The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michigan passes bill allowing concealed weapons in schools, day care centers, stadiums, churches

dudeone

What, do you require documented photographic evidence the next time I travel across Canada by train? I mean I've only been doing it for 30 years, and only did a few dozen times, tell me what I've missed!

Captain Obvious says that the majority of Canada's newly arrived immigrants settle in a few locations, and that outside of those its mostly Anglo and French white or native.

Its not like the U.S., which has at least double the % of minority groups and a much more varied mix of white ethnic backgrounds.

Culture is culture whether it's in the US, Canada, or on Mars. Lack of diversity means lack of culture.. having spent over 30 years living in minority-majority cities, I have a slight clue. I don't even think you know what you were asserting anymore, pretending that debating with you equates to taking it personally. Whatever floats your boat.

In Canada multiculturalism is not only an official government policy, it is also entrenched in out Constitution.

This was stated clearly in 1971 in the House of Commons by PM Trudeau (and all parties agreed) when multiculturalism was promulgated as an official policy of Canada.

The government accepts and endorses the recommendations and spirit of Book IV of the Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism. It believes the time is overdue for the people of Canada to become more aware of the rich tradition of the many cultures we have in Canada. Canada's citizens come from almost every country in the world, and bring with them every major world religion and language. This cultural diversity endows all Canadians with a great variety of human experience. The government regards this as a heritage to treasure and believes that Canada would be the poorer if we adopted assimilation programs forcing our citizens to forsake and forget the cultures they have brought to us.

Canadian identity will not be undermined by multiculturalism. Indeed, we believe that cultural pluralism is the very essence of Canadian identity. Every ethnic group has the right to preserve and develop its own culture and values within the Canadian context. To say we have two official languages is not to say we have two official cultures, and no particular culture is more "official" than another. A policy of multiculturalism must be a policy for all Canadians.

~ Appendix to Hansard, October 8, 1971 when multiculturalism was adopted as the official policy of Canada

There is protection of minority rights and individual freedoms as well as individuals not being forced to adopt some concept of Canadian culture (and BTW there is no official culture) are at the core of Canadian law.

(T)here cannot be one cultural policy for Canadians of British and French origin, another for the original peoples and yet a third for all others.
For although there are two official languages, there is no official culture, nor does any ethnic group take precedence over any other. No citizen or group of citizens is other than Canadian, and all should be treated fairly.

~Prime Minster Pierre Elliott Trudeau - House of Commons Debates, October 8, 1971 upon the announcement of Canada's policy of multiculturalism within a bilingual framework.

As noted there is no official Canadian culture - we are multicultural nation and cultural pluralism is one of our core values entrenched in our Constitution.

Multicultural heritage

27. This Charter shall be interpreted in a manner consistent with the preservation and enhancement of the multicultural heritage of Canadians.

Per the Canadian Multiculturalism Act, R.S.C., 1985, c. 24 (4th Supp.)

MULTICULTURALISM POLICY OF CANADA

Multiculturalism policy

3. (1) It is hereby declared to be the policy of the Government of Canada to

(a) recognize and promote the understanding that multiculturalism reflects the cultural and racial diversity of Canadian society and acknowledges the freedom of all members of Canadian society to preserve, enhance and share their cultural heritage;

(
B)
recognize and promote the understanding that multiculturalism is a fundamental characteristic of the Canadian heritage and identity and that it provides an invaluable resource in the shaping of Canada’s future;

(
c )
promote the full and equitable participation of individuals and communities of all origins in the continuing evolution and shaping of all aspects of Canadian society and assist them in the elimination of any barrier to that participation;

(d) recognize the existence of communities whose members share a common origin and their historic contribution to Canadian society, and enhance their development;

(e) ensure that all individuals receive equal treatment and equal protection under the law, while respecting and valuing their diversity;

(f) encourage and assist the social, cultural, economic and political institutions of Canada to be both respectful and inclusive of Canada’s multicultural character;

(g) promote the understanding and creativity that arise from the interaction between individuals and communities of different origins;

(h) foster the recognition and appreciation of the diverse cultures of Canadian society and promote the reflection and the evolving expressions of those cultures;

(i) preserve and enhance the use of languages other than English and French, while strengthening the status and use of the official languages of Canada; and

(j) advance multiculturalism throughout Canada in harmony with the national commitment to the official languages of Canada.

http://laws-lois.jus...7/FullText.html

The USA has no such counterpart and their laws and practise promote a model of assimilation to American culture.

One of the most striking differences is our different treatment of affirmative action programs. In Canada our multicultural policy mandates that affirmative action and employment equity be part of our laws and system while in the US affirmative action has been rejected.

In fact we specifically entrenched affirmative action in our Constitution as it naturally follows from our policy of multiculturalism.

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Such an approach in the US is unconstitutional as set out in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, 438 U.S. 265 (1978).

http://caselaw.lp.fi...ol=438&page=265

This US approach to affirmative action was considered and rejected at the time of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms being drafted and during the the Royal Commission on Equality in Employment ( the Abella Commission) which resulted in our Employment Equity Act. The formalistic US approach was rejected in favour of a restorative approach in which historic inequality was to be remedied by affirmative action. Again part and parcel of our multicultural heritage.

Judge Abella’s report later became the foundation of the Employment Equity Act of 1986, later amended as the Employment Equity Act of 1995. The purpose of the Act, as stated in the legislation itself, is:

The purpose of this Act is to achieve equality in the workplace so that no person shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability and, in the fulfillment of that goal, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment experienced by women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities by giving effect to the principle that employment equity means more than treating persons in the same way but also requires special measures and the accommodation of differences.

An assimilation model such as in the US would (and does) reject such a solution to historic inequality.

What, do you require documented photographic evidence the next time I travel across Canada by train? I mean I've only been doing it for 30 years, and only did a few dozen times, tell me what I've missed!

Captain Obvious says that the majority of Canada's newly arrived immigrants settle in a few locations, and that outside of those its mostly Anglo and French white or native.

Its not like the U.S., which has at least double the % of minority groups and a much more varied mix of white ethnic backgrounds.

All you have to do is compare the ethno-cultural makeup of the U.S. government and media personalities to that of their Canadian counterparts.

And the thing with Canada, is that not only are the collective ethno-cultural backgrounds less diverse, but most of the Somebodie's hail from Ontario or Quebec.

So bottom line is, Canada is a lot less diverse despite Trudeau's cynical and selective concept of Multiculturalism.

Not that I am questioning all of this, but what gives you the power to question anyone's qualifications - that is, if you make a statement like you did above, then what are you qualifications? Do you have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Cultural Studies??

As per the 2006 census Canada is 20% visible minority. The large portions being in our major cities.

As of 2010 US is 28% visible minority. The large portion being of Latino heritage and living in California and Texas, and African American living around the Gulf Coast.

Archived