842 replies to this topic

#481 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

I think I've read otherwise somewhere today. Perhaps in that article. Do you have any info to back that up because I couldn't find anything? I thought in the article they had mentioned that there was a "boom" in weapons for a short period but their were heavy regulations around who could own them. (higher ranking military iirc or maybe I'm thinking isreal. Meh isreal...switzerland...practically the same place.)If they were 4th in guns do you know what they were in gun related violence? I'd like to read what their regulations and education around guns and gun control are.

not sure where they rank in gun violence but i heard for murder or attempted muder with a firearm it's somewhere around 1 per 250,000 residents yearly, that sounds pretty low

#482 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

For me, it's as much about the state of mind of a nation who practices gun control as it is about regulating guns.

If I got you right I agree and there would have to be multiple things done to come to any sort of a solution. (for lack of a better term)

If they just say" no guns" or "no guns for these people" it won't work. There needs to be education and a lot of it from multiple sources.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#483 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

not sure where they rank in gun violence but i heard for murder or attempted muder with a firearm it's somewhere around 1 per 250,000 residents yearly, that sounds pretty low

Yeah that does seem really low which is great but knowing what we know now about their regulations I still wonder about how it's gotten to this or how long it's been like this. They have a lot of guns (or had) but do you know what their regulations were at that time?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#484 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yeah that does seem really low which is great but knowing what we know now about their regulations I still wonder about how it's gotten to this or how long it's been like this. They have a lot of guns (or had) but do you know what their regulations were at that time?

http://en.wikipedia...._in_Switzerland

#485 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

http://en.wikipedia...._in_Switzerland

I wonder how much the military training and education around weapons plays a part?

Also there are strict regulations about being able to "carry".
-Over 18, Psychiatrically sound, No criminal record, no automatic or selective fire weapons, plus a bunch of other parameters.

So even though there is/was a high volume of runs the education is generally of a military level and the regulations for ownership is extensive.

That would answer the question of how they can remain with such low gun related violence. Perhaps this is something others should adopt. Sadly though the whole "conscripted into the military" thing might see some backlash. ;)

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 15 December 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#486 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

What regulation would have prevented this?

It looks like existing regulation prevented the guy from buying a gun, but there is no all-encompassing control you can reasonably implement in the real world that would have prevented this guy from attaining a gun or other weapon and using it on people.

In light of that, there needs to be a discussion of prevention in other areas as to what could have been done, signs perhaps of mental instability, depression, prior intent.. ways to better spot someone that might commit such acts.. rather than just jumping to guns and on the typical gun control / gun ban solves our problems gimmick.

I want to know if you felt the same way if god forbid your child was the victim or your loved ones. Would you be saying the same thing? Its not even safe to walk in some of the streets in US because any idiot could shoot you up randomly. You can't even go out an play basketball in some of the neighborhoods because of drive-by shootings. Shootings can not only be due to psychological reasons, it could also be due to conflicts and gang wars where innocent bystanders get hit. The fact of the matter is that if America has laws against use of drugs, they should also have stricter laws on guns because both are the same as far as am concerned (in fact more people probably get killed by guns than drugs).

Edited by Pouria, 15 December 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Posted Image

#487 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

20 children, 6 or 7 years old........6 adult............

20 year with 5 Weapons.......high power rifle

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#488 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

20 children, 6 or 7 years old........6 adult............

20 year with 5 Weapons.......high power rifle

Ridiculous, huh. There's no need for handguns and automatic weapons unless you're in law enforcement or going to war. America's gun control and the violence they cause got out of control long ago. Obviously the key is to prevent these issues in the first place; don't wait for disaster to strike and things to get out of hand. It's going to be a monumental hill to climb to fix the problem, if it even is a fixable problem. I'm not an expert on the issue but it seems like every time there is a massacre of innocent people in America, the story is in the headlines for a few days, tears are shed, hugs are given, politicians talk about it briefly and that's it --- back under the rug the gun issue goes and ultimately nobody does anything about it.
Posted Image

#489 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Ridiculous, huh. There's no need for handguns and automatic weapons unless you're in law enforcement or going to war. America's gun control and the violence they cause got out of control long ago. Obviously the key is to prevent these issues in the first place; don't wait for disaster to strike and things to get out of hand. It's going to be a monumental hill to climb to fix the problem, if it even is a fixable problem. I'm not an expert on the issue but it seems like every time there is a massacre of innocent people in America, the story is in the headlines for a few days, tears are shed, hugs are given, politicians talk about it briefly and that's it --- back under the rug the gun issue goes and ultimately nobody does anything about it.

