The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michigan passes bill allowing concealed weapons in schools, day care centers, stadiums, churches

dudeone

http://www.latimes.c...0,2690925.story

Shooting: Samuel Jackson says fewer guns aren't necessarily the answer

The shootings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., have stirred up a slew of gun-control sentiment in Hollywood.

But an actor who stars in perhaps the most gun-heavy movie of the season says that an abundance of firearms in this country isn't necessarily the problem, and that reducing them isn't automatically the answer.

"I don't think it's about more gun control," said Samuel L. Jackson, who stars as a conniving house slave in Quentin Tarantino's upcoming revenge fantasy "Django Unchained.""I grew up in the South with guns everywhere and we never shot anyone. This [shooting] is about people who aren't taught the value of life."

perhaps Mr Jackson should look at the Mass murder map of the last 30 years and see if he holds on to those statements.

Wait a second. LMAO.

You conveniently left out this part of what he said.

Activists have also called for closing the "gun show loophole," under which people can purchase guns without a background check.

Jackson acknowledged that restrictions of this sort could reduce the amount of firearm-related violence. "We need to stop deranged people from getting access to guns," he said.

Jackson waved aside the idea that on-screen violence has an influence on someone who decides to behave violently in real life.

"I don't think movies or video games have anything to do with it," he said in an interview with The Times for an upcoming article about him. (Jackson has appeared in a public-service announcement calling for a reduction of violence in the inner city.)

This now seems like he's just trying to justify the movie.

Conveniently? Hardly, when I've suggested backgrounds, training, and permits be extended to make the wrong people legally attaining them more difficult, which certainly includes those few gun shows. I left that out because very very few are against this on either side of the debate.

As for the movie, he wouldn't need to justify anything, since violent movies aren't going anywhere, nor, just like a gun itself, are they to blame for a mentally deranged person acquiring a gun and killing a bunch of people.

He wouldn't need to look at a "map" or any anti-gun propaganda when he spent more time in the south than I've lived.

So on one hand you are blaming society and how society is and then on the other hand you are not blaming the individual faults that the society has. The love of guns, the hypocritical morals from the bible, The numbing of youth to violence through media/ games and brainwashing?

So you think someones anecdotal evidence is much more factual than actual facts now????

I've already covered more conventional wisdom against gun control and the thought process of blaming guns for crazy people using them throughout the topic.. being that I don't have OCD I'd rather not repost the same thing over and over for people who just joined the conversation. Feel free to search this topic and the Sandy Hook Shooting topic. "Actual facts".. quite humorous, that the people who throw around the word "facts" not only have the fewest, but are most susceptible to propaganda that primarily affects "religion".

As for the bible, I don't care for stupid religion, there's a piece of paper that declares guns are essential, by how useful they were in overthrowing a tyrannical government and protecting individual liberty.. it's the constitution.

As for the society is to blame thing.. Andrew Kehoe in the 1920s massacred students well before video games, and well before there was much if any TV violence at all. Oh, and he didn't use a gun. Society plays a role in what shapes others around them but it obviously varies, and where we need to learn more is about where a person's mental health derives from that puts them in a position to okay massacring a bunch of students/faculty.

Ok so which society had the problem with values? The previous one or the present one? It would seem the same inherent problems are there. The only real difference that could be made is that there are more guns today which seems to mean more gun play in such attacks. Seems logical.

Archived