842 replies to this topic

#751 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Oh man.....the beginning of The Voice tonight...... Hallelujah as sung by Adam Levine, Cee Lo Green, Christina Aguilera and Blake Shelton with the entire season's contestants singing back up and holding cards inscribed with the names and ages of those killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School..........

Difficult to type......

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 17 December 2012 - 09:10 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#752 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Oh man.....the beginning of The Voice tonight...... Hallelujah as sung by Adam Levine, Cee Lo Green, Christina Aguilera and Blake Shelton with the entire season's contestants singing back up and holding cards inscribed with the names and ages of those killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School..........

Difficult to type......

I am so sorry I missed that .. I posted kd doing Hallelujah earlier as part of the healing process .. but all day I have been seeing the details on these children being shared .. these children are all of our children .. they could be any of our kids, or grand-kids, or nieces or nephews .. beautiful and loving children ..
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#753 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ok jokers, 'xplain me why if, guns are so easy to get in the U.S., and the borders are so porous, why hasn't the Derka Derka crew (aside from maybe the homegrown Washington sniper) been able to pull off either a massed or serial sniper shooting? Are the guys who are going up against tac air and main battle tanks, like, afraid or something? Or is that public place security is so much more efficient against terrorists than lone crazies?

The "Derka Derka" crew are too busy fighting the US invaders. Besides, how is it practical to fly 14 hours to US with a 747 just to shoot up an elementary school? They are too lazy to walk up to an elementary school and shoot up 20 kids with a gun when they could just hijack a plane and kill 3000 people.

Edited by Pouria, 17 December 2012 - 09:18 PM.

Posted Image

#754 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,585 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

posted on another discussion board.......for all my colleagues in the teaching profession

Good response to Newtown tragedy: Thank your kid's teacher. You may not like her, but she'd take a bullet for your child.\

I cried this morning. I was at church, and the choir was singing Silent Night. No fancy arrangement, just a straight-up version of a carol I’ve known as long as I’ve known anything. As the choir sang, I had visions of what must have gone on inside Sandy Hook Elementary School. Even those inside probably will never know everything that went on. But I know this: A half dozen teachers died protecting their students. The teachers who lived were equally brave. I was particularly moved by the words of one who gathered her class in the designated safe area and read to them, because she didn’t want gunshots to be the last thing they heard.

We always seem to be starved for heroes, as if we weren’t surrounded by them. They don’t all carry guns or wear uniforms. Many of them teach our kids. They put up with low wages, sassy kids, lack of disciplinary support and helicopter parents. They make sure the little darlings get their meds on time. They plan and schedule conferences with parents who fail to show. They reach into their own purses for a kid whose parents forgot to send lunch money. I’ll never forget the sixth grade teacher who reached out when my mother died. Inviting me to attend an auto show with her and her fiance probably didn’t seem like a big deal to her, but it has stayed with me for a lifetime.

We bitch about our kids’ teachers, and at them. And I know they’re not all saints. But I’ve known a lot of teachers in my life. I married one and raised another. And I’ve never known one who wouldn’t step between a gunman and the brattiest of her kids.
In the wake of a tragedy like the one in Newtown, we desperately want to do something. But there’s nothing we can do for the victims and their families. It’s a wealthy community, and there was no destruction of homes and buildings (just of lives and families). They don’t need our money. All we can offer is our prayers and moral support.

But we need to do more -- not for them, but for ourselves. So here’s my suggestion: Do something nice for your kid’s teacher. Hey, it’s Christmas anyway. Your kids may complain about the amount of homework she gives, but I can assure you that she logs a lot more time on her “homework” than she give out. Most teachers spend a good bit of their own money on stuff for bulletin boards and materials that aren’t provided. Maybe you could find a way to help out with those costs without violating any school policies.
Or just say thank you. Just remember: This is someone who, for reasons that aren’t always clear, would die for your kid. I’d bet my own life on it.

I don't know a single person that I've ever worked with, in any school, that wouldn't do the exact same thing for your child

Edited by stawns, 17 December 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#755 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#756 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

#757 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Posted Image

#758 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Posted Image

This is tantamount to sticking your fingers in yer ears and humming .. the US never used guns at Hiroshima either .. your point is?

#759 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Posted Image

And your point would be????

And as a result the US established strict regulations for the sale of ammonium nitrate fertilizer.

Authorities have good reason to be concerned with fertilizer-based explosives. In one of the most horrific cases of domestic terrorism, Americans Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols were convicted of detonating a bomb made with large quantities of ammonium nitrate fertilizer outside a federal building in Oklahoma City in 1995, killing 168 people.

