, no matter our profession .. but as children, we need to feel secure in order to thrive .. right now our Society seems much more focused on "what is good for ME" versus "what is good for us" .. we are nearing the bottom of a 30 year spiral of 'greed over need' .. there are so many variables at play but this single event may trigger an upsurge of "caring" ..

Words like this are often treated with contempt by those who lack empathy or an open mind .. sadly, they may never know what it feels like to truly 'love' someone else more than they 'love' themselves ..

You're absolutely right, T7. Once that baby is laid in your arms for the first time it's instant, all-consuming love and you would do anything to protect them including sacrificing your own life. To know that kind of love, even with another adult, means never being able to go back to the person you were before and it's a funny thing, that. It's virtually impossible to understand someone who doesn't feel that or can't feel that. You can read the textbook definitions and on some level have an inkling of what that means, but to actually feel it is something completely different.

We like to believe that when we send our children to school or daycare, that they are safe. All the 'regular' safety concerns are addressed for the most part, but to even imagine that your child could be slaughtered and gunned down sitting in their kindergarten class defies any definition of understanding. I think I need to stop here......I keep bouncing back and forth between feeling sick, rage, gratefulness that the children in my life are safe.........and disbelief that this could happen. I like to think I live in the real world, but what happened today in Newtown isn't something I ever want to be a possibility again in the world I live in.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 15 December 2012 - 12:03 AM.

#374 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

How do you feel about that? I'm not trying to play doctor here, but if you really are disgusted in yourself, if you really feel shame, then there's probably not a lot to worry about. It's maddening that these things happen and that there's nothing you can do about them. And if you're not responsible, and you couldn't have done anything to prevent it, how does it resonate? Sometimes, to be honest, it just doesn't. I'd suspect it's more shock than anything. I still remember how I felt, being 18 working in storeroom hearing about 9/11 as it was happening. Messed me up a bit, but I wasn't emotional about it. More confused, you know, trying to wrap my head around what it goddamn proves to kill a bunch of innocent people. I wasn't sad, or on the verge of it, and that was more confusing than anything. Because you know you should be, but at the same time, you're not in any danger. In the same way where you realize that, in the time it's taken you to read this, probably 20 kids died violently in Africa. If you let yourself be emotionally invested in every tragedy, you'll be out of craps to give within a year or two. Every once in a while something hits you where, instead of feeling the sadness you know you should, you just throw your hands up and go 'of goddamn course that''s what happened' and just drink into a whiskey neat muttering trash about people treating each other right.

tldr: if you feel bad about your confusion, don't feel bad. the kind of psychopathic disassociation that you'd worry about would preclude you from feeling bad for NOT feeling anything.

#375 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

And here is where I point out that guns make the task of killing people (especially multiple people) much simpler.

Zero steps forward, two steps back.. and this is where I point out that it isn't the gun's fault a lunatic decided to use it for the wrong purpose any more than it's a word's fault someone uses it wrongly. Amazing in the 21st century that logic still takes a back seat to reactionary.

Edited by zaibatsu, 15 December 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#376 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

---

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 15 December 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#377 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Thanks for that BB .. I know exactly what you mean .. I am logging from this thread for the night .. peace ..

#378 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for that BB .. I know exactly what you mean .. I am logging from this thread for the night .. peace ..

G'night T7, peace be to you....

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 15 December 2012 - 12:18 AM.

#379 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

The children are worth more than we are.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#380 CamTheCanuckFan

CamTheCanuckFan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

im not an emotional person but i teared up. like if it was your kid just imagin how the parents must feek. this is a tragity

seahd2.jpg

:towel: Thanks To VC For The Sig!  :towel:

#381 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Sickening.

All it would take to prevent this kind of thing happening again in the U.S. is to institute a police state.

And once again I find it strange that these kind of events happen so often now when civilian gun ownership is being targeted and not back when guns were a lot more readily obtainable, at least legally.

Actually it is the opposite. The gun laws in US have been more lax than before so we are seeing these type of situations.

Posted Image

#382 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

Well, an hour of "musical therapy" later, I offer this song called "Nothin'" as an antidote to feeling "lethargic about empathy" .. a simple song by a simple man who is too soon gone ..

Hold those you love close tonight, if only in your heart ..

#383 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,168 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

Well, an hour of "musical therapy" later, I offer this song called "Nothin'" as an antidote to feeling "lethargic about empathy" .. a simple song by a simple man who is too soon gone ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF_3w_gXing

Hold those you love close tonight, if only in your heart ..

reminded me of this:

#384 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

I can only imagine what ever kid in that school will have to live with the rest of their lives.
The teachers today were heros. How they handled that..amazing
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#385 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

I can only imagine what ever kid in that school will have to live with the rest of their lives.
The teachers today were heros. How they handled that..amazing

Agreed.

But if I were a parent in America today, I would be talking about home-schooling I guarantee that.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#386 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

This was posted earlier in the thread and seemed to go virtually unnoticed by everyone. I am leaving it in the link because frankly, the words posted in the picture are sickening.

this is whats wrong with these people
https://twitter.com/...8983298/photo/1

Edit: It appears that the image is no longer available. This is the direct quote from the screen cap of some online game:

Spoiler

There’s a reason there are so many problems in this world……..and the quoted post below illustrates why, very clearly. At a time when a horrific act shocked and disgusted us, made our hearts hurt, when an entire class of kindergartners were slaughtered in their classroom, people like the person below were posting and laughing at jokes made at the expense of dead children and adults, their families, first responders, the people around the world who felt empathy and hurt for those affected by what happened in Newtown.