According to the US Supreme Court there is a constitutional right to have a handgun for lawful purposes, that includes self defence.

The total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of arms that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense. This prohibition would fail constitutional muster under any standard of scrutiny. Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is therefore unconstitutional.

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#490 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#491 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

maybe it time for the US constitution to be amend and redefine the right to a weapon..........yes it would be very complicated and hard but I think we know this is possible......both congress and senate need to agree plus majority of the state........but it should not be the only thing........registration don't work..........

the real question is why the mother have 5 weapons.........they should be kept under lock and key away from the shooter or hidden....did the mom try to send him somewhere for help?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#492 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

Karachi, Pakistan.

Posted Image

#493 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

The White House announced on Saturday that President Obama would travel to Newtown, CT Sunday and meet with the families of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shootings along with first responders.

The detestable Westboro Baptist Church has announced via Twitter it will be on site to picket as they have at funerals for Armed Services personnel in the past.

Westboro Baptist Church announced via Twitter that they will travel to Newtown, Connecticut to picket the site of the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre.

Westboro’s announcement, made by Margie Phelps and Shirley Phelps-Roper, adds that the church will “sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgement.”

The announcement by the controversial church from Topeka, Kansas comes less than one day after 27 people were killed in a mass murder perpetuated by suspected shooter Adam Lanza. Twenty children lost their lives in the massacre.

The tweets put out by Sandy and Margie were met with several outcries. One user, @GoGetMyCoffee, responded by saying, “You are one of the most disgusting people on Earth,@DearShirley. I wish it was you and your hate group instead of those beautiful children.”

http://www.inquisitr...d-for-shooting/

Anonymous renewed its attacks on Westboro Baptist Church following the announcement of the intention to picket.

The hacking collective known as Anonymous renewed their war on the Westboro Baptist Church today. After the haters from the infamous church posted their intentions to picket the funerals of the twenty children killed in the shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, Anonymous responded by re-posting the personal and professional information for members of the church on the Internet. Now the general public can contact the church members directly and tell them what they think about people who would desecrate the funerals of murdered children.

Westboro Baptist Church has been irritating Americans for years with venom filled message about their demented version of God. According to the many closely related and intermarried members of the Phelps family who make up the majority of the congregation of the so-called church, God enjoys killing children and soldiers. They constantly proclaim God hates homosexuals and plans to destroy America for not following the Westboro Baptist Church’s twisted version of Christianity. The incredible obsession with homosexuality expressed by Fred and family seems to many as a sure fire case of “thou dost protest too much.”

Anonymous has been after the Westboro Baptist Church for several months now, hacking their websites repeatedly. Recently, they accused the church of creating a fake letter from the hacking group in order to trick other hackers into attacking the website. Anonymous warned their supporters the church planned to harvest internet addresses and sue people. Suing people is apparently the primary activity of the Westboro Baptist Church when they aren’t screaming hate at funerals.

Of course, Westboro denied the charges and taunted Anonymous as incompetent hackers. They claimed their website was protected by God. Big mistake. A few days later, while a Westboro spokeswoman was boasting about how the church foiled Anonymous on a radio talk show, an Anonymous spokesman called in and hacked the church’s website in real time on the air.

Hopefully saner heads will prevail and nothing terrible will occur if the Westboro Baptist Church shows up in Newtown, Connecticut. The State Police made the extraordinary decision to assign a trooper to each of the victim’s families to prevent unwelcome idiots from tormenting them and to protect their privacy.

It is hard to imagine what kind of person would attend the funerals for these children and promote the hate filled message of the Phelps family and their followers. While we certainly do not condone illegal activity, it is hard not to root for Anonymous as they take it to these sad, pathetic excuses for human beings from the Westboro Baptist Church. If the Church’s website is offline forever, it wouldn’t be a moment too soon for most Americans.

http://www.inquisitr...F68BsYIBbsLM.99

#494 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

The Westboro Baptist Church clams that the shootings are God's punishment for the state of Connecticut legalizing same sex marriage.
http://www.gaystarne...ting-site161212

And another far right anti-gay nutbar, American Family Association's Bryan Fischer says legalizing gay marriage is proof of 'sacrificing the well-being of children'.