Since then, ammonium nitrate fertilizer has become so heavily regulated that many farm supply stores have stopped selling it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-sends-letter-warning-fertilizer-purchases-explosives/story?id=12991048#.UNDNveTAcrU

This has not happened with past mass shootings using semi-automatic assault weapons with high capacity magazines.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#760 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

the point is right there in the picture, outlawing guns won't stop murderers and psyschopaths from killing people and probably won't even stop a large number of them from getting guns, you alot think these guys get their guns legally anyways? and i'm not talking about 20 year olds that live in the mom's basements

#761 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

:picard:

Just because other atrocities have occured that have zero relation to this one we should ignore the opportunities to eliminate something like Newton, Aurora, Columbine, etc in the future?

Great logic there, champ!
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#762 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Ok say you do then anoher tragedy happens using a different weapon, outlaw it too?

tragedies like this happen cause the media makes killers look like celebrities

#763 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Ok say you do then anoher tragedy happens using a different weapon, outlaw it too?

If it has the capabilities of automatic assault rifles? YES!
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#764 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

the point is right there in the picture, outlawing guns won't stop murderers and psyschopaths from killing people and probably won't even stop a large number of them from getting guns, you alot think these guys get their guns legally anyways? and i'm not talking about 20 year olds that live in the mom's basements

Gun control legislation in respect of certain firearms, ammunition and high capacity magazines as well as safe storage and transport of same (such as we have in Canada) falls under the heading of "harm reduction", not harm elimination.

No one is claiming gun control regulations will completely eliminate such events.

You are employing a logical fallacy known as a Straw Man.

Posted Image

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#765 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

ok brb changing the US Constitution

#766 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

The US previously had a federal ban on assault weapons signed by President Clinton in 1994 that expired in 2004 due to a "sunset clause" that outlawed 18 specific firearms and provided a matrix for classifying other semi-automatic rifles, handguns and shotguns as illegal. The law also limited high capacity magazines.
http://en.wikipedia....ult_Weapons_Ban
http://www.huffingto...5_b_845590.html

Passed by Congress on Sept. 13, 1994, and signed by Bill Clinton later that day, the Federal Assault Weapons Ban prohibited the manufacturing of 18 specific models of semiautomatic weapons, along with the manufacturing of high-capacity ammunition magazines that could carry more than 10 rounds. The ban had a provision that allowed it to expire in September 2004.

Several attempts were made in Congress to re-up the ban, the most recent in June 2008, according to the Library of Congress, but none of them have been successful. Republicans generally opposed it; high-profile Democrats typically shied away from the issue.

In the second presidential debate of the 2012 campaign, President Obama said he was interested in re-instituting the ban.

"Weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don't belong on our streets. And so what I'm trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally," the president said. "Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/newtown-connecticut-shootings-assault-weapons-ban-work/story?id=18000724#.UNDS7OTAcrU

This latest shooting may provide the impetus to introduce similar federal legislation.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 18 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#767 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

You are misinterpreting the Constitution .. you can have all the single shot muzzle loaders you want .. too bad the crafters of the Constitution were not more far sighted or they would have been more succinct .. and too bad the SCOTUS is so political ..

#768 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Funny how so few nuclear attacks there are. I wonder why that is?
You don't think that if nuclear devices were legal and freely available to citizens we'd see a few more?
Posted Image

#769 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

You are misinterpreting the Constitution .. you can have all the single shot muzzle loaders you want .. too bad the crafters of the Constitution were not more far sighted or they would have been more succinct .. and too bad the SCOTUS is so political ..

SCOTUS has not followed the strict construction interpretation model (aka "frozen concepts") in respect of the Second Amendment but has adopted the Canadian approach to constitutional interpretation that a constitution is organic and must be read in a broad and progressive manner so as to adapt it to the changing times (aka the Living Tree doctrine).

The living tree doctrine has been deeply entrenched into Canadian constitutional law since the seminal constitutional case of Edwards v. Canada (Attorney General) also widely known as the "Persons Case" wherein Lord Sankey stated in the 1929 decision:

"The British North America Act (now the Constitution Act 1867 )planted in Canada a living tree capable of growth and expansion within its natural limits."

This is also known as the Doctrine of Progressive Interpretation that means that the Constitution cannot be interpreted in the same way as an ordinary statute. Rather, it must be read within the context of society to ensure that it adapts and reflects changes. If constitutional interpretation adheres to the Framer's Intent and remains rooted in the past, the Constitution would not be reflective of society and eventually fall into disuse.

