842 replies to this topic

#121 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

An incredibly horrific thing has happened Ed , and all you seem concerned with is jerking other cdc members strings .

I was responding to another CDC member jerking my strings. If someone jerks my strings well it can be expected to have their strings jerked back too. And yes it does take away from this tragedy which is unfortunate. But I'm still free to voice my opinion of what the root cause of these events is and that's all I have done.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#122 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Ed .. why not go for a walk with hopes your brain catches up with your mouth .. you are not acting very "special" at the moment ..

You could come for a walk with me and let something catch up with your brain as well. You want to toss around insults here be my guess. I will answer to every insult thrown at me first. I have the right to voice my opinion. Don't like it, don't respond. Simple yeah?

Edited by Special Ed, 14 December 2012 - 01:58 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#123 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have already outlined my thoughts on how the media - and mainly social media - provides the attention needed for these killers to do more than just kill themselves. They want people to visit those pages and link to other sites such as this. They want everyone to see it and know who they are. So yes, to me it has everything to do about Facebook, twitter and any media outlet who's primary story is the one we are discussing. Thats my opinion. Go ahead and not be polite to me. I'd love to see what you have on your mind.

That's funny, because I asked you to explain why Facebook and Twitter were responsible and you completely ignored my post.

#124 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yawn... I just repeated what I had already said earlier. I don't see any reason to confirm anything. Looks like you're all bark and no bite. Shame not everyone has the same view point as you and could actually have the audacity to criticize your precious Facebook and twitter. Of which I'm already sure you spend too much time on and are completely biased in that regard.

:lol:

I just don't feel the need to overstate the ridiculousness of your 'opinion'. You exhibit that all by yourself ......by repeating it.

You would be incorrect. (Quelle surprise) I don't have twitter and spend maybe a half hour tops on FB in a day as it is merely another tool to be in touch with family and friends who live outside of the country. But you hang in there sunshine, better go answer your crank phone now.....technology is not a favourite of yours, apparently.

Sooo. still waiting for you to answer scottish7canucks questions about the ills of FB and Twitter as it regards this tragedy today. Didn't see this murderer hanging around to enjoy the fruits of his labours on FB or twitter or in the media. You choose to ignore his question because you can't answer it, just admit it.

Really really hate all the CNN speculation.....it reminds me why I prefer Canadian coverage. What a horrible, horrible day for so many people. No words can ever sum up the events of today. :(

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 02:10 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#125 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have already outlined my thoughts on how the media - and mainly social media - provides the attention needed for these killers to do more than just kill themselves. They want people to visit those pages and link to other sites such as this. They want everyone to see it and know who they are. So yes, to me it has everything to do about Facebook, twitter and any media outlet who's primary story is the one we are discussing. Thats my opinion. Go ahead and not be polite to me. I'd love to see what you have on your mind.

I bet that played a big part for Brenda Spencer :rolleyes:

Edit: and I can't stand FB or twitter either but in no way are those mediums of conversation to blame for this

Edited by Shift-4, 14 December 2012 - 02:03 PM.

Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#126 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

That's funny, because I asked you to explain why Facebook and Twitter were responsible and you completely ignored my post.

Yes I ignored it. And will continue to ignore it. Cheers ;) if you can't figure out why I have already mentioned it several times. Now you're just trolling. Hence the ignore.

Edited by Special Ed, 14 December 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#127 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,837 posts

You could come for a walk with me and let something catch up with your brain as well. You want to toss around insults here be my guess. I will answer to every insult thrown at me first. I have the right to voice my opinion. Don't like it, don't respond. Simple yeah?

You act beyond simple .. I am glad you recognize that .. and you could not keep up with me, Ed .. not sure why you try to attack people at times like this ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 14 December 2012 - 02:02 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#128 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yes I ignored it. And will continue to ignore it. Cheers ;) if you can't figure out why I have already mentioned it several times. Now you're just trolling. Hence the ignore.

Then what's the point in you being here if you can't even back up your own viewpoint....? You made one single reference to Facebook, which was:

They know you will visit their Facebook page after and it's exactly things like that they want.

That's it? That's the basis for your argument? Not sure how I'm trolling either...

