#151 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

http://nj1015.com/ma...ia-posts-audio/

'Social media has been linked to mass shootings across the nation recently – with suspects posting warnings of possible attacks and violence on MySpace and Twitter, that law enforcement officials only discover after the incident.'

“What we’re seeing is isolated cases of troubled people, who did reach out in some capacity,” said Dr. Pamela Rutledge, director of the Media Psychology Research Center.

She says often times, [/bold]mass murderers are looking for their fifteen minutes of fame[bold], but its also tough to pinpoint if one of your cyber friends might actually be dangerous.

OMG!!! :frantic: :shock: People are now posting warnings on Facebook and Twitter instead of leaving notes in their rooms or lockers or cars to be discovered later. Damn that Facebook and Twitter, damn them I say!!! It's turning people into mass murderers!! :rolleyes: Jesus Bloody Murphy and Christ On A Crutch. :picard:

You can't prove your own words posted in black and white, just quit backpedaling and trying to save face and admit that your posted words are/were wrong.

Just to remind you:

So yes, to me it has everything to do about Facebook, twitter

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 02:59 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#152 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,377 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Any Idiot in america can go out and get a gun. The result is way too many murder suicides, maybe this will finally wake them up.
Sick.

Subbancopy.jpg

#153 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,464 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

http://nj1015.com/ma...ia-posts-audio/

'Social media has been linked to mass shootings across the nation recently – with suspects posting warnings of possible attacks and violence on MySpace and Twitter, that law enforcement officials only discover after the incident.'

"What we're seeing is isolated cases of troubled people, who did reach out in some capacity," said Dr. Pamela Rutledge, director of the Media Psychology Research Center.

She says often times, ****mass murderers are looking for their fifteen minutes of fame****,but its also tough to pinpoint if one of your cyber friends might actually be dangerous.

I think the bolded directly contradicts what you have been trying to say. If Social Media is providing people who are normally isolated an opportunity to reach out to others, wouldn't that suggest that Social Media helps prevent such incidents? This is not my argument, but it is the one being made in the article you have provided, and this argument is contrary to your original argument.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#154 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

And there are people who say that guns don't kill people...

#155 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

shooting up a kindergarten what a fcken disgusting thing to do

Edited by rampage, 14 December 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#156 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

http://www.academia....e_United_States

There is another very informative article. Which lists 'media' as having been one of three criteria for 28 mass murders. The other two being the individual was male and lived in the United States since the 1970s.

Interestingly enough 'social exclusion' is discussed as also being a contributing factor here. Which is why many of these attacks occur at schools and threats conveyed on social media sites. This has more to do with a social disconnect as opposed to guns in my opinion.

Glorification through the media is the perfect way for them to 'get back at society' and why it's hard for the killers to resist letting out some indicators of what they plan.

Edited by Special Ed, 14 December 2012 - 03:27 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#157 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Truly sad day. What a tragedy. As a father of 2 children in elementary school and approximate ages of the children that perished this is especially heart breaking. I pray for those angels and their families.

#158 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,002 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

If you're so against media, then get off it, Ed.
Posted Image

#159 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

I think the bolded directly contradicts what you have been trying to say. If Social Media is providing people who are normally isolated an opportunity to reach out to others, wouldn't that suggest that Social Media helps prevent such incidents? This is not my argument, but it is the one being made in the article you have provided, and this argument is contrary to your original argument.

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I was going to post, but you just did it for me so now I don't have to. Thanks.

#160 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

The killers use social media to convey warnings. I believe the article suggests that those warnings could better be picked up on. However it's the 'media frenzy' aspect and glorification which can directly lead to the crimes actually being committed. I have just previously added another article which goes into a few other good points. Good read on how male masculinity being suppressed is another outlining factor which I can get behind.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#161 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

There is another very informative article. Which lists 'media' as having been one of three criteria for 28 mass murders. The other two being the individual was male and lived in the United States since the 1970s.

So in other words you're sitting on Google right now desperately trying to find evidence to back up your point?

And again, the article isn't directly related to social media, or even media. The subject is hegemonic masculinity...

Also, by discussing this on CDC are you not going against what you believe in?

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 14 December 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#162 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

POPULAR

This is not a thread for some of you to have a pissing fight in. Go somewhere else. All of you not just ED. You ppl arguing with him are just as bad. Keep telling him he's out of line while you are doing the same thing.

I made a thread for you. If you want to have a pissing fight click link and do it there.

http://forum.canucks...illings-in-usa/

Edited by WHL rocks, 14 December 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#163 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

This is not a thread for some of you to have a pissing fight in. Go somewhere else. All of you not just ED. You ppl arguing with him are just as bad. Keep telling him he's out of line while you are doing the same thing.

I made a thread for you. If you want to have a pissing fight click link and do it there.

Yet it's ok to go on for a page or so about gun control issues in the US but not to question a ridiculous comment about Facebook and Twitter being root causes for someone to go out and commit mass murder. Ok, there, Lancelot....

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 03:21 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#164 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,993 posts

This ish makes me Effin sick.
Posted Image

#165 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,160 posts

Hopefully now that Barrack obama is now a second term president , he can take on those freaks in the gun lobby and NRA , and restrict the sale of guns in america.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#166 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,464 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm just going to stop reading your articles, because I'm tired of looking for your own evidence.

In the link you provided, the authors argue (and this is all in the Results section of the article) that financial stressors were a common link between mass murderers.

The article also emphasizes hegemonic masculinity, something I don't agree with, but in any case, the authors argue that these mass murders result from man's attempt to 'save face' so to speak. Part of this hegemonic masculinity is related to social problems. Note, social problems, not social media problems. Such problems included bullying, racism, and social isolation (again, wouldn't social media be helpful in this case? It would allow people to connect with others).

