The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michigan passes bill allowing concealed weapons in schools, day care centers, stadiums, churches

dudeone

From my cold dead hands!

Yes, prevent people from getting guns, it would be better to have no guns at all - I just don't see that happening in my lifetime, not my kids, maybe not ever....so what's the alternative? How do we stop needless bloodshed? Maybe a 2 man swat team at every school? Seriously...bad guys have guns...most are already illegal, so how would say a gun law prevent anyone from owning one? Maybe prevent the "normal" people - but they aren't the ones doing the bloody killing now are they?!?

When reading this title I cannot help but remember the George Carlin bit when he says what he's waiting for is "guns in church"...says "and it'll happen, you just watch...some nutjob will go ape**** in a ****in' church and they'll refer to him as a "disgruntled worshiper"" For sanity's sake...I'm cognizant of the fact that a full gun ban would never happen in the US...but I do wish they would limit the access to them, especially in light of yesterday's atrocity.

You are only going to be effective if trying to get your "concealed killing machine" out of wherever you have cunningly hidden it does not trigger a hail of bullets sent your way .. effective killers shoot first and lecture after .. maybe you should hire a "swat" team for your Church? .. or maybe if your "God" cared he would keep you safe from harm? .. so many options .. maybe wear full body armor while out in public? ..

Fewer guns = fewer gun deaths, it isn't a difficult equation. In the US the states with the weakest gun laws and highest gun ownership have the highest firearm deaths per capita, the ones with the strongest laws and lowest ownership have the fewest. The US has the highest rate of gun ownership and not so coincidentally is the runaway leader among wealthy nations in firearm deaths per capita.

BTW don't patronize me, that is what has lead to many of our arguments in the past

No there are those against it and those that are wrong. It's been proven time and again and time and again that more guns don't make enough of a positive difference.

If we're making imaginary scenarios imagine if teachers carried concealed weapons (which isn't what this is talking about) yesterdays tragedy may have been more frequent when some teacher snapped or someone came into the school knowing there was already a glorious gun.

I'm not against guns...far from it actually I like guns but these sort of comments really bother me. More guns does not mean more safety or less tragedy. More regulations, more safety and less guns would go a lot further.

If you're going to war would you want 200 morons with fully automatic rifles who couldn't tie their own shoes properly let alone tell you where the safety was or would you rather have 10 highly trained marines with a Baretta M9?

From my cold dead hands!

Yes, prevent people from getting guns, it would be better to have no guns at all - I just don't see that happening in my lifetime, not my kids, maybe not ever....so what's the alternative? How do we stop needless bloodshed? Maybe a 2 man swat team at every school? Seriously...bad guys have guns...most are already illegal, so how would say a gun law prevent anyone from owning one? Maybe prevent the "normal" people - but they aren't the ones doing the bloody killing now are they?!?

To reiterate....the alternative and the way to stop the bloodshed is not to add more guns. Why are their so many illegal guns? Because there are so many guns. Do you think it's a coincidence that the amount of gun violence in general correlates with the amount of guns?

Here's some food for thought.

- 61 mass murders in the US since 82. Most weapons obtained legally. (by US standards)

-11 of the worst 20 mass shooting in the last 50 years happened in the US. Silver medal goes to finland with 2.

-More guns = more murders http://www.hsph.harv...eath/index.html

-States with stricter gun control laws have fewer deaths from gun related violence.

This is just from a quick google search. The Harvard link I'd read before and it's interesting.

What you going to do about those guns though? We're talking about a nation that possesses 40% of the total number of guns in the world, and is the world's 3rd large country by area.

You'll never be able to seize them all or even seriously dent the supply short of historically draconian measures.

Destroying them would come to mind. On top of that if the nation that purchases 40% of the worlds guns suddenly stops purchasing as much will the manufacturers keeps making as many guns?

Is the message here because it's hard don't do anything? Not implying just wondering.

Psychological problems happen everywhere and the reasons can be talked about until we're blue in the face. Doesn't change the statistics or the common sense of it though.

There are many studies that put the US in the lead or at least in the top percentage of mental disorders however those numbers don't relate to the amount of gun related violence in these countries. There is a better correlation however between gun control and gun related violence.

People try to get away from the saying "Guns don't kill people people kill people" but it is true. While it seems counter intuitive to what I'm saying I would ask if people kill people then how about we stop making it so easy for them.

How would psychology not be related? It's the difference between capital murder / first degree and pleading insanity. Obviously psychology is a HUGE part of what would motivate a person to go out and kill a bunch of people. It just doesn't placate to the overly simplistic and cosmetic anti-gun sound byte prevalent in this discussion.

How would you realistically go about doing that? To give an idea of how large that number is, consider that there are only roughly 15 million people serving in the world's armed forces...

Also consider that before smartphones, before the internet, before T.V. and radio, before the powered lawn mower, before the automobile etc etc, there were effective gun designs, meaning that firearms represent an old, old, easy to manufacture technology that anyone can pull off.

Especially in this era of cheap automated CNC mills and 3D printers, try successfully banning that.

Archived