The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

This is not a thread for some of you to have a pissing fight in. Go somewhere else. All of you not just ED. You ppl arguing with him are just as bad. Keep telling him he's out of line while you are doing the same thing.

I made a thread for you. If you want to have a pissing fight click link and do it there.

/topic/337370-does-social-media-contribute-to-mass-killings-in-usa/">http://forum.canucks...illings-in-usa/

This is not a thread for some of you to have a pissing fight in. Go somewhere else. All of you not just ED. You ppl arguing with him are just as bad. Keep telling him he's out of line while you are doing the same thing.

I made a thread for you. If you want to have a pissing fight click link and do it there.

/topic/337370-does-social-media-contribute-to-mass-killings-in-usa/">http://forum.canucks...illings-in-usa/

Disgusting.

America needs to implement strict gun control laws. I don't understand why so many of their citizens feel the need to own a firearm, and then defend their sale and use, even after an event like this. Stupid beyond belief...

And how can you do something like that to anyone, never mind young children, who don't have a hope in hell of defending themselves? :sadno:

This is getting pretty friggin ridiculous. I'm just going to stop reading your articles, because I'm tired of looking for your own evidence.

In the link you provided, the authors argue (and this is all in the Results section of the article, I've made it easy for you since you seem to struggle with this kind of thing) that financial stressors were a common link between mass murderers.

The article also emphasizes hegemonic masculinity, something I don't agree with, but in any case, the authors argue that these mass murders result from man's attempt to 'save face' so to speak. Part of this hegemonic masculinity is related to social problems. Note, social problems, not social media problems. Such problems included bullying, racism, and SOCIAL ISOLATION (again, wouldn't social media be helpful in this case???? It would allow people to connect with others).

Finally, the motivations for mass murder, as suggested in the article, are very diverse. There is no one motivation, but typically motivations have to do with strain (i.e. failure to obtain goals). Another common motivation is simply a fascination with weaponry (YAY GUN CONTROL!!).

Normally I wouldn't be so condescending, or would at least apologize after it, but this is such a goddamn ridiculous argument. I should shoulder some of the blame, because the real issue here is that many families are going to have the worst Christmas of their lives. Many children won't get to even experience the Christmas they had been looking forward to seeing. That should be the focus of this thread, and I apologize for getting away from that.

Bullying, racism and social isolation are all social aspects which relate directly to social media sites. Nobody made a racial comment on a social media site? has nobody been bullied on Facebook??? If you wanted to you could all remove a friend on Facebook right? Well there's your social isolation which can occur and solidifies my point that media sites such as Facebook and twitter can NOT ONLY have damaging media glorification effects but damaging social effects as well. Social problems can be directly related to social media. As well the media glorification. So it's seems that social media has the 'best' of both worlds.

Archived