“We only care because we saw it on TV” Really? How else would we have known about it if not for the news media? In days of yore, we would have found out via the newspaper. Would we have only cared then because it was in the newspaper? No, we care because we are human beings who can relate to the losses and have feelings. Something the user below and the person quoted in the link don’t have.

"You only care because it is convenient" Really? How little you know about the human condition, how normal and real people react to such tragedies. We far outnumber people like you which should give you a clue that perhaps there is something amiss with your being.

"Outrageous humour" - No sunshine, it's not humour at all, outrageous or otherwise., It's disgusting and appalling, that's all it is.

There is nothing even remotely amusing or humorous about what happened in Newtown yesterday. The fact that the user quoted below who writes paragraphs and paragraphs to try and justify his comments and reaction speaks volumes about the lack of soul and humanity. Nobody is ‘misunderstanding’ the humour......we understand that sort of sick behavior for exactly what it is. And society is in big trouble if this is the sort of 19 year olds the world will be left in the hands of.

To the user below…..all your justifications will never absolve you of the fact that you seem to find jokes about the murder of an entire class of 5 year olds amusing ……what the hell is wrong with you? Oh joy, you would never make a joke or repeat this to someone affected by this tragedy…..but the fact that you find it amusing at all speaks volumes about your character.

Okay boys lets clear up some crap.

OBVIOUSLY people dying isn't funny. Don't be an idiot.
What I found hilarious was the poor taste. The shooting was literally that day and he had the guts to make a joke about it.

Now you wanna say, "that kind of joke is offensive...." Oh I'm sorry. Where you there? Did a child you know die? Any family in Newton, Connecticut? No? Then how exactly were you affected? My sympathies go out to those that were affected because they are going through a tragedy. Nothing happened to you. You have nothing to cry about.

If you weren't there you only care because you saw it on TV. You only care because it is convenient. If it was never aired you would have never known. Showing sympathy to others is okay. It is normal, shows you have a soul. But you shouldn't be sensitive to/about something that doesn't affect you or anyone you know.

For all those, "I care about everyone" people. bull. You care about things that are popular to care about. I bet you rode the Kony bandwagon too. The fact is there are so many tragedies everyday in countries all over the world and you don't ever hear about it. A) because it's not in Canada and B ) it is not in the US. You never even knew Newton, Connecticut was a town until it happened. You probably heard it on the news and thought. "Awwee thats soo sad." *Text Recieved* "Wanna go grab some food?" and off you went. Didn't interrupt your day for more than 5 minutes. If you really cared you would have donated some money to help or gone the extra mile in another way.

Now you wanna say, "you still shouldn't joke about it. It's not funny". If you still think the joke is a direct stab at people dying you are completely misunderstanding the humor. No one really finds death funny. But the fact that he said it so soon is outrageous. This is a style of humor that is meant to catch you of guard. It is funny because you didn't seee it coming. Literally like every Family Guy joke. Like Peter fighting that chicken? Not funny. But when it comes out of no where and kills 5 minutes you laugh because you didn't see it coming.

Lastly, obviously no one would ever say a joke like this to a person who was affected by this tragedy. That is like making a holocaust joke to an older jew. But saying it to someone completely unaffected is what classifies it as simply outrageous humor.
If we were simply laughing because people were dying then yes. I understand how this would be "disgusting". But we are not. Don't be so stupid and close minded. Open you eyes and use some perspective. It didn't affect you, stop acting like it did.

I can't even articulate the level of my disgust with this post.........but it clearly shows why the world is in the state it is.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 15 December 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#387 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I have to give Bertuzzi Babe a tonne of credit to be able to articulate those points in such a succinct and calm manner.

I could never do that. Reading crap like that being spewed by someone that shows total disrespect to innocent children irritates me to no end.
I do care about those children. How dare anyone say I don't?!
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#388 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

I have to give Bertuzzi Babe a tonne of credit to be able to articulate those points in such a succinct and calm manner.

I could never do that. Reading crap like that being spewed by someone that shows total disrespect to innocent children irritates me to no end.
I do care about those children. How dare anyone say I don't?!

Astutely put, BB .. I ran out of +'s .. even a short nights sleep has failed to reduce my heartache over this .. feeling is a part of healing .. I am just thankful I can feel for my fellow man .. the pain is worth the reward ..

#389 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Connection with other human beings is the essence of what we are as a species. I reflect over my life so far and the most memorable (good and bad) times is when I've had a close connection with someone else or in other circumstances lost that connection (e.g. death in the family). That's where my thoughts are with this tragic event. The parents who lost their children. The siblings who lost their brothers and sisters.

#390 Electro Rock

Electro Rock

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Actually it is the opposite. The gun laws in US have been more lax than before so we are seeing these type of situations.

Not so much, its true that carry permits and the like were allowed in far fewer places, but before the '70s few people who weren't black or brown got in trouble for not having one.

Meanwhile, you had kids bringing guns to school, sometimes to shoot at the school shooting range, and noone batting an eyel, that was the case even here in Canada.

My uncle bought a bunch of guns one day to show and tell at Hastings Elementary here in Vancouver...

Also legal automatic weapons were far more accessable back then, again even here in Canada.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."

Norman Thomas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.