A far right-wing anti-gay pundit has said 20 young schoolchildren died because God is ‘no longer welcome’ in the classroom.

Referring to the tragic event in Connecticut on Friday (14 December), American Family Association spokesman Bryan Fischer said it could have been prevented if a prayer for ‘Christian values’ started each school day.

Speaking on his radio show Focal Point, Fischer said: ‘You know the question is going to come up, “where was God? I thought God cared about the little children. Where was God when all this went down?”

‘Here’s the bottom line: God is not going to go where he’s not wanted.’

He said for 50 years ‘liberals’ have been telling ‘God to get lost’ and ‘out of our public school system’.

‘I think God would say to us, “Hey, I’ll be glad to protect your children but you got to invite me back into your world first. I’m not going to go where I’m not wanted. I am a gentleman”,’ Fischer said.

‘Back when we had prayer, the Bible and the Ten Commandments in schools, we did not need guns.’

Fellow right-wing pundit Mike Huckabee agreed, asking on Fox News whether it is a ‘surprise’ when carnage in schools happens when you do not arm children with ‘God’s words’.

On Twitter today (15 December), Fischer compared the incident with gay marriage, as Connecticut is one of nine states to legalize equality for same-sex couples.

‘To say the state should not define marriage is to sacrifice the well-being of children. Can't let that happen w/o a fight,’ he said.

http://www.gaystarne...ce-god’151212

#495 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

Of course, Westboro denied the charges and taunted Anonymous as incompetent hackers. They claimed their website was protected by God. Big mistake. A few days later, while a Westboro spokeswoman was boasting about how the church foiled Anonymous on a radio talk show, an Anonymous spokesman called in and hacked the church’s website in real time on the

I need that sound byte.

The Westboro Baptist Church never ceases to amaze me. It'll be a glorious day when Fred Phelps' funeral is ???? picketed.

I hope this is a funeral the American people do not allow these asshats to picket. ???? monsters.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#496 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,787 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

I need that sound byte.

The Westboro Baptist Church never ceases to amaze me. It'll be a glorious day when Fred Phelps' funeral is ???? picketed.

I hope this is a funeral the American people do not allow these asshats to picket. ???? monsters.

I wonder how many CDC wing-nuts secretly wear their Westboro Baptist Church Fundamentalist pajamas to bed, clutching the Gideon they borrowed from Super 8??

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#497 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

I wonder how many CDC wing-nuts secretly wear their Westboro Baptist Church Fundamentalist pajamas to bed, clutching the Gideon they borrowed from Super 8??

Ah cmon TL....even as bat**** nuts as some of the CDCers are I'd really be surprised if they were THAT ignorant...Westboro Baptist Church is Jim Jones-level bonkers...lol A good swift kick in the nuts and a large dose of reality is what they need.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#498 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,915 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Those morons should be thrown in jail for public or disorderly disturbance or something if their back woods red neck map reading skills and Partridge family bus gets them there.

When it comes to children, zero tolerance to hatred directed toward them. The Westboro Bastard Cult people are really pushing all boundaries with their hate crimes. And yes, that's what I consider them. There is no room on this Earth for creatures of their hate mongering kind.

Posted Image

#499 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

According to the US Supreme Court there is a constitutional right to have a handgun for lawful purposes, that includes self defence.

The total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of arms that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense. This prohibition would fail constitutional muster under any standard of scrutiny. Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is therefore unconstitutional.

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Maybe it's time for Constitutional reform, then?

The US Constitution is a 223 year old document which was drawn up when times were very different in an embryonic nation. The US is no longer in need of a clause in its Constitutution that speaks of Militia. They have one of the largest militaries in the world to protect its peoples.

Furthermore, just because the Second Amendment gives the right to possess a firearm to its citizens for sustinence and self defence doesn't mean that people have to choose to. For some reason, there is almost 1 gun per American out on the streets... approximately 300 million guns for 311 million citizens!