Finally, the motivations for mass murder, as suggested in the article, are very diverse. There is no one motivation, but typically motivations have to do with strain (i.e. failure to obtain goals). Another common motivation is simply a fascination with weaponry (Supports gun control).

I should shoulder some of the blame, because the real issue here is that many families are going to have the worst Christmas of their lives. Many children won't get to even experience the Christmas they had been looking forward to seeing. That should be the focus of this thread, and I apologize for getting away from that.

Edited by Down by the River, 14 December 2012 - 03:39 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#167 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

While it was a tragic incident and I feel terribly for the victims and their families, this is a forum. The purpose of a forum is to host a discussion, is it not?

Call it a pissing fight if you want, but while you're up there on your high horse consider that I haven't insulted Ed at any point. I've simply raised issues with the posts that he has made and questioned his evidence for the claims he's making.

#168 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,037 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Disgusting.

America needs to implement strict gun control laws. I don't understand why so many of their citizens feel the need to own a firearm, and then defend their sale and use, even after an event like this. Stupid beyond belief...

And how can you do something like that to anyone, never mind young children, who don't have a hope in hell of defending themselves? :sadno:

i have seen something about this lately on german tv...american dad´s who proudly presented their shooting kids at a gun convention ..and how proud those kids were to do this ..and they wanted more...bigger guns..thats a sick country

#169 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Posted Image

#170 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

This obviously would not have happened if the faculty and students had had guns.

#171 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

I am furious. I can't believe this low life could ruin so many lives and take the lives of these precious little children. And the coward killed him self after.

I would love to be locked in a cell with this guy. I'd beat the crazy out of him

#172 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Posted Image

This is pretty much the stupidest ant-gun control argument of all the stupid anti-gun control arguments.
But its hard to tell because they're all so stupid.

Edited by Jägermeister, 14 December 2012 - 03:33 PM.

Posted Image

#173 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

This is pretty much the stupidest ant-gun control argument of all the stupid anti-gun control arguments.

you seriously think gun laws would prevent criminals from getting their hands on them? lol whatever makes you feel better, they can pretty much get anything they want with a simple phone call

#174 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

This is getting pretty friggin ridiculous. I'm just going to stop reading your articles, because I'm tired of looking for your own evidence.

In the link you provided, the authors argue (and this is all in the Results section of the article, I've made it easy for you since you seem to struggle with this kind of thing) that financial stressors were a common link between mass murderers.

The article also emphasizes hegemonic masculinity, something I don't agree with, but in any case, the authors argue that these mass murders result from man's attempt to 'save face' so to speak. Part of this hegemonic masculinity is related to social problems. Note, social problems, not social media problems. Such problems included bullying, racism, and SOCIAL ISOLATION (again, wouldn't social media be helpful in this case???? It would allow people to connect with others).

Finally, the motivations for mass murder, as suggested in the article, are very diverse. There is no one motivation, but typically motivations have to do with strain (i.e. failure to obtain goals). Another common motivation is simply a fascination with weaponry (YAY GUN CONTROL!!).

Normally I wouldn't be so condescending, or would at least apologize after it, but this is such a goddamn ridiculous argument. I should shoulder some of the blame, because the real issue here is that many families are going to have the worst Christmas of their lives. Many children won't get to even experience the Christmas they had been looking forward to seeing. That should be the focus of this thread, and I apologize for getting away from that.

Bullying, racism and social isolation are all social aspects which relate directly to social media sites. Nobody made a racial comment on a social media site? has nobody been bullied on Facebook??? If you wanted to you could all remove a friend on Facebook right? Well there's your social isolation which can occur and solidifies my point that media sites such as Facebook and twitter can NOT ONLY have damaging media glorification effects but damaging social effects as well. Social problems can be directly related to social media. As well the media glorification. So it's seems that social media has the 'best' of both worlds.

#175 CCF4E

CCF4E

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ehrhoff isn't from europe....

#176 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

you seriously think gun laws would prevent criminals from getting their hands on them? lol whatever makes you feel better, they can pretty much get anything they want with a simple phone call

SO why don't we have the same problem up here then? If it is sooooooooo easy.

#177 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Bullying, racism and social isolation are all social aspects which relate directly to social media sites. Nobody made a racial comment on a social media site? has nobody been bullied on Facebook??? If you wanted to you could all remove a friend on Facebook right? Well there's your social isolation which can occur and solidifies my point that media sites such as Facebook and twitter can NOT ONLY have damaging media glorification effects but damaging social effects as well. Social problems can be directly related to social media. As well the media glorification. So it's seems that social media has the 'best' of both worlds.

Columbine happened years before facebook, twitter and all these current social media sites even existed. It has nothing to do with social media

#178 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Gun violence in Canada and other countries with gun control laws < Gun violence in the US.
Firearm related death per capita rates are 2 times higher in the US than in Canada.
I wonder why that is? I bet it has something to do with the fact that you can buy a gun at superstores, or get a free one when you sign up for a bank account.
But you can go ahead and ignore all the logic and statistics if it makes you feel better.

Edited by Jägermeister, 14 December 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Posted Image

#179 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

SO why don't we have the same problem up here then? If it is sooooooooo easy.

Canada doesn't have mass shootings? :picard: is all i have to say to that statement

#180 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Canada doesn't have mass shootings? :picard: is all i have to say to that statement

Damn, I must have missed our latest shooting of the week. Oh wait...

Edited by Dellins, 14 December 2012 - 03:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.