842 replies to this topic

#31 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hits home a lot harder now that I have a baby boy. I'm sure anyone else with kids will say the same. My wife's bawling her eyes out right now, pretty disturbing crap.

Blame gun control, mental health awareness, etc... doesn't matter. It's a sad and cruel reality that there are pointless human beings on this planet. I'm not gonna argue, just feel for the parents/family of the victims.
FearandLoathingSig.jpg

#32 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Does Connecticut have the death penalty?

No. It was repealed earlier this year.
Posted Image

#33 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

News conference over. No details released until all proper notifications are made. No confirmation of anything but an absolutely terrible tragedy.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#34 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

The NRA will NOT want to talk about this .. they never do when guns are used in such a horrific manner .. they spew their credo that guns don't kill people, that people do .. WRONG .. bullets kill people .. 2nd Amendment guarantee's the right to bear arms but it does not guarantee the right to limitless clips and the bullets within .. what a sad, sad day ..

Too many of these incidents involving kids seem to happen around Christmas .. I wonder why? .. because tho it is the season to be jolly, it is also a very depressing time for many people ..

18 children and 8 adults dead .. one shooter dead, apparently ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 14 December 2012 - 11:49 AM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#35 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

The latest:

At least 27 people, including 18 children, were killed on Friday when at least one shooter opened fire at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, CBS News reported, citing unnamed officials.

The shooter, the father of a student there, was also killed, CBS News reported. The principal and school psychologist at Sandy Hook Elementary School were among the dead, CNN said.

A law enforcement official says the attacker is a 20-year-old man with ties to the Connecticut school.

The official said that a gun used in the attacks is a .223-calibre rifle. The official also said that New Jersey state police are searching a location in that state in connection with the shooting.

The official in Washington spoke on the condition of anonymity because the source was not authorized to speak on the record about the developing criminal investigation.

There were unconfirmed reports of a second shooter after witnesses reported hearing dozens of shots fired.

An entire classroom of students is unaccounted for following the shooting, a local newspaper reported. The Hartford Courant, citing unnamed sources, said that many of the shootings took place in a kindergarten classroom at the Sandy Hook.

Sandy Hook teaches children from kindergarten through fourth grade — roughly ages 5 to 10.

“It was horrendous,” said parent Brenda Lebinski, who rushed to the school where her daughter is in the third grade. “Everyone was in hysterics — parents, students. There were kids coming out of the school bloodied. I don't know if they were shot, but they were bloodied.”

Television images showed police and ambulances at the scene, and parents rushing toward the school. Parents were seen reuniting with their children and taking them home.

http://www.thestar.c...ckdown-in-place

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#36 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

No. It was repealed earlier this year.

Good, the b*stard doesn't deserve to die, that's the easy way out.

I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but I think given the circumstances, this pr*ck needs to be old school prison camp tortured left chained up publicly in the city center.

RIP to all the victims.

Edit: Crap, he is already dead

Edited by InTheCrease, 14 December 2012 - 11:57 AM.

“I played for the Leafs for three years, I’m used to the booing so it won’t affect me” - Kyle Wellwood

#37 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,477 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yes. Parents, video games, society, Christmas gloom... Everything but the free availability of guns will be blamed here again.

18 kids aged 5-10 dead. That won't be enough for 'Merica to look at gun control. Instead they'll boost security for elem. schools for the time being.

'Land of the free.' Sortof. You can acquire guns relatively freely, but will have a hard time getting in and out of school.
Posted Image

#38 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

POPULAR

Tuned in to this on the news this morning and just feel sick. :( The kind of sick that makes you question things. Like the innocence and joy of children and the monsters that lurk in every facet of our society.

I understand the existence of mental illness, but I will never, EVER understand (and don't want to) the depravity and evil that some have inside them that prompts them to walk into a school full of children and open fire at will. Just bloody off yourself already if you have no desire to live in this world but to end the lives of innocent children and destroy the lives of countless family members who have had absolutely no relation to you and your sickness defies any sort of understanding or compassion.

My compassion and prayers go out to the families of the victims of this tragedy, the adults who were there because they love children.......and the families of the children who won't be coming home today, or ever....., the survivors of this dreadful morning whose lives have been altered forever, the first responders who must enter the carnage and find the wee bodies of those who left for school this morning excited for the day, for Santa coming.....the celebrations going on in schools all over world this week.........

Yeah, Merry ****ing Christmas, y'all.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 12:10 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#39 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,631 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Re: The second "shooter", I've seen this or something similar on two news sites now:

"Police are also questioning another man in connection with the shooting. Witnesses told the Connecticut Post that a handcuffed man, dressed in camouflage, was led out of a nearby woods by officers. "
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#40 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Tuned in to this on the news this morning and just feel sick. :( The kind of sick that makes you question things. Like the innocence and joy of children and the monsters that lurk in every facet of our society.

I understand the existence of mental illness, but I will never, EVER understand (and don't want to) the depravity and evil that some have inside them that prompts them to walk into a school full of children and open fire at will. Just bloody off yourself already if you have no desire to live in this world but to end the lives of innocent children and destroy the lives of countless family members who have had absolutely no relation to you and your sickness defies any sort of understanding or compassion.

My compassion and prayers go out to the families of these children, the survivors of this dreadful morning, the first responders who must enter the carnage and find the wee bodies of those who left for school this morning excited for the day, for Santa coming.....the celebrations going on in schools all over world this week.........

Yeah, Merry ****ing Christmas, y'all.