Reports are now suggesting that Ryan Lanza wasn't the shooter, but his brother Adam. Which would explain the Facebook situation.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 14 December 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#129 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,765 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Ed .. why not go for a walk with hopes your brain catches up with your mouth .. you are not acting very "special" at the moment ..

When my ol' Grandpa says something senile, slightly racist, or borderline nutty, I tend to just nod and ignore. I suggest we just treat 'Special'Ed like an old, senile grandpa and just move on.

Columbine. Before Facebook.

Edited by Down by the River, 14 December 2012 - 02:06 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#130 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

When my ol' Grandpa says something senile, slightly racist, or borderline nutty, I tend to just nod and ignore. I suggest we just treat 'Special'Ed like an old, senile grandpa and just move on.

+1 to you. Good post.

#131 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Total child count reportedly up to 20, 26 total dead

#132 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I shall .. thank you for adding a semblance of "sense" to it all ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#133 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Total child count reportedly up to 20, 26 total dead

Odd that you would treat this like a sporting event.

#134 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,765 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Odd that you would treat this like a sporting event.

While I completely disagree with SpecialEd's theory that mass shootings result from Facebook/Twitter, I do believe that posts like the one you quoted are very much a product of our society's emphasis on social media and the importance of being 'first' to report things (just look at the first page of any GDT). We never think about the emotional element, what this means for people's families. What hundreds of children must be feeling right now. How scared they are, how panicked their parents must be.

Instead, we want numbers. How many dead? How many shots fired? What are the death statistics? Who the frack cares whether its 10, 15, 20? Many people are dead, it that is a tragedy.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#135 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

If the reports are true, you've got to wonder what's going through the head of Ryan Lanza.

He's accused of mass murder and threatened, and then finds out that his whole family is dead and his brother is responsible for all of this...

#136 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

http://www.psycholog...-murder-motives

In response to the mass murder in Aurora, CO, we seek to know why. James Holmes, 24, was arrested for allegedly entering a theater during a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises. Reports say he was dressed in riot gear, with a gas mask, and that he threw a canister into the audience before he began to shoot. With a dozen dead and many hurt, people want answers and they want them now. However, when media outlets oblige, early reports can mislead.
In truth, there are many different types of motive for mass murder, ranging from revenge to despair to free-floating rage at the world. Some people develop visions of annihilation, while others seek headlines. For the Aurora incident, we should allow time for a proper analysis. The shooter himself might not realize the many threads that wove into his stunning act of violence.

I’ve been reading Dave Cullen’s book, Columbine, about the 1999 massacre in Littleton, CO. I find many of his insights to be quite relevant to the Aurora incident. Notably, Cullen dissects the media coverage to explain how the many myths and misunderstandings emerged about shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Some persist even today (and Cullen admits his own role as a journalist back then in contributing to the errors). In the chaos, reporters had recreated the incident via contradictory eyewitness accounts and brief law enforcement reports, but this “need-to-know-now” approach typically produces errors.

It’s surprising how many media “facts” emerged about the Columbine shooters and how long the errors have endured. Cullen offers a careful account, using interviews and documents that were unavailable until years after the shooting. He includes what we know about the distortion factors in perception and memory, and his evaluation easily generalizes to other headline-grabbing massacres.

Having spent nine years on research, Cullen suggests that Harris had groomed a depressed Klebold for the day of destruction. Harris’s journals detail an intense hatred of his “inferiors,” which included just about everyone. Far from being unbearably bullied, he himself could be a bully. More to the point, Harris had “extinction fantasies” about wiping out other people.

In The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness, psychoanalyst and social philosopher Erich Fromm described extinction fantasies as an aspect of “necrophilism,” which can feed malignant aggression. People with a "necrophilous character" are guided by a set of values that glorifies death and demolition.

Malignant aggression, accordng to Fromm, is rooted in the desire to make a distinct mark on one’s world. Such people often have dreams about dismembered parts or rooms full of corpses. They have trouble relating to others and tend to feel bored. Preferring dark colors, they’re often obsessed with devices of destruction or role models who carried out large-scale slaughters. They feel a smirking superiority toward others, often being insensitive about tragedies that involved a loss of life.

As Klebold struggled with a sense of failure, equating suicide with tranquility and escape, Harris aimed his hatred outward. He attended closely to stories of prior school shootings. The way these young men reinforced each other’s dark side is a striking factor in their “mission.” Each time they worked on their plans, laughing over who might die, they took another step closer to action. Setting a date, collecting weapons, and having a clear target and a stated purpose increased the probability that they would play out their fatal scenario.

