The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michigan passes bill allowing concealed weapons in schools, day care centers, stadiums, churches

dudeone

There is already a model -- it's called the US Constitution.

There are also treaties that are full force of the law that do respect international views, but other countries do not make US law, and respect should be given to US sovereignty to make it's own laws first and foremost.

Controlling a gun, as in, attacking the gun, isn't going to affect murder rates because it doesn't address the problem as to what compels an American to murder someone. Unless your insinuation is a gun compels someone to murder another person, you're barking up the wrong tree.. again.

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm no fan of gun culture, and I have nothing to do with the NRA, but that also has little to do with what compels a person to murder others. They aren't promoting murder. In fact, the NRA has went along with regulations upon gun registration and permits. So I'd prefer to direct my ire to the real problem -- why Americans are far more compelled to kill other people than those in other first world nations.

I'm no fan of gun culture, and I have nothing to do with the NRA, but that also has little to do with what compels a person to murder others. They aren't promoting murder. In fact, the NRA has went along with regulations upon gun registration and permits. So I'd prefer to direct my ire to the real problem -- why Americans are far more compelled to kill other people than those in other first world nations.

There is already a model -- it's called the US Constitution.

There are also treaties that are full force of the law that do respect international views, but other countries do not make US law, and respect should be given to US sovereignty to make it's own laws first and foremost.

Am not talking about just simple murder cases that happens everywhere in the world. I am talking about mass shootings that seem to be the daily occurrence in US. What you don't get is that these psychos were able to have easy access to guns whether from a gun shop or from their mothers. You really think that some type of strict gun control won't make it difficult on them to acquire guns? They weren't some drug dealers that had access to guns sold on black market. Its funny that these suggestions I came up with has never been implemented and yet you say it doesn't work with total confidence as if it has been put to the test. Your theory and solutions aren't any more valid than mine. I can easily say your solution won't work either.

One of the many things I find quite strange about this recent shooter phenomenon, is that is that all of a sudden we have these nobodies coming out of the woowork and wracking up large body counts, yet Al Qaeda and the Jihad movement, aside from the Fort Hood shootings, haven't been able to do the same?

I mean with all their resources, and their willingness to die 20-1 or 50-1 against American combat troops overseas, you'd think they'd have been able to spare a few people and pull off some mass shootings if not a full fledged Mumbai type attack?

I lived in San Francisco for a few decades which has some of the strongest gun control in the nation and that didn't stop murders from happening at all, never mind with guns. It didn't change any murder rates that weren't already declining. I just speak from experience though, so don't mind me.

You wouldn't take their guns away. People who want to acquire a gun illegally will do so regardless of gun control laws. I wonder after how many times this might sink in..

There are several hundred million guns in the US, and billions of bullets.. you will not take away guns, and someone driven enough to find a gun will find one.

Attacking guns does not address the motivation to kill someone.

One of the many things I find quite strange about this recent shooter phenomenon, is that is that all of a sudden we have these nobodies coming out of the woowork and wracking up large body counts, yet Al Qaeda and the Jihad movement, aside from the Fort Hood shootings, haven't been able to do the same?

I mean with all their resources, and their willingness to die 20-1 or 50-1 against American combat troops overseas, you'd think they'd have been able to spare a few people and pull off some mass shootings if not a full fledged Mumbai type attack?

How is putting strict gun control in a single lone state is similar to putting strict gun controls on a national level? You tell me? When you can easily buy guns from a couple of states down the road, it doesn't really make a difference, does it? Its just like Canadians who go down to the States to do their shopping.

I haven't read this thread thoroughly so I don't know if it's been brought up, but I'm curious does anyone know if any recent massacres have actually had the shooters go into custody off the top of their head? Or have they all turned the guns of themselves/get killed by police?

I haven't read this thread thoroughly so I don't know if it's been brought up, but I'm curious does anyone know if any recent massacres have actually had the shooters go into custody off the top of their head? Or have they all turned the guns of themselves/get killed by police?

Wetcoaster, it's just conservative media doing what it does best...namely scaring the s**t out of people and as we all know, Fear is the great mind killer. Once you've been scared long enough and often enough by the same people you begin to believe without any question whatever they say about anything.

No doubt the media plays it's role in giving people the impression that there's a mass murderer around every corner.

And in contemporary US they have wilfully given up rights to government for the illusion of safety.

The one thing I will point out is it's certainly a "liberal" concept as well to scare people. I simply got tired of how many times I heard that Bush was re-starting the SSS and going to draft Americans into a world war, or suspend the constitution for a third term, or the best one, that George Bush did 9/11 and is plotting ways to detain all people who disagree with him or form some "one world government".

People are indeed scared, and when it comes to government they're scared of the right thing, but they're also scared of everyone else, including themselves, then turn around and allow the government they're scared of to, piece-by-piece, take away rights.

I really don't know what's going on with America. I've been trying to grasp this even when I lived there.. I just can't. The most logical thing to do if one cannot tolerate the mindset of which Americans operate concerning their mental state surrounding politics is to move elsewhere.

A thought occurred to me yesterday that maybe the frequency of these shootings plays a role in the continuation of these shootings...you know...sort of a "copycat" motive..possibly people are intrigued by these other lowlifes who have committed similar crimes, and, seeing how those stories were greatly sensationalized by the media, go for their "15 minutes of fame" in a blaze of glory, knowing that even though they are now dead they will have their name or picture in the newspaper...have the recognition, even though it is infamy they will be remembered in. I can't figure out what's going on here either, and I've lived here 30 years. I agree with you 100% that both sides of the media, liberal and conservative do a fair amount of fear mongering.

Archived