The tears running down my cheeks echo a massive sadness that will not soon go away .. heartbreaking ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#41 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

I hate to be a detail bitch, but, nothing has been "confirmed" yet. I am watching this on multiple channels and, until the police officials have spoken with details, nothing has been confirmed. There are all sorts of different details on the TV.

RIP, kiddos.

I've been watching it on CNN and although the source confirmation may not be accurate, but neither is the quote. it's "around 20" for that exact reason, there won't be any confirmations for another couple hours.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#42 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,654 posts

That is absolutely devastating. An Elementary school for crap's sake. Why?! What have those kids and teachers done to anyone?! I just can't imagine that while I was out getting in an early morning tennis session, there were kids being shot and killed for no reason in a part of the world that is not too far from us. We are all linked because the world is a small place. It hurts to hear stuff like this.

This incident will no doubt bring up the gun control debate, as it should, but I think that the only real thing to do right now is to pray. And if you don't believe in prayer, just think of the victims. It's all we can do. Think of them, pray for them, and hope that they make it through this.

RIP
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#43 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

somebody please tell me why this always happen in USA?

USA is so worried about "send the power of freedom" to other countries, invade or supply with more and more weapons who needs weapons. use the most advanced equipments and weapons to take the control of whatever they want...

but, buy a gun is very, very easy. you can buy one at Wallmart! and it´s so easy to get a license! they don´t check your behaviour, they don´t do any psychiatric assessment or any other test. you just need be American and over 18...

a nice and decent person will use a gun only to self protection or to protect some inocent person from any attack...

a maniac will use a gun to do any S#%$%¨that comes to his mind...

perhaps its time to change these rules...
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#44 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

The tears running down my cheeks echo a massive sadness that will not soon go away .. heartbreaking ..

I agree, C....I'm absolutely gutted.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#45 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,477 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Posted Image

Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle, the type used by Muhammad & Malvo, the shooters involved in Washington shooting spree.

Going huntin?
Posted Image

#46 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

POPULAR

Hits home a lot harder now that I have a baby boy. I'm sure anyone else with kids will say the same. My wife's bawling her eyes out right now, pretty disturbing crap.

Yep. Amazing how our new life begins when we become parents. It is a whole new world for us too.

Can't comment on stuff like this.
Too painful.
Will just hug my kids a little tighter tonight.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#47 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,479 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Can't believe this happened. And to think it was an elementary school just makes this person more than f'd in the head. Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 14 December 2012 - 12:06 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#48 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Posted Image

Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle, the type used by Muhammad & Malvo, the shooters involved in Washington shooting spree.

Going huntin?

No reason for any civilian to ever own a gun like that, yet a quick search shows that you can buy them at U.S. Wal-Marts for the low low price of $500.

The gun, according to Eric Haney, a retired U.S. Army sergeant major, is "for those who want the general feel of a military weapon."

Edited by Jägermeister, 14 December 2012 - 12:10 PM.

Posted Image

#49 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'm willing to bet we'll still hear people there going on about the "right to bear arms" after today.

You shouldn't have that right. No ordinary civilian should have the right to own a weapon capable of causing this much destruction. That sort of weapon belongs in the military and should stay there.

#50 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

here's his facebook: https://www.facebook.../rlanza?fref=ts
odd. of the pictures I can see he would appear harmless on first glimpse.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#51 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Facebook took the page down.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,631 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Friends 125....

....not anymore....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#53 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,477 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

The civilian rifle ownership laws should be simple. Just sound it out.

Boom. Reload. Click-clack. Aim. Boom: Allowed.

'Ratatatatatatatatatatat': No way in hell.

'Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.': Currently allowed. But why? Are you providing supressing fire while your hunter buddies are flanking to the right of the moose ahead?

The justification by gun companies like Bushmaster is paper-thin. The 223 is basically a slightly toned-down version of the M-16. Apparently you need that in case a neighborhood dog turns on you. M'kay...
Posted Image

#54 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

:sadno: So freaking sad... I just hope for the families sake that questions will be answered on why their child was killed in such cold blood and for no reason.

I just pray that this shooting didn't happen because of the one a few days ago... and that this one won't spark an even worse one. This is going to keep happening until America gives it's heads a shake.

My Thoughts go out to those who have been affected by this horrible act. :(

Posted Image

#55 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,477 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

And this is the rifle used today.

Looks familiar...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,631 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

I'm willing to bet we'll still hear people there going on about the "right to bear arms" after today.

You shouldn't have that right. No ordinary civilian should have the right to own a weapon capable of causing this much destruction. That sort of weapon belongs in the military and should stay there.

It's already happening.

In the "comments" section of the Sky News website, there are posts trumpeting the same old tired, ridiculous lines: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people", "lots of people have guns and they don't go around shooting up schools", "a gun isn't dangerous until it's in the hands of a person"...etc., etc...

It's baffling how people can't see the correlation between a gun-happy country and leading the universe in mass shootings.

#57 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

It's already happening.

In the "comments" section of the Sky News website, there are posts trumpeting the same old tired, ridiculous lines: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people", "lots of people have guns and they don't go around shooting up schools", "a gun isn't dangerous until it's in the hands of a person"...etc., etc...

It's baffling how people can't see the correlation between a gun-happy country and leading the universe in mass shootings.

It's ridiculous. You'll see more people over there blaming the fact that he played Mass Effect than calling for improved gun laws.

#58 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

It's already happening.

As I noted in another thread, people with these sort of views/beliefs seldom let facts and statistics intrude upon their world view.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#59 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

It's ridiculous. You'll see more people over there blaming the fact that he played Mass Effect than calling for improved gun laws.

No US constitutional right to keep and bear virtual weapons?

#60 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

What the hell is wrong with people.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.