The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

I'm doing my PhD. I do research for a living. Methodological issues are not grasping at straws, they are the crux of any research-related paper. Issues with a study's methodology calls into question any of the results that are presented. Your translation of methodological issues as 'who the ???? knows', is entirely incorrect, because we do know what the issue is. The issue is that the study that supported concealed gun permits was not actually able to show that the crime rate was reduced because of the law permitting concealed firearms.

Nor do I. In fact, I think bringing up gun control is the right thing to do.

I brought it up when the Aurora shooting happened in July and if people in the US had listened, just maybe some or all of those kindergarteners would be alive to make Christmas something more than a living hell for their parents this year.

The number of people killed vs response to those ways has never been remotely considered.

We lose our collective shiate when this happens, but far more people die daily in car crashes. The reaction to that? Ho hum, so what. I would imagine more people die from falling fridges than terrorism but look where we're spending our money there.

To think we'd act according to the actual need would mean logic and rational thinking, something politicians and the throbbing masses aren't interested in.

The number of people killed vs response to those ways has never been remotely considered.

We lose our collective shiate when this happens, but far more people die daily in car crashes. The reaction to that? Ho hum, so what. I would imagine more people die from falling fridges than terrorism but look where we're spending our money there.

To think we'd act according to the actual need would mean logic and rational thinking, something politicians and the throbbing masses aren't interested in.

How would you do that though?

I mean try to hold a significant portion of your population at gunpoint while you search their property, and hope you don't trigger an insurrection or the separation of multiple states?

Even here in Canada, back in the heyday of the Cretien Liberals, a sweeping seizure of firearms was viewed as being too unpredictable in its consequences.

Problem: There's a whole lot of gun owners who that punishes.. and chances are very good they aren't mass murderers or even criminals.

Also, good luck in controlling billions of bullets.

Says you.

Thankfully the US Constitution (which was written by people I have significant respect for) says otherwise.

Not even remotely true, we have hundreds upon thousands of traffic laws and vehicle safety requirements designed to prevent deadly car crashes. If the States had even a fraction of that many regulations concerning guns, sh*t like this would stop happening on such a regular basis.

That's likely because you guys are arguing about stupid and pointless stuff. Are strawberries a deterrent to nuclear winter?

As far as the US is concerned..

Guns only may be a deterrent to a crime. There's too many types of crimes, too many ways to commit a crime, to many variables that caused a crime, to simply blame one thing like a gun for deterring a crime or some swath of crimes.

Gun control laws do not work and the premise is simple -- gun control laws only limit the LEGAL usage of guns. Criminals in the US, who have no problem attaining a gun, or any items to kill someone or a bunch of people, do not give two flying s***s about what is legal and what is not. Why would they care about gun control laws? Laws are not a deterrent to people who don't care about them. Does one really need a study to figure this out?

1897 people in the US were killed with knives/sharp objects in 2008. Stop knives before they stop you.

^_^

Archived