It is the mentality of Americans that needs to change in tandem with more strict gun control. Why did our shooter's mother need to possess 5 guns in her home? What? One for each appendage plus one concealed? This was a choice she made because the law allows her to make it. My mom owns no handguns or weapons, unless you can count her knitting needles, crochet hooks and loaded pincushion as weapons. She is 78 and has never needed to protect herself, luckily, from an intruder. Why? Because in Canada, we don't need 35 million guns for 35 million people. We are allowed to own guns but we choose not to, en masse, because that is how our culture operates. American Culture is very different even though we are separated only by an invisible line in the sand numbered 49.

Education around and control of weapons is what Obama needs to work towards. Maybe have a voluntary, nationwide Turn-in-your-guns Day. That way, people have the democratic right to freely choose whether or not to turn in their weapons. How many would? Not many, I would suspect. This would show us that the Wild West attitude of the American people is still alive, from coast to coast, in today's America. Sad.

You would think it would be a fairly simple task to eliminate The Second Amendment from the American Constitution. It has been amended 27 times since it's inception. One more would only help. Unfortunately, the American people, I don't think, would allow it based on their culture and mindset. Again, sad.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#500 Hockey!?

Hockey!?

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

I need that sound byte.

Not to take away from the topic of this thread but the interview was recorded, you can watch it here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#501 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

The US Constitution is a 223 year old document which was drawn up when times were very different in an embryonic nation. The US is no longer in need of a clause in its Constitutution that speaks of Militia. They have one of the largest militaries in the world to protect its peoples.

Furthermore, just because the Second Amendment gives the right to possess a firearm to its citizens for sustinence and self defence doesn't mean that people have to choose to. For some reason, there is almost 1 gun per American out on the streets... approximately 300 million guns for 311 million citizens!

It is the mentality of Americans that needs to change in tandem with more strict gun control. Why did our shooter's mother need to possess 5 guns in her home? What? One for each appendage plus one concealed? This was a choice she made because the law allows her to make it. My mom owns no handguns or weapons, unless you can count her knitting needles, crochet hooks and loaded pincushion as weapons. She is 78 and has never needed to protect herself, luckily, from an intruder. Why? Because in Canada, we don't need 35 million guns for 35 million people. We are allowed to own guns but we choose not to, en masse, because that is how our culture operates. American Culture is very different even though we are separated only by an invisible line in the sand numbered 49.

Education around and control of weapons is what Obama needs to work towards. Maybe have a voluntary, nationwide Turn-in-your-guns Day. That way, people have the democratic right to freely choose whether or not to turn in their weapons. How many would? Not many, I would suspect. This would show us that the Wild West attitude of the American people is still alive, from coast to coast, in today's America. Sad.

You would think it would be a fairly simple task to eliminate The Second Amendment from the American Constitution. It has been amended 27 times since it's inception. One more would only help. Unfortunately, the American people, I don't think, would allow it based on their culture and mindset. Again, sad.

Good luck with that. :lol:

Times like this, I appreciate the wisdom of a beautiful woman who had far more intelligence and appreciation for the second amendment than most here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

Edited by zaibatsu, 16 December 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#502 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Given the entrenched gun culture and the powerful gun lobby in the US the chances of amending the Second Amendment would be slim and none and slim has long since left the building.

#503 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,944 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Why can't they just ban these automatic weapons but not others?

#504 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

No...they wouldn't allow it based on complacency and "tradition"....after all...in the southern states the motto is and always has been, Guns and God...and even though there have been amendments added to the Us Constitution, hardly ever has there been a case of one being eliminated...it isn't going to happen.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#505 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

I heard he shot his mom before going to the school.

WTF is wrong with people??????

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#506 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Why can't they just ban these automatic weapons but not others?

They can and have.. it expired like 8 years ago and was not renewed. Studies released at that time showed no reason to.

The federal assault weapon ban did not stop mass murders with those weapons. The Columbine kids that killed people proved that.

I don't know in how many ways shapes or forms it needs to be pointed out and shown that weapon bans won't prevent murders in the US or prevent people from attaining these weapons.. but the one thing people are good at is believing something if they repeat it enough -- in this case, that banning guns or (lol..) removing the second amendment will suddenly make murderers stop being murderers.. :lol:

Edited by zaibatsu, 16 December 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#507 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

I heard he shot his mom before going to the school.