Although the shooting in Aurora differs in many ways from the Columbine massacre, one thing is certain: pressure to identify a simple reason is a mistake. A motive for planned violence of this magnitude generally simmers for a while, absorbing support from multiple sources until it reaches the boiling point. If we want perspective that could help us understand and prevent, we’ll need to be patient. It’s unlikely that immediate post-incident observations will be definitive.

--------

This article outlines how media(social media/Facebook/twitter ect ect) can ADD to the 'boiling point' which the article refers. Even the 'frenzy' here in this thread is a clear example. And that's my point is that the kind of coverage these events get can feed future potential mass killings. Even us here blowing up this thread on the issue - and rightly so - could in fact add to the problem. The more attention, the more glorification for 'necrophilism'. Hope that clears things up a little better for those who may have misunderstood my posts.

#137 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

While I completely disagree with SpecialEd's theory that mass shootings result from Facebook/Twitter, I do believe that posts like the one you quoted are very much a product of our society's emphasis on social media and the importance of being 'first' to report things (just look at the first page of any GDT). We never think about the emotional element, what this means for people's families. What hundreds of children must be feeling right now. How scared they are, how panicked their parents must be.

Instead, we want numbers. How many dead? How many shots fired? What are the death statistics? Who the frack cares whether its 10, 15, 20? Many people are dead, it that is a tragedy.

umm, excuse me? I'm just reporting that new news has come in. This is a tragedy that I've been following all morning, it's not like I said something disparaging about the children or in support of the shooter, I just reported that they'd updated and 2 more children have passed. I'm sorry?

#138 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

This article outlines how media(social media/Facebook/twitter ect ect) can ADD to the 'boiling point' which the article refers. Even the 'frenzy' here in this thread is a clear example. And that's my point is that the kind of coverage these events get can feed future potential mass killings. Even us here blowing up this thread on the issue - and rightly so - could in fact add to the problem. The more attention, the more glorification for 'necrophilism'. Hope that clears things up a little better for those who may have misunderstood my posts.

No it doesn't. It briefly mentions the media in general, but there is no mention whatsoever of social media in that article.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 14 December 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#139 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Wow that's messed up.

#140 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

When I saw that the weapon was a .223 calibre I had a slight twinge. In fairness to our American neighbors I can personally attest to the fact that you could buy such a weapon (specifically an AR 15 which is a civilian M 16) here in Victoria at Robinson's sporting goods as far back as 1976 without much fuss. How do I know that? A "friend" of mine thought it essential that he own one of these ridiculous weapons despite their being totally unsuitable for any kind of peaceful purpose (i.e. hunting) because he was too young to go to Vietnam and kill "gooks". Unfortunately he didn't realise that you should perhaps store these things unloaded and with the safety on and one fateful day he was showing it off to a U.K. born friend who had never SEEN a gun before and before you knew it the damned thing had gone off... right into my chest. 10 ribs, one lung and about 20 pints of blood later I was still alive, barely. My "friend" got in very little trouble (had his collection of guns taken away, that's it) and soon afterwards he returned to his native USA where he joined the US Army and became a decorated war hero as a result of his shooting up "sand ni**ers" in Desert Storm. Today he is a very well respected man where he lives.

I'm with Bertuzzi Babe on this one; this kind of stuff has been going on since before the telephone. The media is shameless in their attempts to get the "story" but I'm pretty sure when the facts are known we will find out that there is mental illness involved and perhaps domestic violence issues as well. Combine these with automatic weapons and you have a recipe for disaster. I feel so bad for the literally hundreds of people affected by this tragedy. R.I.P. And there but for the grace of God go I...

#141 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

But that's not what you said. You said, and I quote:

So yes, to me it has everything to do about Facebook, twitter and any media outlet who's primary story is the one we are discussing.

Nothing here ^^^ about either of those 'adding' to a boiling point already in place. Nobody 'misunderstood' you, your specific words are there in black and white for everyone to see. But nice try to attempt to backpedal your way out of it and the expectation that the onus is on you to back up frivolous claims. Fail.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 02:46 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#142 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Total gun ban. Now!
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#143 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

No it doesn't. It briefly mentions the media in general, but there is no mention whatsoever of social media in that article.