The "frozen concepts" reasoning runs contrary to one of the most fundamental principles of Canadian constitutional interpretation: that our Constitution is a living tree which, by way of progressive interpretation, accommodates and addresses the realities of modern life.

—Supreme Court of Canada, in its ruling, Re: Same-Sex Marriage, December 2004

In the Heller case (District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) ) SCOTUS was clear the right to bear arms was an individual right separate from the "well regulated militia" prefatory clause and that it must be interpreted in the light of firearms that were in current use and used for a lawful purpose such as self-defence.

SCOTUS also ruled that the Second Amendment right is not a right to keep and carry any weapon in any manner and for any purpose. The Court has upheld gun control legislation including prohibitions on concealed weapons and possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, and laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. The historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons supports the holding in United States v. Miller that the sorts of weapons protected are those in common use at the time.
http://www.lawnix.co.../dc-heller.html

Edited by Wetcoaster, 18 December 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#770 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,124 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Firstof all, no-one is talking about "outlawing" guns. We're talking about certain kinds of guns, such as the assault rifle used by Adam Lanza.

You know, the legally purchased weapon that a 20 year-old who lived in his mom's basement used to kill 20 children and 6 adults?

No-one believes that a ban on assault rifles will magically eliminate all shooting sprees. We're just hoping to stop some of them, or lessen the body count in the ones that do happen.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#771 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Better to arm students,eh? Self-help remedies work best.

Authorities say a Utah sixth-grader caught with a gun at school told administrators he brought the weapon to defend himself in case of an attack similar to the mass shooting last week in Newtown, Conn.

School officials say the 11-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of possessing a dangerous weapon and aggravated assault after other students told police he pointed the handgun at them on a field at a suburban Salt Lake City elementary school.

Officials say school staff confronted the boy in class after hearing he had a weapon and seized the unloaded gun and ammunition from his backpack Monday.

Authorities have not released the child's name and will not say where he got the gun. No one was injured.

The boy was due in juvenile court later Tuesday.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/utah-boy-brings-gun-school-cites-newtown-fears-18007237#.UNDnTeTAcrV

BTW in Canada he could not have been charged as we do not deal with offenders under the age of 12 in Youth Court.

#772 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,887 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Posted Image

This is perhaps the stupidest post I have ever seen, not only on CDC, but the entire internet...

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#773 vancouvercanucks2010

vancouvercanucks2010

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Disgusting.

America needs to implement strict gun control laws. I don't understand why so many of their citizens feel the need to own a firearm, and then defend their sale and use, even after an event like this. Stupid beyond belief...

And how can you do something like that to anyone, never mind young children, who don't have a hope in hell of defending themselves? :sadno:

Guns do not kill people, people use guns to kill. Using your argument, we shouldn't be using any tools because any of them can be used as weapon, don't drive your car because it can killed people, don't use your knives, see what a maniac can do with a knives in China? He stabbed 20+ children! Don't play baseball, the bat can be used to injure others! Don't stop there either, people's hand can be used as weapon as well (punching), i guess we need to chop our hands off!

There is no use to ban guns, the mobs are not going to follow the rules, the only group who lose would be law abiding citizens. In fact, an armed citizen had stopped a robbery by killing the thief.

http://usnews.nbcnew...illing-him?lite
GM game - Edmonton Oilers
Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
O'Sullivan - Gagner - Cogliano
Moreau - Pisani - Nilsson
Stortini

Visnovsky - Souray
Grebeshkov - Gilbert
Staios

Delauriers

#774 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

did you miss this one?

All finished kicking puppies and yelling at children about the non-existence of Santa already? Pretty sure there are still some Christmas stockings to steal and decorated trees you could go set fire to.

Perhaps a Christmas miracle will occur, and like the Grinch, your heart might grow a little....well, let me rephrase that........ perhaps you'll grow a heart, period.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 18 December 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#775 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Posted Image
le temps restitué

#776 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO64urOFNaY

Redundant. Try and keep up, will you. It was already posted last night.

https://www.youtube....h?v=IO64urOFNaY

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 18 December 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#777 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

are you the puppy or the stocking?
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#778 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Edited by Norman Clegg, 18 December 2012 - 04:33 PM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#779 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

drop the gun, pick up the blade
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#780 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

drop the gun, pick up the blade

Or like you, do nothing, pretend there isn't anything wrong and act surprised when it happens again next week

Those who do no learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Edited by Norman Clegg, 18 December 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.