WTF is wrong with people??????

It would seem in this case as with many others it involves a person who is mentally ill.

#508 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

The gun lobby in the US is loudly screeching about how the gun control forces are trying to "politicize" this tragedy and that this is not the time.

Both Ezra Klein (from the left) and David Frum (from the right) trashed that argument in the wake of this shooting - talk about strange bedfellows, eh?.

Per Klein in his blog at the Washington Post (Twelve facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States) in which he lays out data and statistics relating to these sorts of shootings:

When we first collected much of this data, it was after the Aurora, Colo. shootings, and the air was thick with calls to avoid “politicizing” the tragedy. That is code, essentially, for “don’t talk about reforming our gun control laws.”

Let’s be clear: That is a form of politicization. When political actors construct a political argument that threatens political consequences if other political actors pursue a certain political outcome, that is, almost by definition, a politicization of the issue. It’s just a form of politicization favoring those who prefer the status quo to stricter gun control laws.

Since then, there have been more horrible, high-profile shootings. Jovan Belcher, a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs, took his girlfriend’s life and then his own. In Oregon, Jacob Tyler Roberts entered a mall holding a semi-automatic rifle and yelling “I am the shooter.” And, in Connecticut, at least 27 are dead — including 18 children — after a man opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

If roads were collapsing all across the United States, killing dozens of drivers, we would surely see that as a moment to talk about what we could do to keep roads from collapsing. If terrorists were detonating bombs in port after port, you can be sure Congress would be working to upgrade the nation’s security measures. If a plague was ripping through communities, public-health officials would be working feverishly to contain it.

Only with gun violence do we respond to repeated tragedies by saying that mourning is acceptable but discussing how to prevent more tragedies is not. “Too soon,” howl supporters of loose gun laws. But as others have observed, talking about how to stop mass shootings in the aftermath of a string of mass shootings isn’t “too soon.” It’s much too late.

What follows here isn’t a policy agenda. It’s simply a set of facts — many of which complicate a search for easy answers — that should inform the discussion that we desperately need to have.

http://www.washingto...-united-states/

And David Frum wrote a column titled "Every Day is the Day to Talk About Gun Control" on the attempt by the pro-gun lobby to shut down debate on gun control in the wake of this horrific event.

A permissive gun regime is not the only reason that the United States suffers so many atrocities like the one in Connecticut. An inadequate mental health system is surely at least as important a part of the answer, as are half a dozen other factors arising from some of the deepest wellsprings of American culture.

Nor can anybody promise that more rational gun laws would prevent each and every mass murder in this country. Gun killings do occur even in countries that restrict guns with maximum severity.

But we can say that if the United States worked harder to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, there would be many, many fewer atrocities like the one in Connecticut.

And I'll say: I'll accept no lectures about "sensitivity" on days of tragedy like today from people who work the other 364 days of the year against any attempt to prevent such tragedies.

It's bad enough to have a gun lobby. It's the last straw when that lobby also sets up itself as the civility police. It may not be politically possible to do anything about the prevalence of weapons of mass murder. But it damn well ought to be possible to complain about them - and about the people who condone them.

http://www.thedailyb...un-control.html

#509 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,925 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

They can and have.. it expired like 8 years ago and was not renewed. Studies released at that time showed no reason to.

The federal assault weapon ban did not stop mass murders with those weapons. The Columbine kids that killed people proved that.

I don't know in how many ways shapes or forms it needs to be pointed out and shown that weapon bans won't prevent murders in the US or prevent people from attaining these weapons.. but the one thing people are good at is believing something if they repeat it enough -- in this case, that banning guns or (lol..) removing the second amendment will suddenly make murderers stop being murderers.. :lol:

every other 1st world country in the world who practices gun control disagrees.

#510 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,611 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Connecticut church near shooting site evacuated after bomb threat:

(Reuters) - A Roman Catholic church in Newtown, Connecticut was evacuated on Sunday after a bomb threat was reported by officials during services at the church, which is roughly a mile from the site of Friday's school shooting where 20 children were killed.

State troopers, police and ambulances were on the scene at St. Rose of Lima Catholic church, according to a Reuters eyewitness.

http://www.reuters.c...E8BF0E620121216

307mg00.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.