Right so social media and media are completely different. And the primary story on twitter or Facebook is not the story which is primarily being discussed on CDC. :rolleyes:

I wonder why it's called 'social MEDIA'.

Edited by Special Ed, 14 December 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#144 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,765 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

umm, excuse me? I'm just reporting that new news has come in. This is a tragedy that I've been following all morning, it's not like I said something disparaging about the children or in support of the shooter, I just reported that they'd updated and 2 more children have passed. I'm sorry?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to point to your post specifically. Moreso Twitter nation and the like who seem to always emphasize being first to 'know' things, first to post them, first to report them, etc.

It's like back in the day when toy commercials would advertise "be the first of your friends to collect all four". Now, it seems that people have overstated the importance of being first to report things. I wasn't trying to call you out in particular for reporting what you heard, it was meant to be a general statement

#145 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,849 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Fighting back tears...I'm at a loss for words...tragedy to say the least...it's just not right...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#146 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, that's my point. People are always like '20 dead...no wait! 22 dead!' like that matters one bit.

Whether it is 1 person or 100, it's still tragic. Likewise whether it is gunned down in a school, mowed down in a car crash or any other way where you die innocently/unexpectedly it is tragic. But we're so desensitized to it, we only really pay attention when it's something like this. So we get caught up in 'largest mass murder ever!' like we're talking about hockey stats.

It's pathetic.

#147 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,765 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thank you. I read that article twice trying to figure out what I was missing. I think SpecialEd is trying to stretch what is being said in the article by suggesting that individuals are more likely to engage in mass shootings because the media hypes these stories and provides such expansive coverage, and thus makes the act seem, in the eyes of the killer, more glamorous and attention-grabbing.

IMO, there are far more deeper issues, issues with mental health, gun control, bullying, economic disparity, lack of community efficacy, disolvement of social programs, etc.

Posted Image

On the economic front, gun violence was higher in states with lower average incomes. Similarly, gun violence was less likely in states with more college graduates and stronger knowledge-based economies. Gun violence was also higher in states that tend to vote Republican.

Firearm deaths are significantly lower in states with stricter gun control legislation. Though the sample sizes are small, we find substantial negative correlations between firearm deaths and states that ban assault weapons (-.45), require trigger locks (-.42), and mandate safe storage requirements for guns (-.48).

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2012/07/geography-gun-violence/2655/#.UAmoCSc9gDE.mailto

Edited by Down by the River, 14 December 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#148 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,654 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Gotta give it to the teachers of the school. By the sounds of it, they acted quickly and made the kids huddle up in classrooms. The kids were told to cover their eyes as they evacuated the school so that they wouldn't see the bodies of the dead. Just so horrific. Can't imagine a kindergarten class being shot up like that. The kids were too young to even process what was going on. It'll be interesting to find out what his motive was for doing that to his mom's class of students. Not that it really matters I guess...

Hard to do anything today knowing that this is the world we live in.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#149 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

http://nj1015.com/ma...ia-posts-audio/

'Social media has been linked to mass shootings across the nation recently – with suspects posting warnings of possible attacks and violence on MySpace and Twitter, that law enforcement officials only discover after the incident.'

“What we’re seeing is isolated cases of troubled people, who did reach out in some capacity,” said Dr. Pamela Rutledge, director of the Media Psychology Research Center.

She says often times, ****mass murderers are looking for their fifteen minutes of fame****,but its also tough to pinpoint if one of your cyber friends might actually be dangerous.

Edited by Special Ed, 14 December 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#150 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Right so social media and media are completely different. And the primary story on twitter or Facebook is not the story which is primarily being discussed on CDC. :rolleyes:

I wonder why it's called 'social MEDIA'.

I'm not sure of exactly what you're trying to get across Ed.

You said the article proved why Facebook/Twitter were responsible for these kind of events, when it didn't. It didn't even mention it. And yes, there is a distinct difference between "the media" and social media.

Earlier I acknowledged that media could potentially be ONE factor in these sort of events. But don't you think that you're making a huge assumption saying that social media is directly responsible for this sort of thing. I mean, you claim that it's a bigger factor than gun control...

EDIT: Down By The River has it spot on.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 14 December 2012 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.